Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Cabin Crew Vote 96% In Favour Of Strike Action

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Cabin Crew Vote 96% In Favour Of Strike Action

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:03 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by The Saint
Indeed, and, as a pilot, only just a hint of "I'm all right, Jack".
Perhaps you would care to elaborate where you think the post is incorrect or disingenous...
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by AJLondon
Perhaps you would care to elaborate where you think the post is incorrect or disingenous...
I don't think anything is incorrect. I find it mildly disingenuous to find a pilot lecturing the cabin crew on this topic. Pilots are not averse, as I recall, to threatening a bit of industrial unrest to protect their pay and working conditions.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:22 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
I don't think anything is incorrect. I find it mildly disingenuous to find a pilot lecturing the cabin crew on this topic. Pilots are not averse, as I recall, to threatening a bit of industrial unrest to protect their pay and working conditions.
My original commendation of the post in question was based purely on the validity of the argument made, rather than taking into account the profession of the poster.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:26 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Wasn't it Panic Stations that said, "If they touch my pension, I strike"? Or was that another pilot?

Cheers,
Rick
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
It depends what you constitute as "threat" I suppose. When was the last time BALPA actually balloted for IA?

It would seem, contrary to Cabin Crew's protestations, that BALPA have done for the pilot's pension exactly what they should have done: achieved a negotiated settlement without foot-stamping, histrionics and prepubescent cries of "it's just not FAIR!!!!"
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by AJLondon
My original commendation of the post in question was based purely on the validity of the argument made, rather than taking into account the profession of the poster.
Absolutely. We are agreed about the lucidity and cogency of the post. I was looking at the wider perspective.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
It depends what you constitute as "threat" I suppose. When was the last time BALPA actually balloted for IA?

It would seem, contrary to Cabin Crew's protestations, that BALPA have done for the pilot's pension exactly what they should have done: achieved a negotiated settlement without foot-stamping, histrionics and prepubescent cries of "it's just not FAIR!!!!"
Best to do some checks before making some of your sweeping statements.

Last time BALPA threatened BA with strike action - Nov 2006.
Last time BALPA balloted for strike action - July 2006 (with bmi).
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Wasn't it Panic Stations that said, "If they touch my pension, I strike"? Or was that another pilot?

Cheers,
Rick
BALPA has itself engaged in sabre-rattling, as evidenced in this story from February 2006.

Originally Posted by BBC News
Pilots at British Airways (BA) are being advised by their union to borrow Ł25,000 each to prepare for a long strike over their pension scheme.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4697766.stm
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:51 pm

OK, let's bring bmi into it. That'll help.

If we are being pedantic...

It depends what you constitute as "threat" I suppose. When was the last time BALPA actually balloted for IA at BA?
Old Jan 24, 2007, 1:00 pm

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
If a legally binding contract states that an employee can retire at 55, then could one also not say "tough" to anybody who argues, even if correctly, that this makes no sense. A contract is a contract, and can be upheld in courts of law. How can any party unilaterally alter the terms of a contract without the explicit consent of the other? I don't know any person who would like or accept such a situation, whatever the terms being debated, and whatever their position in a company.

[...]

Would a better solution to this particular issue not be to offer limited buyouts to those who volunteer, keep on those who insist on staying under the original terms of their contract and BA takes a temporary hit, and hire new workers under new terms more favorable to the company? Rather than pushing new terms on employees who thought they had signed a contracy? Can that happen in the current BA-union arrangement or do terms have to apply universally to all union members?
Whether someone actually retires or not at 55 is not really BA's concern; it's the pension BA has to pay them that is more of an issue.

Pension rights in this sort of scheme are acquired, or earned, over someone's service. So if you joined at 25 and are now 40, and currently have a normal retirement age of 55, then you have the contractual right to half of your promised pension (based on whatever formula it's calculated on) at age 55. Future service rights, i.e. the rights you have yet to earn between (in this case) 40 and 55, can quite legally be varied, in the same way that other benefits can be varied, and in fact most pension plans specifically contain a clause allowing the benefits to be varied for future service.

Then, these contractual rights can sometimes be varied by negotiation, or for example if there really isn't enough money to pay for them (or if by paying them, other pension scheme members suffer as a result).

So I understand the current proposal being offered is
- to continue to allow the people concerned to retire at 55, but to ask them to pay more for their future service rights, keeping the past service rights unchanged (a sort of "limited buyout"?), or
- instead of asking them to pay more, asking them to work longer instead, and
- presumably offering a different deal to new employees (as you suggest).
Old Jan 24, 2007, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
OK, let's bring bmi into it. That'll help.
Gosh, sorry, there was I thinking there was only one BALPA, your point being that it was a nice reasonable union that didn't engage in such tactics. Now I realise, as expediency dictates, that you are referring to two different BALPAs. There's the BALPA (bmi division) which is run by trots threatening all sorts of industrial action to get the company to accept its demands, and then there's BALPA (BA division) which has an entirely different and more concilliatory approach and not at all prone to pre-pubescent rants.

Oh, and by doing a quick Google search, I discover the BALPA held the gun to BA's head in 1996. Can't be bothered to check any further. I think one example suffices.

Last edited by The Saint; Jan 24, 2007 at 1:23 pm
Old Jan 24, 2007, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by latitude

Everyone has the luxury of choice. If people are really un-happy then it is time for a change, maybe even a career change. For others they will shrug off the changes and continue.....However, I do know that BA have some fantastic staff in all areas of the business, and they should work to keep these staff through whatever means possible.
Sadly, most people DON'T have a choice, particularly when it comes to keeping a job, family and a home. They keep the job so they can keep the others. Career changes are expensive and complex.

And that's the problem for us. BA does have excellent staff; my guess is that they'll strike, lose some of the battle, and we'll end up with those cheery American-style crews who, after losing pay and benefits year on year, really don't care about the passengers at all.

Few crew will quit when such changes are made, because they do have bills to pay. They're just going to resent being there. And management will hold onto them precisely because they're less expensive to keep than recruiting new ones. Just like CO, AA, and others.

Really, the only ones that suffer when the crews are unhappy and miserable are the passengers. I hope that - if the crew don't win this fight - the people on this board remember why the crews are angry.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 1:02 pm

The solution to this dispute can, and should, be found at the negotiating table

Last edited by oldone; Dec 5, 2013 at 3:20 pm
Old Jan 24, 2007, 1:14 pm

Gosh, sorry, there was I thinking there was only one BALPA, your point being that it was a nice reasonable union that didn't engage in such tactics. Now I realise, as expediency dictates, that you are referring to two different BALPAs. There's the BALPA (bmi division) which is run by trots threatening all sorts of industrial action to get the company to accept its demands, and then there's BALPA (BA division) which has an entirely different and more concilliatory approach and not at prone to pre-pubescent rants.
Gosh...so you are saying that pilots at bmi should have identical industrial relations with their employer as their counterparts in BA just because they're members of the same union? Oh dear.

I wonder if you can find another example of two groups who have wildly difference approaches to IR. Oh, wait...BASSA and CC89! And they're even in the same company. Bingo!

If we're agreed that striking is an unsuccessful outcome of industrial negotiation then BASSA are very close to proving their worth...
Old Jan 24, 2007, 1:25 pm
TMC

Programs: United 1K, BA Silver, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by JonWB
That is an impressive record! I've had 2 days off in 8 years.
Not bad is it - I've managed zero in 20 years so far - if I feel unwell it seems to coincide with the flight home or a weekend!

So with the first strike day cancelled, is there likely to be enough movement on cancelling the rest? (I want to cancel my Turkish Airlines booking for non-strike days that ba.com won't let me book!)

Last edited by TMC; Jan 24, 2007 at 1:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.