EDI FT Do : 12 May 2007

Old Jan 10, 2007, 1:40 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

EDI FT Do : 12 May 2007

It's been almost two years since our last Edinburgh gathering and I am delighted to announce the 2007 EDI FT DO.

Here's just some of the events on offer this year to whet your appetite:
  • The ever popular Saturday night dinner and drinks (with more drinks afterwards )
  • A relaxed Sunday afternoon champagne picnic on Cramond Island, our own little Alcatraz in the Firth of Forth. I regret that this event has now been cancelled. Keeping with the nautical theme, the alternative activity for Sunday will revolve around the Ocean Terminal in Leith
This invitation guarantees charming, enchanting and wickedly humoured company, drinking abound in one of the most hospitable cities in Europe and most important of all, it is extended to all. Visitors from overseas are especially welcome.

So there's really no excuse for not coming along. Mark this up in your diary today.

The up-to-date EDI FT Gathering 2007 information brochure is now available and below is the present line up of events for Friday 11th and Saturday 12th:

• Evening drinks at The World's End, 4 High Street
    Friday 11 May, from 7:30pm onwards

Some of our most dedicated attendees are arriving on Friday 11th, so we'll be having a few drinks in their honour. Not a big bar crawl, because there's jet lag and Saturday night to think of, but a few beers and some good company. Starting at The World's End at 7.30pm onwards for a sharpener and some simple Scottish bar food - the menu includes venison burgers and haggis, neeps and tatties - as well as a few drinks, we'll be heading on up the Royal Mile to sample the atmosphere at other bars. For those who want to join later, let me or AJ know and we'll arrange a meet later on.

• Saturday daytime events. There are two on offer:

ajamieson has very kindly offered to host his own very special brand of city centre tour on the Saturday for those preferring some light sightseeing from, say, 10.30am. Suggested highlights include a look at the view from the ramparts of Edinburgh Castle then a stroll down the Royal Mile, taking in one or several of the many attractions on route. Depending on what discounts can be swindled it will be one or both of: a tour and tasting at the Scottish Whisky Heritage Centre; an open-top bus tour. Those arriving into Edinburgh during the afternoon can join are welcome to join in at any time. AJ is happy to hear suggestions or requests.

Alternatively, a group trip out to East Fortune, to visit National Museums of Scotland's Museum of Flight. Transportation from the airport and city centre shall be arranged for those arriving before 1:00pm. Dependent on numbers this will either take the form of car pooling or the hire of a mini-bus. As it is essential to book tickets in advance for the Concorde Experience, I suggest that those interested in this event sign up before Monday 07 May. This will allow us to arrange transportation and make enquiries into group rates for museum entry.

• Pre-dinner rendezvous drinks at Cafe Royal Circle Bar, 19 West Register Street
    Saturday 12 May from 6:00 pm

• Champagne reception at Valvona & Crolla, 19 Elm Row
    Saturday 12 May from 7:30 pm

Through-out the entire evening, the V&C shop will remain open to us and we have been generously offered 10% discount on all purchases.

• Dinner at Valvona & Crolla Caffe Bar, 19 Elm Row
    Saturday 12 May from 8:15 pm until midnight

The official Dinner Invitation and Payment mechanism is up and running.

http://ediftdinner.eventbrite.com/

The payment I ask of you now is for a basic package: covers dinner, mineral water, bread, salt n pepper, napkin. If anyone has any special dietary requirements, V&C will be happy to tailor the menu to suit - please make sure you fill in the response box on the booking page. The charge is £42.00 per cover which includes an unavoidable merchants/currency conversion fee of £2.00.

Bookings for dinner close at 6:00pm GMT on Thursday 03 May.

