Wiki Posts
Search

Taste of London

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2007, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Taste of London

This year it appears that BA are sponsoring the annual Taste of London event. See www.channel4.com/tastefestivals or www.ba.com/taste.

The card you now need for access to the exclusive bits is a Gold or Silver Exec. Two years ago I recall it was a platinum Amex. In addition to the Executive Club lounge for Golds and Silvers, there also seems to be a "vip lounge" which you can buy your way into by paying £50 for a ticket instead of £35. (There was a special offer on the BA website to get the vip ticket for £35, but that has sold out for the more popular days.)

There seems to be a distinct implication on the BA web site that the Executive Club Lounge will be better than the VIP Lounge. The latter, it rather sniffily points out, will be open to "all Taste of London VIP ticket holders".

According to the web site, the Executive Lounge will provide "the opportunity...to sample some amuse-bouches" and "taste some of the fine wines served on board". They appear to be trying to preview the new Terminal 5 lounges. They gush significantly less about the "VIP Lounge" which they say will provide "some extra special British Airways touches" and "a [sic] complimentary glass of champagne".

Anyone know anything further about what goodies to expect in the two lounges? Two years ago, the Amex lounge had unlimited fizz and as it was a very hot day my friends spent most of the day in there drinking in air-conditioned comfort. I'm presuming it is not worth paying for a vip ticket given that I am a silver card holder.

Last edited by LeisureFirst; Jun 4, 2007 at 5:09 am
Old Jun 4, 2007, 5:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
There were a few participants last year ... thread below

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ghlight=crowns

.... noticed the price has gone up from £30 to £35 ... probably to cover some stealth tax somewhere
Old Jun 4, 2007, 6:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Is it going to be Silver + 1 like at the airport?
Old Jun 4, 2007, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
It says in the BA mailer that Gold and Silver can have one guest.....
Old Jun 4, 2007, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
We had VIP access last year. It was 1 glass of champers per person - tightwads! Luckily one of the stalls was exchanging crowns for boozer.

The Amex tent, so I was told after the event, was more generous but unfortunately I'd failed to bring my Plat card!
Old Jun 4, 2007, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Is it going to be Silver + 1 like at the airport?
Yes.

This of course encourages one to make sure that whatever group of firends one goes with, there is at least a 50% density of silvers & golds. Having said that, if they are as lax as the Amex lounge was, one will be able to take an unlimited number of guests provided they enter one at a time.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raffles
We had VIP access last year. It was 1 glass of champers per person - tightwads! Luckily one of the stalls was exchanging crowns for boozer.
Yes, it seems like the VIP tent has 1 glass per person, but the Executive Club Lounge is very clearly different. The BA publicity makes this very explicit. I'm wondering what you get there.

The Amex tent, so I was told after the event, was more generous but unfortunately I'd failed to bring my Plat card!
Is there an Amex tent this year? The more the merrier. Maybe there will be a Priority Pass tent with free bottled water.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 6:45 am

We got a bottle of champers (Moet IIRC) in the Amex tent with Amex Centurion.

IIRC BA had a 'special' tent next door to the other one that was open to golds (not sure about silvers) and I am sure I polished off several glasses of the fizzy stuff...
Old Jun 4, 2007, 7:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
!

... all the evenings for the VIP are showing as sold out except for the Thursday ... now I don't mind a hangover on the Friday
Old Jun 4, 2007, 11:08 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=675402

I suppose the timing of the original thread this year was a little premature.

I had forgotten that this year's event is later this month. I do hope that the weather is just as good as it was last year!!!
Old Jun 17, 2009, 4:00 am

3 cheap tickets available!

Hello. I have 3 Taste Of London tickets I wish to sell.
They are for tomorrow or Fridays sessions. The origonal price was £25 each, and I am selling them at £15 each.
Please let me know if you are interested.
Thank you. Ellis.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 4:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, AClub Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Silver, SPG, others
I've been to the previous 2 festivals (with discounted VIP tickets from BA) and am going on Friday.

Either the VIP ticket or your BAEC Gold/Silver card allow you fast track access (and unlike T5, it actually moves a lot quicker than the regular queue).

The VIP lounge is nothing special. 1 glass of champagne and some mixed nuts. 2 years ago, though, they had a fully-functional NGCW (or is it NNCW - I lose track) seat on display. (How fab - and unlikely - would it be if there were a new First seat this year!!)

The Executive Club lounge, however, is another story. Free-flowing champagne. Need I say more? Well, I will: The BA food advisory council (or whatever they're called) are on hand for a chat (we're talking top quality famous chefs). Each one makes a 'signature' amuse bouche and these are distributed every few minutes. Theres a huge selection. Yum!

And, possibly my favourite bit, there's a counter with a selection of wines. There's a really lovely gentleman on hand to tell you what each one is and where it's served (i.e. usually First or Club). He also mentioned to me what kind of retail price range they target for each (though I can't remember the details - for obvious reasons). Jancis Robinson, BA wine consultant and author of the Oxford Companion to Wine, is also there at certain times.

I guested Mr Icarusian in on both occasions - no problems there (I was gold on both occasions, but am now silver). Needless to say, we staggered out afterwards. 2 years ago it was raining heavily and the lovely, uniformed attendants were handing out huge BA umbrellas to those standing in the outside area (which they allowed us to take around the event).

It was fab. I highly recommend it. But don't forget your Executive Club card!!
Old Jun 17, 2009, 5:01 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
I volunteered to help out (rather than being guested in - Phil the Flyer ) at this event but had to cancel other engagements took precedent

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.