U-Turn on seating policy!!

Reply

Old May 22, 07, 1:55 pm
  #136  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mostly AUS or rural England
Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Posts: 6,526
Originally Posted by kered View Post
If nether of those conditions apply to your booking, then you canít get a seat assigned until you either OLCI, or as I would suspect in the case of most holiday makers, present your self at the check-in desk.

The only caveat being if thereís baby in the group, then pre-assignment opens up to that group.

So the potential for chaos & ranting & raving at Check-in is huge. But with inflexibility of the policy, the ground staff can do nothing.

So imagine those passengers disquiet, when they learn because they have no status theyíre going to be scattered around the cabin

I'm sure you're right about the majority of holiday makers not discovering this until the get to the airport, but equally I'm sure the vast majority of people wouldn't know whether their seat had been pre-assigned by a computer the day before, or by a check in agent while they're standing in front of a desk, and surely that's one way to take the sting out of most of this - get the computer to randomly assign seats throughout the cabin for groups of three or more in the same PNR immediately prior to the opening of OLCI. Surely that will take away a lot of the pain because the families will be together and the singles and couples can slotted in more easily?
bernardd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 07, 2:03 pm
  #137  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mostly AUS or rural England
Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Posts: 6,526
Originally Posted by jhm View Post
... but perhaps there's an equally large (but not quite so vocal) number of people who're happy with the new seating policy!

That's human nature - bad news travels fast. What sells newspapers? Disaster!

I'm actually not really bothered where I sit, but that's possibly because I travel mostly on my own, I don't care a lot about the view out of the window because I've been there before, the meal choice isn't that big of a deal and I'm travelling in cabins where I'm never more than one seat from an aisle with adequae leg room throughout. For me therefore it works out fine. Plus I know that, based on status, I can probably find a way out of the middle seat in the last row of WT should I ever be so unfortunate.... I can only hope I haven't tempted the fates and offered too tempting a challenge to a BA lurker.....
bernardd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 07, 2:08 pm
  #138  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Posts: 1,130
I'm in agreement with those who say at the very least put couples and families on the same PNR in seats together. As I've said ad infinitum, my worst nightmare would be getting to T-24 and finding that my wife and I don't get to sit togther!

Traveling alone, I don't really give a s**t where I'm placed. After all, in CW there aren't too many seats that are just horrible.
mwalsh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 07, 12:19 am
  #139  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: somewhere north of London, UK
Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Posts: 15,243
To what extent is this all related to the fact BA have an uncompetitive 8 across layout in club? (I accept the flat bed was market leading, but 8 across in J was a blast from the past). This move may have been designed to help BA maintain market share as people like CX roll out their new J products.

After all, many carriers don't allow you to preassign in Y and BA do allow you to assign in F regardless of status.

Just a thought...
Swiss Tony is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 07, 12:59 am
  #140  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Aberdeenshire
Programs: BA, UA, SPG
Posts: 951
Originally Posted by mwalsh View Post
I'm in agreement with those who say at the very least put couples and families on the same PNR in seats together. As I've said ad infinitum, my worst nightmare would be getting to T-24 and finding that my wife and I don't get to sit togther!

Traveling alone, I don't really give a s**t where I'm placed. After all, in CW there aren't too many seats that are just horrible.
Quite - when I'm on my own in CW then it's not too big a deal - as someone else said, it's Club at the end of the day. What bothers me is that on separate PNRs but travelling together there's nothing doing if one can assign and the other can't.
expatboy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 07, 1:37 am
  #141  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: England
Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Gold,Orchid Silver,QF,BMI, Starwood,Hilton,Hyatt
Posts: 141
Originally Posted by expatboy View Post
Quite - when I'm on my own in CW then it's not too big a deal - as someone else said, it's Club at the end of the day. What bothers me is that on separate PNRs but travelling together there's nothing doing if one can assign and the other can't.
It appears to be worse than that; SWMBO & myself are off on a jolly, CE tomorrow.

From the day that it was booked (some 9 months ago) I was pre-assigned
3A, but Mrs Spitfire (Blue) was unallocated with the message to choose at OLCI. So what happens? I check in at T-25 and find that I'm supposedly in
3A whilst SWMBO has been allocated 1A . Luckly 1C was still available.

It remains to be seen what they've done on the return.

Furthermore, whilst I checked in at exactly T-25, we were still numbers 50 & 51 in the sequence? Can someone throw some light on that?
Spitfire1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 07, 1:47 am
  #142  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Aberdeenshire
Programs: BA, UA, SPG
Posts: 951
Originally Posted by Spitfire1 View Post
It appears to be worse than that; SWMBO & myself are off on a jolly, CE tomorrow.

From the day that it was booked (some 9 months ago) I was pre-assigned
3A, but Mrs Spitfire (Blue) was unallocated with the message to choose at OLCI. So what happens? I check in at T-25 and find that I'm supposedly in
3A whilst SWMBO has been allocated 1A . Luckly 1C was still available.

It remains to be seen what they've done on the return.

Furthermore, whilst I checked in at exactly T-25, we were still numbers 50 & 51 in the sequence? Can someone throw some light on that?
So even on the same PNR they separate you? That IS worse than I thought.
expatboy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 07, 2:57 am
  #143  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: back to my roots in Scotland!
Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Posts: 47,846
Originally Posted by Spitfire1 View Post
It appears to be worse than that; SWMBO & myself are off on a jolly, CE tomorrow.

