Guests in First

Old Jun 20, 2007, 9:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir?
Your guest is more than welcome to sit in your buddy seat for drinks AFTER the meal service has been completed.
Does this sort of thing apply to J or only to F? This hasn't been my experience.

Travelling to Brazil earlier this year, I was in J (paying, not op-upped). My boyfriend was in Y. (Can we please not go into how this came about?) The crew were quite clear that he could not visit me in J even for a short while (the seat next to me was vacant, as were lots of other J seats) but that I could visit him in Y (which was full so this wasn't very practical.)
Old Jun 20, 2007, 9:59 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
F only. The J footstool isn't strong enough to sit on, especially NCW 2.0, it appears, to start with.

On a trip back from BOS last year, though, the guy in the same row as me in Y had his missus in J - he disappeared for a 'visit', never to be seen again. This was the day flight, so it wasn't full. Also on this flight, a guy sitting at 26F next to a mum, child & infant offered to move somewhere else so the family could have more room - and the crew accepted his kind offer and put him in W!
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
It applies to F only as there is the Buddy Seat in your seat. With J, no visitors applies even more so on the UD for security reasons.

Edit: 2-1 to you, Teece, 2-1
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:03 am

Programs: Meh!
Originally Posted by James S
I've been denied entry to the Virgin Clubhouse at LHR when op-upped from PE to Upper.

JS
Shame - I was allowed in to the VS lounge at Gatwick with my DW and DDs (then aged 2 and 6mths) when we were op-upped en-masse from E to UC (on CO tickets) .
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:11 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
It applies to F only as there is the Buddy Seat in your seat. With J, no visitors applies even more so on the UD for security reasons.
Not always.

I have been in J on the UD with Mrs. Greg66 in F downstairs. I tried to visit here - and was refused entry to the F cabin altogether. Twenty minutes later she appeared upstairs to visit me.

I suspect that there is a degree of elasticity in the application of the rules surrounding this, which depends on the cabin crew on the particular flight.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Greg66
I have been in J on the UD with Mrs. Greg66 in F downstairs. I tried to visit here - and was refused entry to the F cabin altogether. Twenty minutes later she appeared upstairs to visit me.
I am sure someone can quote the exact chapter and verse on FIRST Service Standards which confirms it's absolutely the case they are allowed a visitor to the buddy seat. Though I think the crew may be pragmatic and suggest deferring it during the meal service/busy times perhaps. On the UD issue, I think some crews are more flexible than others, definitely - I've seen visitors both come up and be denied (where the crew suggested the UD person go downstairs to see the visitor instead).
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Yes, but in this case I was surrounded by spare seats and I wasn't on the upper deck as I had a stress fracture in my foot and was wearing an orthopaedic boot. (For the same reason I shouldn't have visited him in Y for an extended period as I wasn't supposed to stand for very long.) If they enforce the policy so strictly, I don't understand why 3 kids are allowed to visit a single passenger in F.

Incidentally, nor do I see why visiting the upper deck is more of a security issue that visiting passengers in F on a 777.

Last edited by LeisureFirst; Jun 20, 2007 at 10:24 am
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:38 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
[QUOTE=Swiss Tony;7931421]No, if you get op-upped to J at check-in and attempt to access the lounge, you get sneered at by the dragons & firmly put in your place. They then set the starved dogs onto you before making you wear a T-shirt that says "I'm a freeloader"

.... or something like that.

QUOTE]

It's always worth a (polite) try. I have usually found the lounge dragons to be a tad less fearful if you are nice to them..............
Old Jun 20, 2007, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I've been allowed into the lounge (Terraces) at BOS with a ticket I'd just been given, that now seated me slightly further forward on the plane. Never tried it at LHR because I've never been moved forward at LHR, however I have seen someone get rejected because of this at LHR and to be fair at the time the lounge was fairly full.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I've been allowed into the lounge (Terraces) at BOS with a ticket I'd just been given, that now seated me slightly further forward on the plane. Never tried it at LHR because I've never been moved forward at LHR, however I have seen someone get rejected because of this at LHR and to be fair at the time the lounge was fairly full.
I have been fairly vigorously ejected from the CCR twice at LHR - 'you can't come in here, you have to go downstairs' .
Old Jun 20, 2007, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Greg66
Not always.

A few years back I was also in J on the UD and my father was downstairs at the back in WT with his wife and brother-in-law. Our flights just so happened to coincide, my 3rd over the pond to BOS in as many days. Middle of the way through the flight I went down to WT to see them. It was my fathers first time on a 747 so I invited him back to the UD. We were stopped at the stairs, but after a polite request we were both allowed upstairs. The UD was not full, so he sat in an empty seat next to me and then one of the crew gave him a demo of how the seat worked and brought us both a glass of wine. After a couple of refills, he went back downstairs more the merrier and sold on the benefits of NCW.

So agreed, visitors in J are at crew discretion - and if you have a great crew so much easier to obtain.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 2:04 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by jkw76
A few years back I was also in J on the UD and my father was downstairs at the back in WT with his wife and brother-in-law. .
And you didn't offer to swap seats with either your father or your mother (step?)... What a shocker... If ever I've been offered an UG and a senior member of the family is travelling, we swap... (in their favour)
Old Jun 20, 2007, 2:58 pm

Ground benefits apply to the paid ticket - if you ask and get let in, it's luck not a right. I was denied lounge access on a Y->J OpUp as Bluescum way back when. In fact, quite often they will scrawl 'INVOL U/G' on your BP to make double sure. Though the last time I had that it was as a Silver from WT+ to J ex-LGW. Quite what they thought it would achieve given I was going to the Terraces and Terraces only regardless, I have no idea. Still, I don't care what they write on it as long as it's accompanied by a lower seat number
Thanks ^ I sometimes get the scrawl when I've been u/g from W to J and often wondered why as I have a GC. Now it makes sense, probably scrawled out of habit ! Do they not know I have a gold card
Old Jun 20, 2007, 3:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
This September, I'm flying F PHX>LHR>DXB and back. My buddies are in the back of the bus - what do you think the odds are that we could champagne toast my 30th birthday up in F during the flight? It will actually be my birthday and we're celebrating by having my party in Dubai. I have no BA status, sadly! I hear they snicker at your Star Alliance cards in the UK!
Old Jun 20, 2007, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by virtualtroy
And you didn't offer to swap seats with either your father or your mother (step?)... What a shocker... If ever I've been offered an UG and a senior member of the family is travelling, we swap... (in their favour)
Mine was a paid J, theirs a separate WT booking and they preferred to all sit together. I'm not that mean.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.