Wiki Posts
Search

23 Kilos max baggage weight as of 13th Feb

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2006, 2:12 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by ba bob
BA at the moment seems to be the most heavily policy ridden airline I use, and every other week I seem to get another e-mail of enhancement that, or simplified this. Its just utter nonsense.
At least you are getting emails informing of changes. As a non BAEC customer I have had exactly nothing from BA lately. I guess I am supposed to inform myself by regularly perusing their website searching high and low for their changes made since I made the booking but applied retrospectively?
Old Dec 13, 2006, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Priority Club Gold
Whether you like the new policy or not (I don't), there is one absolutely critical piece of advice - which is don't fly BA anywhere in the first two weeks (at least) after this is introduced. Check in is an absolute zoo at the best of times, but when this policy is introduced at least 30% of passengers will have more bags than allowed, and so BA will have to collect a payment (how long is that going to take each time, how will it occur?), and another 30% will have a bag weighing more than 23 kg.

So, there will be rows, people having to repack, people having to pay, etc. Imagine the chaos, especially when there are flights to South Asia going out!

Not worth - fly with someone else for that period at least.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This intersecting with the collection of the extra APD from the 1st Feb is going to make LHR a living hell for quite a while.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 2:26 pm
SLF

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
This intersecting with the collection of the extra APD from the 1st Feb is going to make LHR a living hell for quite a while.
Not to mention two possible strikes (flight crew & cabin crew).
Old Dec 13, 2006, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by SLF
And pax upset when they have to sit all over the aircraft because they don't have a computer to check in online and they can't assign a seat when they've booked months in advance.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 2:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Anyone know what luggage rules will apply on a rtw trip that starts in January, with the first long haul sector being BA LHR SFO and the last sector being SYD LHR in April?

I presume I can start with two checked bags of 32Kg to SFO, which I can then have on all flights until I have a BA codeshare flight from Oz to NZ, when I will have to have a third bag to carry the weight. (I can buy a second cabin bag in the US of course)

The third checked bag will then need to be thrown away for the QF flights that follow. I will then have to get another bag to fly back to UK with three bags of 23Kgs.

Perhaps the codeshare flight doesn't matter, but will I still need three bags on the SYD LHR flight?
Old Dec 13, 2006, 2:48 pm

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Not everyone is going to dislike the change, there are people who gain from it. I like the change. It is making me look at changing my Oz-UK flights from CX to BA. If I travel on CX in F , the allowance is 40Kg which limits how much dive gear I can take with me. Goin on BA, I can take 3*23KG of regular baggge ( already 29Kg more than CXs allowance ) which makes taking all my regular dive gear easy, PLUS, I can take my 31Kg cylinder setup on top of this. 100Kg vs 40Kg allowance... very nice

Dave
Dave

Your circumstances are very unique and there will only be a handful of people on every flight who would be looking to carry 3 x 23kg. Sheena and I normally manage very well with one 32kg bag and a carry-on. Two 23kg bags and a carry on will be a pain in the arse.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DocH
Anyone know what luggage rules will apply on a rtw trip that starts in January, with the first long haul sector being BA LHR SFO and the last sector being SYD LHR in April?

I presume I can start with two checked bags of 32Kg to SFO, which I can then have on all flights until I have a BA codeshare flight from Oz to NZ, when I will have to have a third bag to carry the weight. (I can buy a second cabin bag in the US of course)

The third checked bag will then need to be thrown away for the QF flights that follow. I will then have to get another bag to fly back to UK with three bags of 23Kgs.

Perhaps the codeshare flight doesn't matter, but will I still need three bags on the SYD LHR flight?

Who's on First, What's on Second and I don't know is on Third
Old Dec 13, 2006, 3:02 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by DocH

AFAIK AA only allows free per piece 23kg. You can have up to 32kg in it, but will be charged excess if over 23kg.

Oz-NZ is operated by QF therefore QF rules apply. Ie 2 pieces up to 32kg.

BA SYD-LHR will indeed be 3 @ 23kgs.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
AFAIK AA only allows free per piece 23kg. You can have up to 32kg in it, but will be charged excess if over 23kg.
Perhaps this is no coincidence either.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by rjacket
What's pathetic about this is how they've tried to soften their email announcement by linking it to the terminal 5 news first and how they haven't outlined the most important details at all on the email. They've basically said we've told you and if you didn't go to the website and then click the link and then read through all the details, then it's your fault if you turn up and have to pay £120. We even gave you an option to pay £90 online first, look how nice we are.
The style and tone of the e-mail is a very important point and I wonder whether this e-mail was cleared by BA's legal department.

A passenger who has paid £400 for a WT flight to JFK could find themselves paying almost a third of the original ticket price in excess baggage charges as a result of the new policy. This is, by anyone's standards, a very onerous condition of BA's policy.

Whilst the e-mail refers to excess charges and provides a link to the new policy, it does not make it clear just how much the additional cost could be to the passenger. I don't think a reasonable passenger would expect to have to pay an additional £120 for exceeding the 23kg limit by a few kgs. A reasonable passenger may read the e-mail and simply think "OK fine. I may or may not go over the 23kg limit. If I do, then I could live with a small charge."

Given how, for the majority of passengers, the new policy could result in a substantial increase in the cost of their flights, there is the question of whether the e-mail should, to use the phrase adopted by the courts, have "a big red flag" to make it explicit to passengers what the consequences of the new policy are. Indeed, the e-mail actually tries to play down the impact of excess baggage charges to passengers.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I will write tomorrow to BA on this.

As said before when we had the earlier thread, when travelling with a family the higher single bag limit is essential as I just don't have enough hands to wheel 2 bags and hold a small child's hand. It's a fact and therefore BA physically won't be an option.

This is almost certainly the final straw for longhaul on BA with me when combined with the other asinine changes imposed in the last few weeks.

I will have 4 VS UC longhaul flights under my belt by end Feb 07 so will have Gold with them and cannot see any way I would any longer choose BA on longhaul wherever I have a choice. VS has always been a real pleasure each time I have flown with them - they appear genuinely pleased to provide a service to me and from anecdotal evidence from my colleagues appear to be able to flex some rules for their Gold Card holders.

I used to be so proud to be a BA Gold Card holder. Now I just think they are taking the p***.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by SLF
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
And pax upset when they have to sit all over the aircraft because they don't have a computer to check in online and they can't assign a seat when they've booked months in advance.

Need we say any more? I'll have a drink in the VS clubhouse thinking about all these changes when I fly out to DEL on VS on the 27th.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Gaza
Dave

Your circumstances are very unique and there will only be a handful of people on every flight who would be looking to carry 3 x 23kg. Sheena and I normally manage very well with one 32kg bag and a carry-on. Two 23kg bags and a carry on will be a pain in the arse.
Yes, I think most people would agree with that and infact many people would prefer 1 at 32 than 2 at 23.

When will BA (and other companies) learn that CONSUMERS WANT CHOICE!?!?!?
Old Dec 13, 2006, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
And when is half-term again?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.