In the event where you have paid for dinner but subsequently find you need to cancel, please let me know as soon as you possibly can. I will be more than happy to refund you in full (minus any transaction fee imposed by Paypal)

• Sunday Lunch and Royal Yacht Britannia exhibition at The Sky Bar and Restaurant, Unit 42, Ocean Terminal
    Sunday 13 May from 1:00pm

It will be a free and easy affair where you are welcome to join in at your leisure, have lunch, relaxed afternoon libation, pop in either before and/or after taking in the Royal Yacht Britannia exhibit next door. Those staying at nice hotels () can skip the brunch but attend the RYB tour and eat afterwards. Think of it as our base for the afternoon.

Lothian Buses run several high frequency services out to Ocean Terminal. For those staying at the Sheraton, Hilton Caledonian, Clarendon and Hudson, the bus to look out for is the 22. Bus stop is conveniently located on Lothian Road at the kerb of the Hilton Caledonian.

List of confirmed attendees: (with possibles indicated in grey)
If you see your name displayed in red, please PM me as soon as you possibly can, thanks
Code:
Name                  Arrival           Departure         AJ's pub crawl™   City Centre tour  Museum of Flight  Dinner at V&C     Royal Yacht Brit
                                                          Fri 11 May        Sat 12 May        Sat 12 May        Sat 12 May        Sun 13 May
____________________  ________________  ________________  ________________  ________________  ________________  ________________  ________________
Abstract1
Aerotec               n/a               n/a                                                   Confirmed         Paid
Airbusboy             Sat 13:40 BA2938  Sun 14:15 BA2939                                                        Paid
ajamieson             n/a               n/a               Confirmed         Confirmed                           Paid
AJLondon              Sat 10:10 BA1438                                                        Confirmed         Paid
alex0683de            Sat 12:15 BD608   Mon 10:05 BD607                                       Confirmed         Paid
ba bob                Sat 11:45 BA8706  Sun 19:10 BA8709                                      Confirmed         Paid
BahrainLad            Sat 11:45 BA8706  Sun 19:20 BA1463                                      Confirmed         Paid
Boddingtons           Sat 16:05 BD58    Mon                                                                     Paid
Bounty                                                    Confirmed
braefoot                                                  Confirmed                                             Paid
Mr braefoot                                               Confirmed
Brian_1               Sat 10:05 BD52    Sun 19:05 BD63                                                                            Confirmed
chtiet                                                                                                          Paid
edi-traveller         n/a               n/a                                                                     Paid
ediYank
flyclub               Sat 13:40 BA2938  Sun 14:15 BA2939                                                        Paid 
G-BOAC                Sat 16:05 BD58    Sun 19:05 BD63                                                          Paid
GoingAway             Fri               Mon               Confirmed         Confirmed                           Paid              Confirmed
Heathrow777           Sat 12:35 BA1442  Mon 13:45 BA1445                                                        Paid
Jenbel                n/a               n/a                                                   Confirmed         Paid
jhm                   Sat 13:40 BA2938  Sun 19:20 BA1463                                                        Paid
krug                  Fri 20:30 BA2944  Sun 19:20 BA1463                                      Confirmed         Paid              Confirmed
Macspreader                                                                                   Confirmed         Paid
Moomba                Sat 12:30 BD54    Mon 21:19 BD65                                                          Paid              Confirmed
More Champagne Sir?   Sat 16:05 BD58    Sun 19:20 BA1463                                                        Paid              Confirmed
Peter747              Fri 18:00 BA6197  Sun 18:50 BA4654                                                        Paid              Confirmed
PhilH                 Fri 21:05 BA1462  Sun 19:20 BA1463  Confirmed                           Confirmed         Paid              Confirmed
Prospero              n/a               n/a               Confirmed                           Confirmed         Paid              Confirmed
Pyeinthesky           Sat 13:05 BE7055  Sun 20:40 BE7066                                                        Paid              Confirmed
row1A                 Sat 12:30 BD54    Mon                                                   Confirmed         Paid              Confirmed
SeeYa                 Fri 13:05 LH4940  Mon 06:50 LH4945  Confirmed         Confirmed                           Paid              Confirmed
Sparkster             Sat 11:45 BA8706  Sun 19:20 BA1463                                      Confirmed         Paid
Steady-EDI            Sat               Sun                                                                     Paid
Subhi                 n/a               n/a               Confirmed                           Confirmed         Paid              Confirmed
superscot                                                 Confirmed                                             Paid
swissytrader          Sat 13:35 EZ235   Sun 19:25 EZ244                                                         Paid
Tazi                  Fri 12:45 BA1442  Mon 09:05 BA1439  Confirmed         Confirmed                           Paid              Confirmed
Wudy15
____________________  ________________  ________________  ________________  ________________  ________________  ________________  ________________
Name                  Arrival           Departure         AJ's pub crawl™   City Centre tour  Museum of Flight  Dinner at V&C     Royal Yacht Brit
                                                          Fri 11 May        Sat 12 May        Sat 12 May        Sat 12 May        Sun 13 May

Last edited by Prospero; May 10, 2007 at 3:31 pm Reason: Added link to amended brochure
Old Jan 10, 2007, 1:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Sheep will be delighted to attend, and spend his birthday weekend in Auld Reekie
Old Jan 10, 2007, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
What a pleasant warm up for Oz Fest 2007. Count me in there laddie.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Yes please!
Old Jan 10, 2007, 1:51 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

What a fantastic start - less than ten minutes in and we already have the endorsement of our regular party warriors ^ ^ ^
Old Jan 10, 2007, 1:53 pm

I'm in too ^
Old Jan 10, 2007, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, Flyingblue Gold, Alitalia Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
count me in
Old Jan 10, 2007, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
What a fantastic start - less than ten minutes in and we already have the endorsement of our regular party warriors ^ ^ ^
But of course. And you need to alert our friends on the bmi/GNER forum and perhaps even (shock, horror) the AAnother place.

Any idea on flights or hotels? BA.com giving a very tasty 80-odd up on Saturday morning, down Sunday evening...but I may extend to Monday night and do some work from our EDI office that day instead (if I am likely to get pickled at the picnic for example!)
Old Jan 10, 2007, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
We should probably warn BahrainLad that there will be buses involved... and we know how good he is with buses when drunk
Old Jan 10, 2007, 2:48 pm
Suspended

I am in and would like to take a walk around Royal Yacht Britannia on Saturday early afternoon, before the drinking gets going....

Will probably go up Saturday am and return late Sunday.

For those others travelling up for the weekend, can I suggest departing from Gatwick to take advantage of the F Lounge:

BA have fares from 84.40
BD (exLHR) from 58

I will return on the last flight to LHR as its easier and avoids a crappy 737.

Not sure where to stay - any suggestions, happy to share if anyone's brave enough!

Last edited by krug; Jan 11, 2007 at 4:17 am
Old Jan 10, 2007, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Jenbel
We should probably warn BahrainLad that there will be buses involved... and we know how good he is with buses when drunk
What? Don't you have cabs in Scotland?

Shouldn't be too much of a problem. I am Scottish after all.....
Old Jan 10, 2007, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BahrainLad

Splendid. We all look forward to you sporting your kilt and sporran.......
Old Jan 10, 2007, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA Prem, LH Blue, Thai Gold ,KLM Ivory, Priority Club Plat, HiltonH Gold, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by BahrainLad

Hopefully I can attenmd so put me down aS A MAYBE
Old Jan 10, 2007, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
I would love to attend the EDI Do, but I fear this is just before I have a few exams so it is a no go at this stage. Will re-confirm closer to the time once I have been given confirmation of exam dates (fingers crossed).
Old Jan 10, 2007, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by krug
Splendid. We all look forward to you sporting your kilt and sporran.......
Er...not likely! The kilt was bought when I was 10, alas, I fear it will not fit these days (despite the best efforts of Holmes Place/Virgin Active/Whatever they're calling themselves this week)!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.