AY vs BA to HEL

Old Sep 18, 2007, 6:20 pm
Suspended

I flew AY to HEL during the weekend in J. Overall it was a good flight, but I really don't find it too different to BA. The seats are narrower (we managed to get row 1) which makes it slightly mroe uncomfortable, but then again Club Europe seats are nothing to write home about.

Catering was a bit boring as they serve the same Salmon meal as the only option and for the SFML it is also the same main dish.

Return had the same meal as SFML.

Lounge is better than most terrace with some cold food (meat balls, dips , savory pastry). But no Champange and too crowded (I used the Oneworld Emerald Lounge).
Old Sep 18, 2007, 8:27 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by rtwdone4
I flew AY to HEL during the weekend in J. Overall it was a good flight, but I really don't find it too different to BA. The seats are narrower (we managed to get row 1) which makes it slightly mroe uncomfortable, but then again Club Europe seats are nothing to write home about.

Catering was a bit boring as they serve the same Salmon meal as the only option and for the SFML it is also the same main dish.

Return had the same meal as SFML.

Lounge is better than most terrace with some cold food (meat balls, dips , savory pastry). But no Champange and too crowded (I used the Oneworld Emerald Lounge).
Wow in my countless visits to that HEL lounge it has never had more then 6 people in it. Must be time of day....
Old Sep 18, 2007, 8:43 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
As a comparison, my July SFML HEL - DUS on AY:

smoked salmon w/cocktail sauce (fresh taste)
baked pike perch Russian style, mash and veg (fairly good)
dessert pudding (didn't touch)
prepackaged cheese and crackers (standard)
bread selection (excellent)

All washed down with a French white and port.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 5:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by alect
Wow in my countless visits to that HEL lounge it has never had more then 6 people in it. Must be time of day....
They have a BKK/PEK/ delayed NRT flight all going at aroudn the same time that is why it is crowded. Also what happened to the preflight HOT dinnign options? I thought they were introducing this before?

Overall it was an OK experience, but I think my expectation was set too high and next time I think I will revert back to BA.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They have a BKK/PEK/ delayed NRT flight all going at aroudn the same time that is why it is crowded. Also what happened to the preflight HOT dinnign options? I thought they were introducing this before?

Overall it was an OK experience, but I think my expectation was set too high and next time I think I will revert back to BA.
There are 5 Asian flights around 1700 in the afternoon and it gets packed around that time, then blissfully empty if you're departing after that.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 5:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just sampled the AY economy product on the LHR-HEL-LHR run and I was pleasantly surprised especially in these days of cut backs on economy inflight service.

Hot meal on both flights, meatballs on the way out and a chicken rice thing on the way back, granted the portions were a bit skinny but even the wife enjoyed them and she's a fussy eater believe me.Two drinks runs with wine and beer.

I felt the seats a bit hard but okay for the length of flight - FA's were pleasant apart from one crabbit looking one and we left and arrived on time in fact we landed early at LHR yesterday but were delayed by lack of steps due to the non operational air bridge.
Eventually exited and found T1 to be decked out in yellow sponge clad scaffolding holding up the ceiling by the looks of it? FCC was packed so just exited had a fag and went back up to departures - much quicker.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 8:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Just sampled the AY economy product on the LHR-HEL-LHR run and I was pleasantly surprised especially in these days of cut backs on economy inflight service.

Hot meal on both flights, meatballs on the way out and a chicken rice thing on the way back, granted the portions were a bit skinny but even the wife enjoyed them and she's a fussy eater believe me.Two drinks runs with wine and beer.

I felt the seats a bit hard but okay for the length of flight - FA's were pleasant apart from one crabbit looking one and we left and arrived on time in fact we landed early at LHR yesterday but were delayed by lack of steps due to the non operational air bridge.
Eventually exited and found T1 to be decked out in yellow sponge clad scaffolding holding up the ceiling by the looks of it? FCC was packed so just exited had a fag and went back up to departures - much quicker.

I didn't know they serve hot food in Y, otherwise I would've asked the FA for a Y Class hot main course. I am so sick of salmon after eating it 3 meals a day in HEL during the weekend! Also I find them jsut leave the foil on the hot food to best a bit cheap in J class.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I didn't know they serve hot food in Y, otherwise I would've asked the FA for a Y Class hot main course. I am so sick of salmon after eating it 3 meals a day in HEL during the weekend! Also I find them jsut leave the foil on the hot food to best a bit cheap in J class.
Just make sure you ask for two portions if you are a big eater. Don't blame me if it turns out to be salmon.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
Also what happened to the preflight HOT dinnign options? I thought they were introducing this before?
That was before HKG became nonstop this year. Until then, HEL-BKK-HKG left around 11pm, and pre-flight dining was indeed offered.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:17 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Anyway, the food choice was beef salad or chicken curry (I opted for the latter) and they were served with Lily O'Brien chocs (a la CW) and a cheese plate, with a jumbled bread basket after the tray was plonked.
The beef salad is probably cold, or? Does this mean they don't serve a hot meal in CE on HEL-LHR?

I'd appreciate any info regarding the C meals, hot/cold, regular alternatives, quality etc.

Thanks!
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
There is always a hot meal on BA too, but the salad was a colder/lighter option, i.e. you have the choice (which, incidentally, AY don't offer - everyone gets the same hot meal except for 'Specials'). However, FinnAir In Catering Shocker! My problems last night were two-fold:

1) The starter was a mere salad with Parmesan and tiny at that. Not up to the usual standards!
2) They ran out of bloody Champagne after one bottle - all that was left was one frozen (solid) one and then sparkling wine. J was back to Row 9 and nearly full. I did notice a lot of people take a champers on the first drinks run before dinner but running out was a first for me! Being the pragmatic go-getter I am, I made the snap decision to switch to the Pinot Noir and comfortably averted the disaster that is sobriety

I was beginning to worry about cutbacks...but thankfully the main course of lamb was absolutely delicious - large portion, really succulent and tender, with a great taste. Also new, they are now using the nice longhaul crystal glassware on the meal trays ^ (At least, it's new since 2 weeks ago).

I still prefer AY Business over CE.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:14 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Any info about the brekkie service in J on the 0730 AY flight from LHR?

Or is it better to scoff in the F lounge, which would imply an even earlier start from home!?
Old Sep 26, 2007, 5:55 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Any info about the brekkie service in J on the 0730 AY flight from LHR?
A short description of a typical AY s/h J brekkie (this one's on sale on longer AY leisure flights)

Premium breakfast
Fresh fruit salad
Cold cuts; ham and cheese
Ham and cheese filled potato boat, mushrooms and grilled paprika

Plus of course yoghurt and the typical AY Scandinavian bread assortment

Last edited by mosburger; Sep 26, 2007 at 6:25 pm
Old Oct 2, 2007, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone that has taken AY recently may be waking up to a few surprises on their EC account.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 2:58 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Anyone that has taken AY recently may be waking up to a few surprises on their EC account.
Such as Everything looks perfectly normal right now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.