OT: Tumi T3 - 22" or 20" model?

Old Apr 12, 07, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
Question OT: Tumi T3 - 22" or 20" model?

Im currently on holiday in San Francisco for a couple of weeks. I ve decided to invest in a Tumi T3 carry-on, as they are way cheaper here than in the UK or at duty free.

They do a 20 model for $450, which is 20 x 14 x 9. They also do a 22 version for $495, which is 22 x 13.5 x 10.5,

The current restriction on hand luggage, according to BA, is 22 x 18 x 10. Ideally Id like to buy the 22 model but Im concerned that it would fall foul of the regulation (by just half an inch) and Id have to put it in the hold, which is exactly what Im trying to avoid.

Has anyone had any problems with the 22 model? Am I best to play it safe and go for the 20 one?
Old Apr 12, 07, 6:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver. Apparently.
Had a similar decision to make on their T-Tech Pulse range. Could not quite be convinced I'd not get into trouble with the 22" model for carry-on purposes so bought the 20" convertible backpack instead.

JA.
Old Apr 12, 07, 6:32 pm

Presumable these are soft - so unless the brits have some very unusual scheme for forcing a bag out to its maximum dimension and then measuring (and rejecting) it, the maximum thickness dimension will depend at least a half-inch's worth on what you've stuffed into it.

BTW, what makes a bag worth $450? We got really tired of Briggs bags (not nearly so expensive, but not cheap, and well touted). After a while they needed to be repaired after almost every trip, an while the company will pay for that until the customer gets sick of it, we eventually got sick of it. And they're quite heavy. Kirkland seems to be working well for us.
Old Apr 12, 07, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by JohnAx View Post
BTW, what makes a bag worth $450? We got really tired of Briggs bags (not nearly so expensive, but not cheap, and well touted). After a while they needed to be repaired after almost every trip, an while the company will pay for that until the customer gets sick of it, we eventually got sick of it.
Just try a Tumi. You'll be convinced
Old Apr 12, 07, 9:13 pm

What the AndrewC just said. If you really don't want to spend, Tumi makes a few other lines that are a tad less expensive and are just nearly the same quality.
Old Apr 12, 07, 9:29 pm

Programs: BA Bronze & Hilton Gold
Once you've had a Tumi, you can't go back...
Old Apr 12, 07, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA 2MM, *wd gold
tumi at discount

If you're going to the wine country North from SF, get to St. Helena. There's a Tumi outlet there. Or, call them and see if they have what you want. They have great sales.

Originally Posted by Bartinbrook View Post
Im currently on holiday in San Francisco for a couple of weeks. I ve decided to invest in a Tumi T3 carry-on, as they are way cheaper here than in the UK or at duty free.

They do a 20 model for $450, which is 20 x 14 x 9. They also do a 22 version for $495, which is 22 x 13.5 x 10.5,

The current restriction on hand luggage, according to BA, is 22 x 18 x 10. Ideally Id like to buy the 22 model but Im concerned that it would fall foul of the regulation (by just half an inch) and Id have to put it in the hold, which is exactly what Im trying to avoid.

Has anyone had any problems with the 22 model? Am I best to play it safe and go for the 20 one?
Old Apr 12, 07, 11:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Gold
Trust me - get the 20"

With the handle and wheels etc and slightly overstuffed the 20" just makes it. The 22" absolutely does not - you won't get stopped Stateside but you run a chance of even the Fast Track dragons at LHR pulling you aside.
Old Apr 13, 07, 12:46 am

You're kidding - $450 for the bag. Thankfully I bought mine in Norway, I "only" paid $1000 for the slightly bigger bag (there is only one importer who sells it in Oslo).
Old Apr 13, 07, 1:44 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by jsincla View Post
Trust me - get the 20"

With the handle and wheels etc and slightly overstuffed the 20" just makes it. The 22" absolutely does not - you won't get stopped Stateside but you run a chance of even the Fast Track dragons at LHR pulling you aside.
This was my concern too

On our recent trip to SFO I was faced with the same dilemma. However I did have a chat to the guy at the Tumi store just outside the T1 loung and he said that the 22 would not meet the new regulations.

I ended up investing in a Travelpro from Macys by Union Square - I just could not stomach spending that amount of money on luggage - and I absolutely love it. I plan to buy bigger cases from their range on my next trip to replace my trusty and reliable 7 year old Samsonite hard case that am continually worried will get opened by the TSA during one of our US trips.

Macys have a great selection of luggage and some really helpful staff. Additionally, if you go to guest services on the top floor and say you are a tourist then you get a discount card that gives 11% off all items in the store (even those that are on sale). Not much but its better than a kick in the teeth.
Old Apr 13, 07, 2:30 am

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Originally Posted by pdsuk View Post
Additionally, if you go to guest services on the top floor and say you are a tourist then you get a discount card that gives 11% off all items in the store (even those that are on sale). Not much but its better than a kick in the teeth.
Not quite an 11% discount on everything as there are exclusions that they list on the card.
Still well worth having though
Old Apr 13, 07, 2:59 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
You'll run into trouble with the 22" on Candair RJs trying to get it in an overhead bin, although you can make it fit into the Embraer's. Same with an ATR and if you have to put it under the seat you need an understanding neighbour. Having said that it fits nicely on all Megajets and Hairbrushe's prodcuts.

I have never been stopped with a 22" T3.

Just a tip though, $400 is a lot compared to Tumi shops in outlet villages stateside.

Once you have a Tumi you won't buy any other case.
Old Apr 13, 07, 4:33 am

Programs: AS 75K, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pdsuk View Post
Macys have a great selection of luggage and some really helpful staff. Additionally, if you go to guest services on the top floor and say you are a tourist then you get a discount card that gives 11% off all items in the store (even those that are on sale). Not much but its better than a kick in the teeth.
That's a good tip, thanks ^ ! I assume this works for Macys stores anywhere in the US?
Old Apr 13, 07, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by VC10 Boy View Post
Once you have a Tumi you won't buy any other case.
^

Totally agree with this - worth the expense easily.

BAH
Old Apr 13, 07, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer View Post
You're kidding - $450 for the bag. Thankfully I bought mine in Norway, I "only" paid $1000 for the slightly bigger bag (there is only one importer who sells it in Oslo).
Well, for $1000 I certainly hope that you were able to train it to recognize you, leap off the baggage-delivery belt at your destination, come running to your side, and give you a big hug.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: