Cabin Fever (turn it down to 30!)

Old Jun 6, 07, 12:07 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, AC Super Elite, Cropduster Airtaxi Silver
Posts: 11
Cabin Fever (turn it down to 30!)

Hey folks...

In the past 6 weeks or so I have had 5 longhaul segments on BA and on the four I have taken in 747-400, the cabin in Upper Deck was extremely warm during the entire overnight flight

I of course asked the CC if there was anything that could be done, obligatory "'ll ask the captain" response, but for those of us who can't sleep without a blanket over us it made for some unpleasant travel. Curiously enough, the 777 flights I have had this year have been quite comfy, except for the mysterious "bad air" -- the temperature has always been fine tho...

I'd expect this from CX (in fact, I am always prepared for a very warm cabin there), but am I the only one noticing this?

/BBQ
BBQ_Winglets is offline  
Old Jun 6, 07, 12:35 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Amsterdam
Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, BMI Diamond Club Silver, Flying Blue Platinum
Posts: 93
AFAIK: The cabin crew should be able to regulate the cabin temperature themselves (every cabin can be regulated individualy).

I think the conventional wisdom among cabin crew is that high temperatures (and lots of booze) keeps the punters drowsy and quiet...
AMSwing is offline  
Old Jun 6, 07, 12:39 pm
  #3  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,735
Originally Posted by AMSwing View Post
AFAIK: The cabin crew should be able to regulate the cabin temperature themselves (every cabin can be regulated individualy).

I think the conventional wisdom among cabin crew is that high temperatures (and lots of booze) keeps the punters drowsy and quiet...
I find asking nicely to keep it around 22/23 does the trick. If they are not co-operating then I go and speak to them for an extended period - lots of "what does this knob do" newbie stuff ; I soon find the cabin cools and I can return to my bed for a good night's rest.
krug is offline  
Old Jun 6, 07, 12:41 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 540
drowsy and quiet perhaps... but hot and bothered doesn't exactly bode well for a good nights sleep!

This is the only real gripe I have, and its not just BA - CX and QF are culprits too. The best nights sleep i've had was with LA on a MIA-SCL flight in January.

I wish they would err of the side of caution and set the temperature a little on the cold side, at least you can always put layers on, once down to T-shirt and shorts/jeans/trousers it doesn't leave much to work with... at least not without getting arrested!
sdorling is offline  
Old Jun 6, 07, 12:42 pm
  #5  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 19,360
I am also one who finds it very difficult to get comfortable and sleep in a tropical cabin. I find though, that the crew are happy to adjust the thermostat when I ask nicely.

There are some days you know as soon as you meet the crew that you are going to get roasted during the night,
Prospero is online now  
Old Jun 6, 07, 12:56 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: London and Edinburgh
Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
Posts: 7,416
I find it a problem, too. A recent SEA-LHR in CW was so hot it made me feel ill.
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
There are some days you know as soon as you meet the crew that you are going to get roasted during the night,
ajamieson is offline  
Old Jun 6, 07, 1:00 pm
  #7  
Moderator, Hilton Honors
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: hopefully travelling
Programs: up in the air
Posts: 70,793
Originally Posted by sdorling View Post
drowsy and quiet perhaps... but hot and bothered doesn't exactly bode well for a good nights sleep!

This is the only real gripe I have, and its not just BA - CX and QF are culprits too. The best nights sleep i've had was with LA on a MIA-SCL flight in January.

I wish they would err of the side of caution and set the temperature a little on the cold side, at least you can always put layers on, once down to T-shirt and shorts/jeans/trousers it doesn't leave much to work with... at least not without getting arrested!
Exactly. "Trust me you don't want me stripping off any more layers "

BA were again hot in my latest flights. I noticed there was a considerable difference in temperature between WT galley (mild) and the forward mini cabin (hot)
Kiwi Flyer is offline  
Old Jun 6, 07, 1:04 pm
  #8  
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Asia
Programs: Yes!
Posts: 15,458
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
There are some days you know as soon as you meet the crew that you are going to get roasted during the night,
flippin heck, what flights have you been on recently!?
AJLondon is offline  
Old Jun 6, 07, 1:10 pm
  #9  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,735
Originally Posted by AJLondon View Post
flippin heck, what flights have you been on recently!?
Not that kind of roasted, AJLondon . Down, boy!
krug is offline  
Old Jun 6, 07, 1:12 pm
  #10  
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Asia
Programs: Yes!
Posts: 15,458
Originally Posted by krug View Post
Not that kind of roasted, AJLondon . Down, boy!
Ther is more than one kind? We are talking about high temperatures in the cabin, right?
AJLondon is offline  
Old Jun 6, 07, 1:13 pm
  #11  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 19,360
Originally Posted by krug View Post
Not that kind of roasted, AJLondon . Down, boy!
Thank you krug - as we all should know, spitting is strictly prohibited on board
Prospero is online now  
Old Jun 6, 07, 1:30 pm
  #12  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 13,990
Would anyone believe me if I said that a friend walked into a 'roasting' session involving Ian and Janette Krankie and Bob Carolgees?

I didn't believe it either, but she swore it was true (she worked at the BBC in Manchester).

Cheers,
Rick
DYKWIA is offline  
Old Jun 6, 07, 1:30 pm
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,735
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
Thank you krug - as we all should know, spitting is strictly prohibited on board
Swallowing seems similarly out of fashion, too.
krug is offline  
Old Jun 6, 07, 1:38 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: London and Edinburgh
Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
Posts: 7,416
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Would anyone believe me if I said that a friend walked into a 'roasting' session involving Ian and Janette Krankie and Bob Carolgees?
The best thread creep ever....
ajamieson is offline  
Old Jun 6, 07, 1:47 pm
  #15  
Moderator, Hilton Honors
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: hopefully travelling
Programs: up in the air
Posts: 70,793
Originally Posted by ajamieson View Post
The best thread creep ever....
surely a contradiction
Kiwi Flyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread