Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Reuters - BAA to cut airport security queues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2007, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - GGL GFL

MADRID (Reuters) - Airport operator BAA plans to spend 40 million pounds and hire hundreds of new staff to speed people through security in less than five minutes, it said on Tuesday.

BAA, owned by Spain's Ferrovial, came under heavy criticism last year over the way it tightened airport security checks after it was alerted by British police to an alleged plot to blow planes up over the Atlantic.

Hundreds of holidaymakers missed their flights because of the long queues and many complained about new rules restricting what they could take in their hand luggage.

BAA, which owns Heathrow and Gatwick airports, said its new investments would cut security queues to less than five minutes 95 percent of the time.

The company will recruit an extra 1,400 security guards and open 22 new security lanes across the airports, it said in a statement.

BAA is also planning to invest billions of pounds to improve its airports in time for the 2012 London Olympics, it said, without giving a specific number
Old Mar 27, 2007, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
I will believe it when I see it
Old Mar 27, 2007, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by vSFU
BAA, which owns Heathrow and Gatwick airports, said its new investments would cut security queues to less than five minutes 95 percent of the time.

The company will recruit an extra 1,400 security guards and open 22 new security lanes across the airports, it said in a statement.
Hmmmm.... would be nice if they just opened the ones they already have....
Old Mar 27, 2007, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Have to say ... was at Stansted at 6.30pm on Friday (my first trip to STN in about 6 months) and I was shocked at the large number of new security machines that are now operation. There was no queue at all and we found ourselves with rather too much time on our hands in the departure lounge - hence a £38 bill from Caviar House 45 minutes later!
Old Mar 27, 2007, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), *A Gold - TAP, SkyTeam E+, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Diamond, Sixt PL, GE/TSA Pre
Originally Posted by jamesmax
Exactly!

T4 FastTrack currently has two security lines with only one Metal Detector operational.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 8:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, PC RA, Hyatt GP Diamond, GoldPoints Gold
took me almost an hour to go through security on a recent flight from LGW to Malaga...
Old Mar 27, 2007, 8:46 am
27R

Programs: Programmes. Please!
MADRID (Reuters) - Airport operator BAA plans to spend 40 million pounds and hire hundreds of new staff to speed people through security in less than five minutes, it said on Tuesday.

BAA is also planning to invest billions of pounds to improve its airports in time for the 2012 London Olympics, it said, without giving a specific number
Forgive me for being cynical, but is there a target date for this investment to be completed? Maybe March 2008, when a new terminal opens, with many new security lanes, requiring new staff to be hired, and reducing the demand at other BAA terminals?
Old Mar 27, 2007, 8:46 am

I can see that they want to improve their image but I have NO HOPE that they will actually improve the wait times at LHR or LGW. Honestly, I even expect it to get worse.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So they have taken note of the survey they sent out I wonder?
Old Mar 27, 2007, 9:55 am

Programs: BA
In a little-known piece of consumerism BAA is actually fined by the DfT for having queueing times that exceed a specified amount. Recently came to light when it was found that BAA were fiddling figures by sampling queues at 2.00 am and similar.

Of course, the fines go to Gordon Brown, not to any of us actually stuck in the queues.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:00 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Originally Posted by Raffles
Have to say ... was at Stansted at 6.30pm on Friday (my first trip to STN in about 6 months) and I was shocked at the large number of new security machines that are now operation. There was no queue at all and we found ourselves with rather too much time on our hands in the departure lounge - hence a £38 bill from Caviar House 45 minutes later!
This is probably the sole reason BAA seems willing to improve the passenger experience... so the passengers, I mean customers, have more time to empty their wallets.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:36 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by 27R
Forgive me for being cynical, but is there a target date for this investment to be completed? Maybe March 2008, when a new terminal opens, with many new security lanes, requiring new staff to be hired, and reducing the demand at other BAA terminals?
Spot on ^ ^ ^
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

17:00 tonight - Zone R queue out ofthe entrance door to check in and starting to snake towards the main check in area. Why? Only 1 line in operation despite the evening peak happening 5 days out of 7 every week. After 10 mins waiting some of us got hauled out by a supervisor and taken to the staff line.

That then started a row between the idiot toiletry people and the supervisor about whether we could use the staff line! In his defence, he told them - nicely - to shut up. ^

This money is 8 months late being promised, and it is pathetic that it has taken fines and the threat of more to make BAA take action. The monopoly needs breaking up now to knock them out of their complacency. Take LGW, give it to someone competent and give us some competition.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), SAS EBG
Originally Posted by jamesmax
Agree 100%. Last Friday around 5pm in T1 there were 3 out of 8 security lanes open. 1 for staff and 1 out of 2 for fast track.

Amazingly bad service.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 1:45 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Surely the article is a few days early?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.