Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT-ish what to do with Qantas Club card?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2008, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Question OT-ish what to do with Qantas Club card?

As luck would have it!

A few weeks ago I purchased a Qantas Club membership in order to gain lounge access when travelling chav class.

I didn't expect to be in possession of a silver card this year (I'm not yet, but will be in two weeks).

So now I've purchased the damn thing, what on earth can I do with it? It's now a pretty worthless piece of plastic.

In fact, I've never actually used the card .... I have once shown a printout of my Qantas Club membership to the dragons at JFK- and that's it.

Any ideas?

(heh, yes, I know I'm a dick... but I honestly didn't expect to get enough TP this year)
Old Oct 26, 2008, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by jghill
(heh, yes, I know I'm a dick... )
I believe that the correct terminology for this board is (k)nob

Not sure there much you can do but see how your BA status is looking when the QC card comes up for renewal.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 2:18 pm

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush Elite, AA Plat, BA Blue, and a host of others.
It might be useful if you find yourself flying a purely domestic route in the USA. I don't know if you ever would, but if so, there is no lounge access without either a QC or AC membership.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 2:27 pm
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by dfotn
It might be useful if you find yourself flying a purely domestic route in the USA. I don't know if you ever would, but if so, there is no lounge access without either a QC or AC membership.
Eh? On the two occasions where I've flown domestic AA, my Oneworld Sapphire got me in. Did I get lucky? I thought AA (like UA) only skanked their own elites but couldn't get away with doing it to the rest of the alliance.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Gaz
Eh? On the two occasions where I've flown domestic AA, my Oneworld Sapphire got me in. Did I get lucky? I thought AA (like UA) only skanked their own elites but couldn't get away with doing it to the rest of the alliance.
You didn't get lucky. Perhaps dfotn can clarify what s/he meant? I'm confused as well.

Last edited by jjpb3; Oct 26, 2008 at 2:54 pm
Old Oct 26, 2008, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

as it happens I shall be on two AA flights and one SouthWest flight, both US domestic, in a week and a half.

Great news.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 3:13 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
You shouldn't have any problem using AA lounges with your BA card. I have many times without problem.

If you're travelling a lot in Australia, do the cards not offer access when not flying (or not flying QF), sorry only benefit I can think off. I suspect you also pay a joining fee, so it may be worth holding onto (renewing) if you don't make Silver in the coming years.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 3:14 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
I believe you can put a hold on mmebership. Call QF and advise you now have status and see if they can hold your Qantas Club membership until your silver expires.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 7:10 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
Originally Posted by Dan72
If you're travelling a lot in Australia, do the cards not offer access when not flying (or not flying QF), sorry only benefit I can think off. I suspect you also pay a joining fee, so it may be worth holding onto (renewing) if you don't make Silver in the coming years.
No they don't...you have to be flying QF or similar to get lounge access with just QC membership.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 8:23 pm

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush Elite, AA Plat, BA Blue, and a host of others.
Originally Posted by Gaz
Originally Posted by jjpb3
You didn't get lucky. Perhaps dfotn can clarify what s/he meant? I'm confused as well.
I am a he BTW. I learned something today. I had no idea that it was only AA that was "skanking" me. I thought it was One World policy as well. Ain't that something. I guess they do it to get the $400.00 out of me every year.

I went to the OW web site and there it was: "American Airlines AAdvantageŽ Program: American Airlines AAdvantageŽ Program members, regardless of their tier status, are skanked and may not use lounges when travelling on solely North American itineraries (defined as within or between the USA, Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean). In these cases, access rules are governed by American Airlines' own outrageously venal and grasping rules (ie paid lounge-access membership)."
Old Oct 26, 2008, 9:07 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Move along here, nothing to see, move along
Old Oct 26, 2008, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by AN_Boy
I believe you can put a hold on mmebership. Call QF and advise you now have status and see if they can hold your Qantas Club membership until your silver expires.
I believe they do that when someone gains Gold status (equivalent to BAEC Silver) and above in QFF, since one of the perks of attaining such status is "complimentary Qantas Club membership." I am not sure if the ability to suspend paid up QP membership is extended to members of other OW FFPs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.