FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Ordeal getting CX miles to post (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/634516-ordeal-getting-cx-miles-post.html)

rabbitman Dec 11, 2006 2:42 am

Ordeal getting CX miles to post

I haven't posted on here for a while, but am looking forward to becoming a bit more active now..

I took a Business class OneWorld RTW in August, with a SIN-LAX leg on CX, via HKG which I took with a colleague.

The miles and TP did not post and I was therefore advised to fax copies of boarding passes and ticket number to BA. This I did only to have the SIN-HKG leg rejected after about 18 days, reason given “flight not found”.

I contacted missing mileage and spoke to a helpful employee, who asked for some more details and re submitted the claim. It was rejected again after a month.

This time the same employee took more details, including full itinerary, another copy of the boarding passes and also the EC number of my colleague, who was credited with miles for the same flight on the same day.

This was rejected again last week, apparently on the grounds that that flight was a CX subsidiary (SIN-HKG, CX710?, when a colleague got credited?)

Spoke to employee who seemed powerless to do anything but re submit claims to CX. So she put me through to a supervisor.

All the supervisor could offer was another resubmission, and held firm that I could not get my miles without CX’s agreement.

I very nicely pointed out that at this stage I really was not that interested in claims being resubmitted again, nor being exposed to the airlines inner workings. I have paid for my ticket, traveled on a partner airline, followed the process for reclaiming miles, twice, and now wanted my miles after 4 months.

At this point the supervisor became rather rude and arrogant, and started launching into terms and conditions. I did not take too kindly to his. All I wanted was to get my miles and TPs having followed the process to the letter. It is clear within BA’s power to award whatever miles and points they like to members.

However this made her get even ruder. In summary her stance was:

1) Issuing miles for partners’ flights was not BA’s prerogative. They were “doing me a favour” by following on this query.
2) Quoting terms and conditions at me instead of serving the customer “was perfectly acceptable”.
3) That OneWorld “was not a partnership for mileage, but only for bookings. Mileage is an added bonus when available”.
4) She would not offer any timetable for resolution.

Without rambling further I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on:
a) How to get my miles and TPs
b) The supervisor’s view that OneWorld is “not for mileage”

I am astonished that an issue that could be resolved so simply is instead starting to alienate a customer that is spending increasing amounts on premium travel with BA.

All help and thoughts are appreciated.

Phil the Flyer Dec 11, 2006 2:47 am

Originally Posted by rabbitman (Post 6827233)
I took a Business class OneWorld RTW in August, with a SIN-LAX leg on CX, via HKG which I took with a colleague.

The miles and TP did not post

Can't help you specifically, but you're fast putting me off using CX for a family business class trip ex-DXB to South East Asia next summer; the carrier largely chosen for the purpose of earning TPs. I'm glad I also keep status going with Star Alliance and Sky Team.

bensyd Dec 11, 2006 3:06 am

Originally Posted by rabbitman (Post 6827233)
I haven't posted on here for a while, but am looking forward to becoming a bit more active now..

The miles and TP did not post and I was therefore advised to fax copies of boarding passes and ticket number to BA. This I did only to have the SIN-HKG leg rejected after about 18 days, reason given “flight not found”.

I contacted missing mileage and spoke to a helpful employee, who asked for some more details and re submitted the claim. It was rejected again after a month.

This time the same employee took more details, including full itinerary, another copy of the boarding passes and also the EC number of my colleague, who was credited with miles for the same flight on the same day.

This was rejected again last week, apparently on the grounds that that flight was a CX subsidiary (SIN-HKG, CX710?, when a colleague got credited?)

Spoke to employee who seemed powerless to do anything but re submit claims to CX. So she put me through to a supervisor.

All the supervisor could offer was another resubmission, and held firm that I could not get my miles without CX’s agreement.

I very nicely pointed out that at this stage I really was not that interested in claims being resubmitted again, nor being exposed to the airlines inner workings. I have paid for my ticket, traveled on a partner airline, followed the process for reclaiming miles, twice, and now wanted my miles after 4 months.

At this point the supervisor became rather rude and arrogant, and started launching into terms and conditions. I did not take too kindly to his. All I wanted was to get my miles and TPs having followed the process to the letter. It is clear within BA’s power to award whatever miles and points they like to members.

However this made her get even ruder. In summary her stance was:

1) Issuing miles for partners’ flights was not BA’s prerogative. They were “doing me a favour” by following on this query.
2) Quoting terms and conditions at me instead of serving the customer “was perfectly acceptable”.
3) That OneWorld “was not a partnership for mileage, but only for bookings. Mileage is an added bonus when available”.
4) She would not offer any timetable for resolution.

Without rambling further I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on:
a) How to get my miles and TPs
b) The supervisor’s view that OneWorld is “not for mileage”

I am astonished that an issue that could be resolved so simply is instead starting to alienate a customer that is spending increasing amounts on premium travel with BA.

All help and thoughts are appreciated.

This does sound very un CX like. Although I post to QF not BA my CX flights are always there within 3-4 days.

The attitude of whoever you spoke to down at BA is pathetic. I would ask them to point you to the section in the t&c's that says BA is doing you a favour by posting miles. What garbage.

bensyd Dec 11, 2006 3:11 am

oh and Oneworld not being for mileage???

