Search

BA back to Newquay

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2007, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by stut
Met at Truro station by a nice man from Europcar, and straight on your way to the King Harry Ferry.
Or indeed the nice woman in the Hertz office on the platform!

Ah, the King Harry Ferry. Never thought I'd see that on FT! Ended up doing 7 journeys on it in 4 days last week. On a £ per mile basis, it makes the £4 single fare from Leicester Square to Covent Garden on the underground look like a bargain.

Last edited by Raffles; Sep 25, 2007 at 7:42 am Reason: Can't spell fare!
Old Sep 25, 2007, 7:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Well they've got to pay for the new boat somehow

Anyone who has tried the excruciating alternative road journey through Tregony will never resent the KHF fee again...
Old Sep 25, 2007, 8:02 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Anyone who has tried the excruciating alternative road journey through Tregony, at twilight, in an unfamiliar hire car, when you don't usually drive, after an 8 hour journey, after two very, very late nights...

Anyway, I thought the expensive fees were only for the emmets like us...

I did, however, enjoy the "Let the Chain Take the Strain" slogan
Old Sep 25, 2007, 8:22 am

Very good

Yes, I have book of local-concession tickets sitting in the house. If only I would ever remember to put the bloody thing in the car before setting out...
Old Sep 25, 2007, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Raffles
Just got back from a week in Devon and Cornwall, albeit by train not plane. If taking the train, there is a Hertz at Truro station which is fantastic for picking up a car. We wanted to see a bit of Devon as well, though, so got a train to Exeter, picked up a car in Exeter (Hertz is a £7 taxi ride away, nothing at the station) then dropped the car back at Truro.

Newquay airport is certainly convenient, though. St Ives (Tate), Eden Project and Padstow (Rick Stein's restaurants) all within easy striking distance. I was also impressed by how much the road network has improved since I was last down that way 6-7 years ago.

For Exeter, the train is a bit of no-brainer as its only 2.5 hours. Coming back, though, the journey from Truro was 5 hours and 6 minutes! Impressively, instead of the promised change-over of buffet crew at Plymouth, what actually happened was that the old crew got off and, erm, no-one got on. Hence no catering for the next 4 hours.

The refurbished HST's on First Great Western are not bad in F - brand new seats, rather than a recovering of the old ones. Coming back we got an older set but these seem to be being refurbed pretty quickly. If there are no cheap F tickets when you book, the £10 Weekend First upgrade - assuming seats available - is an exceptional deal if you're coming up from Cornwall.
These were the grey/blue leather seats and the pink smoke logo on the side of the carriage?

I hated these see post #101 for full details, but very uncomfortable for sleeping (especially as I kept sliding off the seat as we left the stations), the soft padded headrest has gone, they were too hard and I think there's more recline in a WT seat.

Those seats on a long journey would drive me to use a plane.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 9:58 am

I had understood that the refurbished HSTs were only for use on the M4 corridor services (PAD-BRI/CDF), not for the long-haul services? Maybe this is yet another backtrack from FGW after the unmitigated (and expensive) distaster that was the Adelantes.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stut
I had understood that the refurbished HSTs were only for use on the M4 corridor services (PAD-BRI/CDF), not for the long-haul services? Maybe this is yet another backtrack from FGW after the unmitigated (and expensive) distaster that was the Adelantes.
They were certainly going to Exeter two Sats ago, but it was the day of the rugby in Cardiff and they had been playing around with the diagrams, so it could have been a one-off.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought this thread was about flying to NQY
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by A Black Pot
I thought this thread was about flying to NQY
I know, I know. You make a thread, people go OT, then before you know it: human sacrifice, cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hard to believe, but LH has just announced flights from DUS to Newquay, starting in June 2008. Apparently Germans, mad on Rosmund Pilcher novels, form the largest overseas tourist group in Cornwall.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 9:59 am
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
Little wonder, although I wonder if they visit Torquay more since John Cleese moved to Santa Barbara??
Old Sep 29, 2007, 7:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by Raffles
Hard to believe, but LH has just announced flights from DUS to Newquay, starting in June 2008. Apparently Germans, mad on Rosmund Pilcher novels, form the largest overseas tourist group in Cornwall.

once weekly!!
but every little helps^
http://www.newquaycornwallairport.co...ssrelease.html
Old Mar 11, 2009, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA is not back to NQY this time.

But WOW is starting NQY-PLH-LCY flights, twice daily (exc Sat), starting 20 April, with heaps of £29 all-in fares.

http://www.airsouthwest.com/news/shownews.php?ne_id=225
Old Mar 11, 2009, 7:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
BA is not back to NQY this time.

But WOW is starting NQY-PLH-LCY flights, twice daily (exc Sat), starting 20 April, with heaps of £29 all-in fares.

http://www.airsouthwest.com/news/shownews.php?ne_id=225
That's good news, thanks for posting Smirnoff, hand't seen that. Now if we could just get WOW to code share with BA ^
Old Mar 11, 2009, 8:28 am

Indeed fantastic news, and a route I'll be delighted to support. It will also save me hours of roundtrip travelling as LGW is a pain to access from where I live.

It is also a logical response to the explicit predatory activities of FlyMayBe who have introduced 'competition' on LGW-NQY by offering the same four rotations at exactly the same times of day as WOW but at loss-leading headline prices. A bus company would be prevented from doing this to a rival because it might harm a social service but with airlines it is apparently acceptable. Anyway, I hope LCY succeeds where other similar domestic services have failed.

http://www.thisiswesternmorningnews....l/article.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.