From the day that it was booked (some 9 months ago) I was pre-assigned
3A, but Mrs Spitfire (Blue) was unallocated with the message to choose at OLCI. So what happens? I check in at T-25 and find that I'm supposedly in
3A whilst SWMBO has been allocated 1A . Luckly 1C was still available.

It remains to be seen what they've done on the return.

Furthermore, whilst I checked in at exactly T-25, we were still numbers 50 & 51 in the sequence? Can someone throw some light on that?
Possibly if you are ex-LON, those going (for example) ex-EDI MAN etc or ex-USA and connecting onto your flight have an earlier T-25, since they can check in for all flights from the time of their first flight? Not all people originate from London, despite what BA likes to think
Jenbel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 07, 3:27 am
  #144  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: England
Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Gold,Orchid Silver,QF,BMI, Starwood,Hilton,Hyatt
Posts: 141
Originally Posted by Jenbel View Post
Possibly if you are ex-LON, those going (for example) ex-EDI MAN etc or ex-USA and connecting onto your flight have an earlier T-25, since they can check in for all flights from the time of their first flight? Not all people originate from London, despite what BA likes to think
Sorry, your right, I didn't consider that.

However, I suppose it's understandable; the thought of 49 Sweaties, Mancs & Yanks is unthinkable.
Spitfire1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 07, 6:26 am
  #145  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ireland
Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Posts: 2,344
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post
To what extent is this all related to the fact BA have an uncompetitive 8 across layout in club? ......................
Looking at the VS UCS cabin as an example, there’s none of the dreaded “Middle Love Seats” where you can get sandwiched in with a stranger between two aisle seats.

So you could have a point there alright.

I’d have to agree to a certain extent with those who say travelling alone, they don’t mind too much where they sit, although I really do prefer a window seat. More importantly though, I’d hate to be in one of the Love Seats.

But it still bugs me senseless that while every other airline allows pre-assigning BA have taken that away. Especially when you take into account the sort of money you have to lash out for CW. So unless there’s a U-turn on this policy, as soon as I drop back to Blue from Silver & lose the facility to pre-assign, I’ll be spending my money elsewhere.
kered is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 07, 1:11 am
  #146  
PeS
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Prague, CZ, Europe
Programs: HH Diamond, BA Bronze, LH SEN
Posts: 113
BA newbie

Moved to separate thread.

Last edited by PeS; May 25, 07 at 7:46 pm Reason: Moved to separate thread
PeS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 07, 1:12 am
  #147  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Gold)
Posts: 6,136
Originally Posted by BahrainLad View Post
Why can't BA just make a simple modification to the policy that automatically allocates seats to bookings that have more than one passenger on it? I.e. if a booking is made in CW by anyone and it has two passengers, those passengers are allocated a pair of seats. This would retain the better options for elites, but recognise that, in the same way that families with young children should be able to sit together, so should 'couples'.
My partner and I have been together for 16 years, but when we travel it's very important to us that we sit together. Usually I'm on a paid D ticket and my partner is on a business class award, using my miles. Hence separate PNRs. I can choose my seats as a OW E, but there is nothing I can do about my partner's seats. I've tried having our PNRs linked, calling various BA and EC offices, but to no avail. Seating is a big deal to many people, especially on long or overnight flights. It's incomprehensible that BA would choose such a policy, since it seems to annoy so many of its good customers. I generally choose QF or CX for long flights, using BA only for intra-Europe connections. Our summer flights YVR-LHR and LHR-HKG will be our first BA CW, and the seat assignment business is very frustrating. It makes it much less likely that I'll choose BA for future trips.

Originally Posted by kered View Post
Iíd have to agree to a certain extent with those who say travelling alone, they donít mind too much where they sit, although I really do prefer a window seat. More importantly though, Iíd hate to be in one of the Love Seats.
Hang out on the AA board for a while -- seat selection is one of the main topics! It really does make a big difference to people where they sit, especially when there are middle seats.

Originally Posted by kered View Post
But it still bugs me senseless that while every other airline allows pre-assigning BA have taken that away. Especially when you take into account the sort of money you have to lash out for CW.
I agree.

Originally Posted by kered View Post
So unless thereís a U-turn on this policy, as soon as I drop back to Blue from Silver & lose the facility to pre-assign, Iíll be spending my money elsewhere.
This thread started with the rumor of such a U-turn. Is there any news on this?
anabolism is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 07, 2:06 am
  #148  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Programs: Mucci! And BA Gold Ė previous awards - Gold 9, Silver 4, Bronze 2
Posts: 3,089
Well I got a survvey today (actually I asked the CSD who was handing them out).

My response? I loved the on-board service (5* today, though I am not 100% convinced about NNCW seat) but i HATE the seating policy and the baggage policy. Put it in the largest type I could find (to ensure the short sighted youknowwho's at Waterworld take note).
BA or bust is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 07, 2:57 pm
  #149  
Bukhara
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited by Bukhara; Jul 26, 12 at 7:21 pm
 
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 07, 3:01 pm
  #150  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: UK
Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTG + Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 12,695
Thanks as ever, Bukhara. Good news - a welcome modification I think for many here as they mix GUFs and 241s, etc. or book their OH separately when they're on a work trip

*Awaits barrage from moaning Silvers*
G-BOAC is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread