BA back to Newquay

Old Mar 11, 09, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oooh, that is good news. Makes a weekend in the mother county very do-able.
Old Mar 11, 09, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Great, I can try some of that Newquay Brown Ale

(One of my pet hates is people down south seem to think that geordies say Newky Brown Ale, but for us Newky sounds like Newquay)

I do think this Newquay service should be codeshared with either BA or CityJet so that it can benefit from connecting traffic.

Originally Posted by ajamieson
It is also a logical response to the explicit predatory activities of FlyMayBe who have introduced 'competition' on LGW-NQY by offering the same four rotations at exactly the same times of day as WOW but at loss-leading headline prices. A bus company would be prevented from doing this to a rival because it might harm a social service but with airlines it is apparently acceptable.
FlyMayBe have a history of predatory scheduling and pricing to force competitors off the route. Unfortunately most people look at the short term and forget about the long term when enjoying their 'bargain' fares. As for bus companies, Stagecoach has been known to do the same thing, Darlington springs to mind.

Originally Posted by ajamieson
Anyway, I hope LCY succeeds where other similar domestic services have failed.
I still think that someone should give LCY-NCL another go. Eastern Airways were competing for premium passengers (Eastern's fares are typically not competitive on price) that typically travelled GNER. Now the service standards have dropped LCY-NCL may be worth another shot.

Last edited by layz; Mar 11, 09 at 12:03 pm
Old Mar 11, 09, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Excellent news, I wonder who they got the slots from?

LCY-ABZ should also really be considered by someone too.
Old Mar 11, 09, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by spanishflea View Post
Excellent news, I wonder who they got the slots from?

LCY-ABZ should also really be considered by someone too.
Possibly Eastern Airways who received the slots from KLM Cityhopper.

As a condition of VLM merging with AF-KLM the OFT insisted that they sell some slots. The slots were supposed to be be used on a competing LCY-AMS route.

I assume Eastern decided not to continue because of the current economic situation.

I'm thinking of a weekend away, the prices are decent. So what is there to do in Plymouth or Newquay?
Old Mar 11, 09, 5:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
WOW is very well regarded locally so i can see a very good future whereas Flymaybe isnt so well regarded with a history advertising new routes from NQY and pulling them before they start (NQY-SOU) or starting up a route in direct competition to WOW (NQY-GLA) and then pulling it when they dont the loads that they were after.

just to correct, flymaybe currently nightstop a q400 at NQY and operate 3 daily NQY-LGW-NQY with the aircraft sitting on the tarmac for several hours unused when it could be doing something useful, like a route not currently served from NQY.

Personally i think that both WOW and BA would benefit from codesharing on most of the routes! but for certain on the NQY/PLH - LGW & LCY. especially given that BA handle WOW at LGW! i have emailed both WOW and BA in the past about this but have never had a positive response, i would suggest that anyone who is of a similar opinion gets emailing!
Old Mar 11, 09, 5:30 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Good news indeed!!! I just hope that Air SW don't cut the LGW flights.... Where are they getting the extra aircraft from?? Or are Air SW cutting back elsewhere? Any local knowledge on this, CornishSimon? I am flying both operators next week to / from LGW-NQY...
I have also e-mailed BA about code-sharing on these former Brymon services...
Old Mar 11, 09, 5:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by Skipcool3 View Post
Good news indeed!!! I just hope that Air SW don't cut the LGW flights.... Where are they getting the extra aircraft from?? Or are Air SW cutting back elsewhere? Any local knowledge on this, CornishSimon? I am flying both operators next week to / from LGW-NQY...
I have also e-mailed BA about code-sharing on these former Brymon services...
hi Rich!

from what im hearing its using the spare aircraft which they seem to have most of the day. but this will put them upto capacity as far as the 5 aircraft they have. cant seem to find anything suggesting another dh8 has been sourced, from what i understand dh8-300's arent that easy to come by at the moment.

To answer the question tho, There certainly doesnt seem to be any schedule cuts at the moment, the 4xdaily NQY/PLH-LGW is still scheduled as normal and they seem to be holding their own on it!

Glad to see you supporting the fight to get the wow services codeshared! thought you might join the cause!!
Old Jun 1, 09, 6:08 am

just a quick update,
i know this isnt BA but as quite a few of the routes were previously BA and considering that BA handle the flights at LGW i thought it would be allowed!!

If any of you guys are getting an air southwest flight in the future you will need to look out for flight codes SZ instead of WOW, for instance SZ105 NQY-LGW.

Hope that this helps anyone who is travelling with air southwest and who is used to the wow flight prefix.

CS

http://www.newquaycornwallairport.co...rticleid=48317

Search this Thread
Search Engine: