Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Expect Delays ex LHR/LGW )and possibly most of UK) thoughout 19/12

Expect Delays ex LHR/LGW )and possibly most of UK) thoughout 19/12

Old Dec 19, 2006, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
You do have to smile at airlines, ahem optimism when it comes to flight delays.

I'm off to GLA this afternoon on BD, so I looked at their website for latest timings. BD3 is showing an on time (0905) departure from GLA and on time (1035) arrival at LHR. This could be somewhat challenging as it is now 1125!

If I look at the BAA departures info at GLA, it says for BD3 "Gate Open" so the plane hasn't started boarding yet!

So any bets on when BD10 will depart this afternoon?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 4:31 am
SLF

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Yes it's my double dose of no frills flying today.

Outward on Air Southwest that leaves (or not) at 0905. Apparently the incoming (due in at 0830 is still hovering somewhere if the propellors haven't dropped off yet).

Return on Ryanair, if I ever get down there.
Would you like us to remind you what FR will tell you if they have irregular ops later today?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 4:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
That would be FR who just immediately cancelled all of their flights in the high winds in DUB a few weeks back?

(fortunately, since I refuse to fly FR, i'd booked EI and we had an ontime departure )
Old Dec 19, 2006, 5:18 am

Programs: BD DC, BA EC, AAdvantage, Hhonors and now NZ Aipoints
BA have just cancelled 3 flights this afternoon from LHR - ABZ, NCL and MAN

Not a great day to be travelling dom!!!

P
Old Dec 19, 2006, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Gold. Mucci Diamond Hairbursh & Mucci des Sacs Exotiques
Originally Posted by Boddingtons
How did you get that amount of miles from your BAH trip BAg Lady?

I was trying to work it out from your thread regarding the issue but couldn't quite work it out.
Originally Posted by Teece
2x 65,000 bonus for F r/t?
You got it, and enough Tier points to get me back to Gold. ^ Exhausting but worth it - though still stuck in the Terraces with no end in sight
Old Dec 19, 2006, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Gold. Mucci Diamond Hairbursh & Mucci des Sacs Exotiques
Originally Posted by SpudGun
Anyone else in Dom T1 Terraces?P
I am...and now my flight is boarding - YIPPEEEEE.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by BAg Lady
I am...and now my flight is boarding - YIPPEEEEE.

jealous

just been told I have a further 35min delay to GLA! - now departing at 13.35

what are the chances on me making the 15.40 to LDY? At the moment, I would not put the almost empty glass of red beside me on it!

P
Old Dec 19, 2006, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SpudGun
jealous

just been told I have a further 35min delay to GLA! - now departing at 13.35

what are the chances on me making the 15.40 to LDY? At the moment, I would not put the almost empty glass of red beside me on it!

P
Just to lift your spirits further, there's currently freezing fog in LDY with just 275m m visability. This morning's BA rotations operated through Belfast with a bus service. Can't help but think you might be better off walking across to bmi & seeing what's available straight to BHD...
Old Dec 19, 2006, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Just to lift your spirits further, there's currently freezing fog in LDY with just 275m m visability. This morning's BA rotations operated through Belfast with a bus service. Can't help but think you might be better off walking across to bmi & seeing what's available straight to BHD...
Old Dec 19, 2006, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
Just spoken to an Air Traffic Controller who is about to start his shift at LHR, hes not looking forward to it.

The current forcast looks like this:

EGLL 191030Z 191818 VRB02KT 2000 BR FEW001 BECMG 1820 0200 FZFG BKN000

To Decode:

191030Z Report as of 1030 GMT on the 19th

191818 Valid from 1800 GMT to 1800GMT tomorrow

VRB02KT Wind Variable at 2kta

2000 BR FEW001 Visibility 2000 meters in Mist. Clounds few (not many) at 100ft.

BECMG 1820 0200 FZFG BKN000 Becoming between 1800 and 2000 (will be this at 2000 GMT) 200 Meters in Freezing Fog, clouds broken at zero feet.

So, If your going ANYWHERE today, poor you. I'm not going anywhere till the new year, and I'm glad I didn't book my milage/TP run to AMS for this week as I first planned!
Old Dec 19, 2006, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Current METAR and TAF for EGLL (LHR) is always available at the Great Circle Mapper.

Funnily enough, this is now my primary web-based weather forecast source for local weather here in London.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, standard dumb passenger question. Why, with all the technology available in the air and on the ground is the fog such an issue?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Ok, standard dumb passenger question. Why, with all the technology available in the air and on the ground is the fog such an issue?
The technology has made it possible so that the airports do not have to close down in fog, but it does slow things down considerably because ATC has to increase the time between landings and also takeoffs.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 6:53 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
The biggest issue is runway clearance. In thick fog it is not unknown for aircraft to miss the turnoffs or taxi slower to ensure they don't miss them!! Couple that with the requirement to ensure the integrity of the localiser and glideslope by restricting movements of aircraft and vehicles within a certain disctance of the beams and you get an all round slowing of flow in and out.

Until we can trust technology 100% then there will always be delays during fog.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 7:07 am

As expected this was across some of the continent too, and I'd prepared myself for the worst as the fog was just as bad in AMS last night as it was in LHR this morning.

Nevertheless we landed with NO holding whatsoever (0830) taxiied straight onto stand, and I was in the car park shuttle bus within half an hour. Might stick to KLM if they perform like that all the time, I could get used to an A330 on that route!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.