Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How likely are we to be bumped off Reward flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2007, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club - Blue

Hi, we're flying on Tuesday to Antigua in Club on a 2 for 1 Amex reward ticket. The flight is full in all classes and has been full in Club for the last few days, including tomorrow and the day we fly. I'm planning to check us in tomorrow morning -24hrs and am hoping that if we get to choose our seats and print our boarding passes that we'll be OK. Anybody have any experience of this? Thanks Sue.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
If it's oversold (not just full), they may not open OLCI at all. In that case, I would turn up at the airport as early as you can (within reason, e.g. 3hrs before, maybe 3:30 at a push). With no status to 'protect' you, I don't mean to 'scare' you but you'll likely be up the list for getting bumped down/off. That said, there's a difference between just full (no action needed) and being badly oversold (something's gotta give), and there's always the chance of no-shows. So I would not worry unduly, just do all you plan to already anyway. If OLCI/PYOBP works I'd stop worrying totally.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
Do they actually not make OLCI available if a flight is oversold? I had never thought about that, but guess on some level it makes sense.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Let us know how you get on. Good luck.....
Old Jun 17, 2007, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Do you actually worry that you may get bumped off your flight everytime you fly?
Old Jun 17, 2007, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mario
Do you actually worry that you may get bumped off your flight everytime you fly?
Thanks for your input Mario! YesI do worry when for days the class has been sold out and we're on a reward ticket. Otherwise not!
Old Jun 18, 2007, 3:58 am

Programs: BA-GOLD
My partner and I have enjoyed many a flight using reward tickets (including Amex 2-4-1) and have never had problems, even if the flight is full.

We do however always check-in as early as possible, even if we have checked-in online.

I personally would relax about it - yes there is a danger, but it's very slim (if any chance at all) if you already have your boading pass. Check-in online as soon as it opens, print out your boarding passes, then get to the airport at least 3 hours before your flight. If you have the status, you can enjoy the BA lounge and a good book. If not, pre-book one of the pay-for-access lounges so that you can at least get away from the crowds in the departures hall.

Have a great holiday...
Old Jun 18, 2007, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Your chance of being bumped completely off the plane with a Club ticket is zero, to all intents and purposes. If the worst comes to the worst, they will chuck off an Economy passenger and downgrade you, thus substantially reducing the compensation payable!
Old Jun 18, 2007, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And there's still 7 WT+ seats available for sale, and plenty down the back, so the worst case is a WT+ seat and loads of compensation.

Or, if it's a 4 class plane, more likely some of the J passengers will spill over into the F cabin.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 5:09 am

Programs: F
Remember that a show of no availability for Club does not necessarily mean that Club is actually full. They may have oversold economy and are leaving space for upgrades, for example.

Edit: as Smirnie indicates though, there is indeed plenty of availability down the back. Curiously, if searching from LON rather than LGW on Expertflyer, 1 J seat does show as available only if you are travelling from Victoria station (the IATA code for which is ZEP for some bizarre reason - for Zeppellin?)

Last edited by redshift27; Jun 18, 2007 at 5:23 am Reason: as shown
Old Jun 18, 2007, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Managed to successfully OLCI and have printed our boarding passes, so all looks OK. Thank you everybody for your advice.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 11:45 am

have a great trip!
Old Jun 18, 2007, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Looked at flight loads today Sue and I think you'll be fine. Although there is no F to bump anyone into, the flight is not oversold in J so .......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.