Wiki Posts
Search

IST CIP Priority Security Queue

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2007, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
IST CIP Priority Security Queue

Given the security queues to enter IST airport, can BA Business Class passengers use the CIP 'priority queue'?

If not, does anyone know how you can book their services - they have details on the airport website but not a way of booking them that I can see.

I'm on the 17:25 flight on Sunday - is that good or bad in terms of the queues?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old Apr 12, 2007, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Off to IST soon, and interested if anyone knows an answer to this one...also any tips on getting to and from the airport; am staying at the Ciragan Palace.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never found the queues that bad, nor noticed the CIP queue. I might be worth a try, but expect to be told no would be my advice.

krug - the hotel will happily send someone to pick you up for Euro 70 or similar. Or you can get a local cab for much less although the car will be significantly more ramshackle and the driving more hair raising (no personal safety issues at all, though there is chance of the driver trying to rip you off)! Personally I would go with the taxi but if it is your first visit you may feel more comfortable with the pick up.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
On the way from or to the airport, Istanbul taxi drivers will sometimes recommend that you take an alternate, faster route because the traffic is bad. The traffic is bad (it's almost always bad, except maybe Sunday afternoon), but don't choose "fast" unless a) you're really pressed for time and b) want to get rid of all the Turkish Lira in your wallet. We were taken on the fast route once - and it was almost twice as expensive as the regular route. My recollection is that the regular route costs in the range of 18-30 lira (to Taxim Hill). Count on the trip taking at least 40 minutes (it might be a little shorter on weekends or late in the evening) and possibly as long as 60 minutes.

There's free Wifi in the BA lounge at IST and an excellent shop (Thomas Pink-like) selling men's shirts, ties and women's scarves. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name (it's a Turkish label) - but the patterns are great. My colleague buys a shirt and tie there ever time we go to IST.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 1:47 am
TMC

Programs: United 1K, BA Silver, Marriott LTP
Agree with all of the above, I've been to IST 20 times in the last 6 months and the entrance queues are usually minimal - generally plenty of lines running, so just look around and choose the one with people with the least luggage!

Taxis are variable - to avoid the highways ask for the seaside route - also it restricts the drivers Grand Prix ambitions. I stay in the Conrad in Beşiktaş - on the highway it is YTL40 to 50, via the coast it is YTL30 to 40 and timewise not a great deal different. Usual advice applies ignore the touts and go outside for a taxi.

There is further screening at the gate, if you are carrying a laptop you'll be asked to turn it on.

First time visitors to Istanbul should be aware of the Visa process - particularly as no information is given onboard:

Not all nationalities require a visa (my French colleagues don't!), but British, US and some other EU nationalities do - there is a visa desk alongside the passport queues - don't join the passport queues until you have bought your visa sticker, you'll only waste time - you'll see plenty of people being turned away too. If you present your passport open on a page you want the sticker they normally oblige. Tender the correct money - unless you want change in YTL at their made up on the spot rates, for a UK visa it is £10, EU €15, US $20 - last 3 months or 90 days depending which sticker you win and is multiple entry.

When I last left IST, I knew I was returning after my visa expired, you can get a new sticker on departure (not stamped until you re-enter, so the time doesn't start). Take the lift next to Burger King down to the transit desks, and you can get to the visa desks - only takes a few minutes from the BA lounge as it is at the same end of the terminal.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 1:59 am
TMC

Programs: United 1K, BA Silver, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by Kate_Canuck
There's free Wifi in the BA lounge at IST and an excellent shop (Thomas Pink-like) selling men's shirts, ties and women's scarves. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name (it's a Turkish label) - but the patterns are great. My colleague buys a shirt and tie there ever time we go to IST.
You'll need to get the password from the front desk for the wifi; I won't post it on here as they'll end up having to change it!

I always walk past the shops, will have to take a look next week.

If you are buying any Loukoum (Turkish Delight) to bring back go to Haci Bekir in Eminönü - http://www.hacibekir.com.tr/eng/asayfa.html - the stuff sold at the airport is rubbish in comparison and a lot more expensive - the 200 year old shop is about a 25 minute walk from Taksim Square.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.