Originally Posted by OneWorld.com
You will earn miles in your own programme whenever you travel on eligible flights and fares of any oneworld alliance airline. Qualifying flights will also count towards advancing or maintaining your tier status. And, when you are ready to redeem your miles, you can do so across the alliance's combined 600-destination worldwide network.

Members of each oneworld alliance airline are able to earn and redeem miles with their airline partners - so when you're ready to redeem your miles or points for a travel award, oneworld brings you more options than ever.

rabbitman Dec 11, 2006 3:14 am

Originally Posted by bensyd (Post 6827286)
oh and Oneworld not being for mileage???

I think UK Trading Standards would be interested in that one....

Dr Dave Dec 11, 2006 7:29 am

This sounds familiar. I was booked on a full fare Y with CX from KUL to HKG in August. I arrived at the gate, to be told that the flight was overbooked. They asked if I could take a later flight - the deal was that I would be upgraded to J, and given a hotel for the 4 hour wait. As I was not in a hurry this was OK.

For my later flight I was given a J class BP with a CX flight number, but the flight was operated by Malaysian. The miles didn't post. I chased this up repeatedly, but was told by both BA and CX that my ticket was not traceable. Eventually I admitted defeat.

I remain somewhat miffed about this. My booking was with CX on a tier point eligible flight. I accepted being bumped without compensation. I flew on a CX flight number, but still got nothing. Not impressed.

Swanhunter Dec 11, 2006 7:59 am

The problem is partly with CX as about 10% of my flights just don't post. But, I've never had a problem with posting to AA so it is also something in BA's control.

The people at Sunbury who deal with missing miles are of variable quality. I had one numpty tell me that OW flights over 2000 miles still only earnt 60 points in F. Oh, and that as it was only a two class plane i should only be earning J Tier Points! However there are others that are pretty good. As ever, apply the FT rule of call again if you don't like the answer. You could also consider a letter with all the details to what'shername who runs the EC.

Captain Schmidt Dec 11, 2006 8:07 am

Mrs Schmidt had a huge ordeal trying to get a J-class LHR-HKG flight to post to her account earlier this year. CX rejected it three times despite her having the e-ticket receipt and the boarding pass with her BAEC number clearly showing. It eventually transpired that CX didn't like the fact that she had used the diminutive of her first name for her BAEC account which didn't match with the full first name in her passport and thus on the ticket. To get it fixed she had to have the name on her EC account changed to her full first name and on the fourth attempt CX eventually agreed on the miles and more importantly the 120 TP. Quite pathetic really from what is otherwise an excellent airline.

rabbitman Dec 17, 2006 12:26 pm

Was ready to send out my letter to BAEC last night, complaining about the lack of miles as well as the attitude of the supervisor. Checked my account. And the miles had posted.:rolleyes:

Now in two minds as to whther to spend the time modifying the letter to just complain about the supervisor. I don't reallly like writing letters that are only a complaint rather than having a point. But I would like them to know what their staff are telling people and seem to think.

imarks Dec 17, 2006 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by rabbitman (Post 6862796)
Was ready to send out my letter to BAEC last night, complaining about the lack of miles as well as the attitude of the supervisor. Checked my account. And the miles had posted.:rolleyes:

Now in two minds as to whther to spend the time modifying the letter to just complain about the supervisor. I don't reallly like writing letters that are only a complaint rather than having a point. But I would like them to know what their staff are telling people and seem to think.

Excellent news that the miles finally posted, but what a hassle getting them :eek:

I flew CX earlier this month (MEL-HKG) and got my miles, cabin bonus and tier points but no tier bonus on the miles. I can't really be bothered claiming the miles though, especially after what you've just been through.

Moomba Dec 17, 2006 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by imarks (Post 6862891)
I flew CX earlier this month (MEL-HKG) and got my miles, cabin bonus and tier points but no tier bonus on the miles. I can't really be bothered claiming the miles though, especially after what you've just been through.

You only get tier bonus on BA and QF flights.

FWIW I am in the same boat as Swanhunter where I have never had any problem getting my CX miles to post to my AA account (with status bonus that AA give to ALL OW operated flights ;) )

studio76 Dec 17, 2006 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Moomba (Post 6862907)
I have never had any problem getting my CX miles to post to my AA account (with status bonus that AA give to ALL OW operated flights ;) )

Indeed, same here as well.^

Some of you may be interested in this thread on the Cathay Forum as even MPC members have been having some issues posting properly:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614540

San Diego Flyer Dec 17, 2006 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter (Post 6828037)
The problem is partly with CX as about 10% of my flights just don't post. But, I've never had a problem with posting to AA so it is also something in BA's control.

The people at Sunbury who deal with missing miles are of variable quality. I had one numpty tell me that OW flights over 2000 miles still only earnt 60 points in F. Oh, and that as it was only a two class plane i should only be earning J Tier Points! However there are others that are pretty good. As ever, apply the FT rule of call again if you don't like the answer. You could also consider a letter with all the details to what'shername who runs the EC.

Based on the discussions on this tread, I am discouraged about the prospect of trying to get BA to post TP on recent first class AA flights. BA posts the flights, but only at 25% of miles flown and with no TP. Most recently a booked first class A ticket that the web site says is good for TP but they do not post.

If you use the miles calculator on BA's web site and enter a flight over 2000 miles on another airline (such as LAX to JFK on AA) in first, it gives the result as 180 TP, not 60.