FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA10 seating (747 LHR-SYD 38J) - can't decide which seat I want (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/703978-ba10-seating-747-lhr-syd-38j-cant-decide-seat-i-want.html)

tishooo Jun 14, 2007 3:33 am

BA10 seating (747 LHR-SYD 38J) - can't decide which seat I want

I have of course consulted seatguru, seatexpert and the sticky, but I find myself in the tough spot of having to decide between a limited no of seats, with only minor previous experience to help me make the choice.

I was allocated 14K, which appears to be well recommended on the seating sites, but I also have the option of 63K on the Upper Deck and I can't decide which I would prefer.

I had 62K on the BA9 on the way out to SYD (first ever NCW flight), and really liked being free to get up without disturbing anyone. I have never sat in a seat requiring climbing over my neighbour, so I am not sure how much this will bother me, but for what its worth, I am quite short (5'3"), so am likely to be a bit more inconvenienced than most by this leg-over action.

I definitely want a window seat, and particularly enjoyed the access to the window cupboard things on the upper deck.

I can also get quite easily disturbed when sleeping, so am concerned about light/noise spillover in 14K.

So basically, I would be very grateful for opinions on whether you would choose 63K or 14K if you were in my situation.

I know these questions are repetitive, but I hope you can help me make up my mind - if it was a shorter flight I wouldn't mind so much, but the idea of ending up in an awful seat for most of 24hrs is just too dreadful to contemplate.

Raffles Jun 14, 2007 3:55 am

Upstairs. No brainer.

Smaller cabin and lots more storage space, as you noted. Plus a quieter, more private environment which becomes even more important on a longer flight.

Jumping over the legs of the person next to you is not a big deal. Its no more annoying (if you have an aisle seat) than the person in the window seat jumping over your legs.

tishooo Jun 14, 2007 4:09 am

Raffles, thanks very much for your advice. Re-reading my original post, I think the pros of the upper deck do probably outweigh the one con of clambering.

Oakesy Jun 14, 2007 4:13 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 7900818)
Upstairs. No brainer.

Smaller cabin and lots more storage space, as you noted. Plus a quieter, more private environment which becomes even more important on a longer flight.

Jumping over the legs of the person next to you is not a big deal. Its no more annoying (if you have an aisle seat) than the person in the window seat jumping over your legs.

I totally agree with Raffles that upstairs is a no brainer, plus if you do take 63K you should have little problems in squeezing out down the side of the seat towards the emergency exit therefore negating the need for the high jump over your neighbour.

Teece Jun 14, 2007 4:25 am

Don't forget that you may be able to secure 64A at T-72hrs, if the bassinette position is empty.

I had a similar dilemma - choice of 14K or 63A (only window left upstairs), but this was on a 70J, so even more reason to go upstairs.

leaveamessage Jun 14, 2007 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Oakesy (Post 7900838)
I totally agree with Raffles that upstairs is a no brainer, plus if you do take 63K you should have little problems in squeezing out down the side of the seat towards the emergency exit therefore negating the need for the high jump over your neighbour.

Had 63K yesterday....didnt think of that ....bugger

Anyway, upper deck over lower deck every time.

clubman Jun 14, 2007 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by tishooo (Post 7900782)
the idea of ending up in an awful seat for most of 24hrs is just too dreadful to contemplate.

Come on, you are flying in Club; you could hardly end up in a "dreadful seat", even if some are better then others.

tishooo Jun 15, 2007 1:56 am

Originally Posted by clubman (Post 7903107)
Come on, you are flying in Club; you could hardly end up in a "dreadful seat", even if some are better then others.

Ok you're right! Just trying to maximise my pleasure on my 2nd ever longhaul J.

But as I hit submit on the selection for 63K I got an error message and now it is taken and I am still in 14K! Maybe someone was reading and stole it from me.:rolleyes:

Now faced with the choice of an aisle seat UD or stick with 14K (or see if the bassinet position becomes available at T-24). As the first leg at least is probably going to be largely daylight (I think?), I think I'll stick with 14K for now.