How do I get AA to accept my BA exec number?

Old Jun 13, 07, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
How do I get AA to accept my BA exec number?

I am travelling this Friday on a domestic flight with AA. I booked my ticket through AA.com, and was unable to enter my BA Exec number. When I called their customer services they told me my BA number was invalid - which is impossible.

How is it done?

DK
Old Jun 13, 07, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver
You can get this sorted out at check in.
Old Jun 13, 07, 1:10 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

You did the right thing.

I have never encountered a problem with AA's call centre - sounds like you were connected to an unhelpful agent. Just try again. Number if dialled within the UK is 020 7365 0777
Old Jun 13, 07, 1:47 pm

I got this done by the AA call centre on the second attempt but it was a bit of a hassle. I think it's easiest to do it at check-in. Just present your card.
Old Jun 13, 07, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire), VS Silver, Skywards Blue, UA General, Qantas Bronze.
You may have to do it at the airport anyway. I've called on previous occasions, and the number has been added. It prints as a BA number on a PYOBP, but doesn't indicate status. If they issue a BP at the airport (i.e. you don't print your own boarding pass), sometimes the number and status show.

To be safe, I would ask at check-in (or in the AAdmiral's club if you have access), regardless of the success of your phone call.

In my experience AA staff at the airport are generally quite helpful, so it's not usually a problem.
Old Jun 13, 07, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Originally Posted by dsk7 View Post
I am travelling this Friday on a domestic flight with AA. I booked my ticket through AA.com, and was unable to enter my BA Exec number. When I called their customer services they told me my BA number was invalid - which is impossible.

How is it done?

DK
It's invalid only if you spelt the name on your ticket differently than what is recorded on your BA Exec card account, or if the agent attempted to put your FFP number on the same reservation without first removing the AA number (if there was one).
Old Jun 14, 07, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Gold; SQ PPS; UA Gold; LH FTL; Flying Blue Silver; Starwood Gold; ICHG AMB; Hyatt Platinum;
I usually give them the number at check-in, and then get the Admirals Club staff to verify it has been entered properly if it doesn't print out onto the boarding pass for some reason (and sometimes it doesn't). The Admirals Club staff I have encountered have been, I think without exception, friendly and knowledgeable.
Old Jun 14, 07, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTG + Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Put the AA record locator in to ba.com and it should now find the booking anyway, albeit maybe taking you to the advanced search where you provide more data (e.g. flight details). Then you can manually add your number in MMB as usual.
Old Jun 14, 07, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by G-BOAC View Post
Put the AA record locator in to ba.com and it should now find the booking anyway, albeit maybe taking you to the advanced search where you provide more data (e.g. flight details). Then you can manually add your number in MMB as usual.
For some reason, it does not always work. I have had some bookings where it would not recognise the AA locator.
On my last booking I had to phone AA to add the number, which they did. The flight did appear on mmb when I was logged under my BAEC number. However, I knew that something was wrong after OLCIing and the BP not showing my status. At check-in in GVA, I asked them to check, and they told me that the number was in. Still unconvinced, I asked again at the gate at boarding time and while there was my number in the booking, it still did not show me as Gold. She entered it again, and, at last, status showed on her system. The flight was oversold in Y, and completely packed in both classes when we left, so it is possible that I may have lost on an op-upg on this one, due to the number not being entered properly. Hardly a major issue on a GVA-LHR flight but the moral of the story is: do check your BP when having your BAEC# entered manually by a non-BA staff, as it may be wrongly entered or entered in the wrong field.

Search this Thread