Cabin Fever (turn it down to 30!)

Old Jun 6, 07, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, AC Super Elite, Cropduster Airtaxi Silver
Cabin Fever (turn it down to 30!)

Hey folks...

In the past 6 weeks or so I have had 5 longhaul segments on BA and on the four I have taken in 747-400, the cabin in Upper Deck was extremely warm during the entire overnight flight

I of course asked the CC if there was anything that could be done, obligatory "'ll ask the captain" response, but for those of us who can't sleep without a blanket over us it made for some unpleasant travel. Curiously enough, the 777 flights I have had this year have been quite comfy, except for the mysterious "bad air" -- the temperature has always been fine tho...

I'd expect this from CX (in fact, I am always prepared for a very warm cabin there), but am I the only one noticing this?

/BBQ
Old Jun 6, 07, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, BMI Diamond Club Silver, Flying Blue Platinum
AFAIK: The cabin crew should be able to regulate the cabin temperature themselves (every cabin can be regulated individualy).

I think the conventional wisdom among cabin crew is that high temperatures (and lots of booze) keeps the punters drowsy and quiet...
Old Jun 6, 07, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AMSwing View Post
AFAIK: The cabin crew should be able to regulate the cabin temperature themselves (every cabin can be regulated individualy).

I think the conventional wisdom among cabin crew is that high temperatures (and lots of booze) keeps the punters drowsy and quiet...
I find asking nicely to keep it around 22/23 does the trick. If they are not co-operating then I go and speak to them for an extended period - lots of "what does this knob do" newbie stuff ; I soon find the cabin cools and I can return to my bed for a good night's rest.
Old Jun 6, 07, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver
drowsy and quiet perhaps... but hot and bothered doesn't exactly bode well for a good nights sleep!

This is the only real gripe I have, and its not just BA - CX and QF are culprits too. The best nights sleep i've had was with LA on a MIA-SCL flight in January.

I wish they would err of the side of caution and set the temperature a little on the cold side, at least you can always put layers on, once down to T-shirt and shorts/jeans/trousers it doesn't leave much to work with... at least not without getting arrested!
Old Jun 6, 07, 12:42 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

I am also one who finds it very difficult to get comfortable and sleep in a tropical cabin. I find though, that the crew are happy to adjust the thermostat when I ask nicely.

There are some days you know as soon as you meet the crew that you are going to get roasted during the night,
Old Jun 6, 07, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
I find it a problem, too. A recent SEA-LHR in CW was so hot it made me feel ill.
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
There are some days you know as soon as you meet the crew that you are going to get roasted during the night,
Old Jun 6, 07, 1:00 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
Originally Posted by sdorling View Post
drowsy and quiet perhaps... but hot and bothered doesn't exactly bode well for a good nights sleep!

This is the only real gripe I have, and its not just BA - CX and QF are culprits too. The best nights sleep i've had was with LA on a MIA-SCL flight in January.

I wish they would err of the side of caution and set the temperature a little on the cold side, at least you can always put layers on, once down to T-shirt and shorts/jeans/trousers it doesn't leave much to work with... at least not without getting arrested!
Exactly. "Trust me you don't want me stripping off any more layers "

BA were again hot in my latest flights. I noticed there was a considerable difference in temperature between WT galley (mild) and the forward mini cabin (hot)
Old Jun 6, 07, 1:04 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
flippin heck, what flights have you been on recently!?
Old Jun 6, 07, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AJLondon View Post
flippin heck, what flights have you been on recently!?
Not that kind of roasted, AJLondon . Down, boy!
Old Jun 6, 07, 1:12 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by krug View Post
Ther is more than one kind? We are talking about high temperatures in the cabin, right?
Old Jun 6, 07, 1:13 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Originally Posted by krug View Post
Thank you krug - as we all should know, spitting is strictly prohibited on board
Old Jun 6, 07, 1:30 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Would anyone believe me if I said that a friend walked into a 'roasting' session involving Ian and Janette Krankie and Bob Carolgees?

I didn't believe it either, but she swore it was true (she worked at the BBC in Manchester).

Cheers,
Rick
Old Jun 6, 07, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Thank you krug - as we all should know, spitting is strictly prohibited on board
Swallowing seems similarly out of fashion, too.
Old Jun 6, 07, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Would anyone believe me if I said that a friend walked into a 'roasting' session involving Ian and Janette Krankie and Bob Carolgees?
The best thread creep ever....
Old Jun 6, 07, 1:47 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
Originally Posted by ajamieson View Post
The best thread creep ever....
surely a contradiction

Search this Thread