Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can I take a cake slice in my hand baggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2006, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Is a cake slice a knife or not? I don't thinkso, it's a triangular shaped thingey with a handle attached. It's not in the slightest bit sharp.

http://www.baa.co.uk/assets/B2CPorta..._CantDec06.pdf

According to the hand baggage rules, sharp knives are banned. Well it's not a knife and it's not sharp.

But then there's also a rule saying that large items of cutlery are banned, but small ones are permitted. Is a cake slice an item of cutlery? Even if it is, is it a large one? I suppose it may be, but there's no definition of large, except that tablespoons are banned, yet teaspoons are permitted. Is there a plot to take over aircraft using tablespoons? Or cakes clices?

Any ideas?
Old Dec 10, 2006, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver, FI, AC
Cake slices are sold in John Lewis as cutlery, so I suspect you'd have it taken away - or at least get a tiresome lecture.

I keep some Lexan cutlery in my carryon bag, for late night snack attacks , and have been called on the fork and knife twice at LHR and once at YVR. Only minimal satisfaction attained by thinking 'fork you' as the lecture ensues....
Old Dec 10, 2006, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

For a moment from the title I thought you were referring to a slice of cake!

And I would have responded,

no BAA security would have taken it for their snack!!

[Hat and coat on]

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 10, 2006, 3:18 pm

You'll be lucky. I can't even take a large spoon through. No doubt that has foiled a major terror plot, large spoons are a well know tool used in taking out jumbos!! As for cake slicers, a weapon of mass destruction in my book
Old Dec 10, 2006, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA, UA
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Is a cake slice a knife or not?
Begs the question.. why?! WIll a plastic one not suffice? And what kind of cakes have you been eating to start such threads?
Old Dec 10, 2006, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by adrianjc32
I can't even take a large spoon through.....
And why the spoon too? Not to stir trouble I hope!
Old Dec 10, 2006, 3:28 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Whilst we're on the subject of cake slices, is it true that marzipan possesses similar (but benign) consistencies to semtex? If so, is Battenburg on the banned list?
Old Dec 10, 2006, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
Whilst we're on the subject of cake slices, is it true that marzipan possesses similar (but benign) consistencies to semtex? If so, is Battenburg on the banned list?
Funny what a search brings up .. marzipan + semtex + google..
Old Dec 10, 2006, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
And why the spoon too? Not to stir trouble I hope!
Moi?
Old Dec 10, 2006, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris18london
Begs the question.. why?!
Oh, just a silly Christmas present. Mrs S decided to buy a Royal Doulton cake plate with matching cake slice, for me to take out on my next flight. That was before I warned that a cake slice might be banned. I suppose if a tablespoon is a threat to aircraft security, then a cake slice probably is too.

I note that musical instruments are permitted. Can I say it is a musical cake slice, by any chance?
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:13 am

I note that musical instruments are permitted. Can I say it is a musical cake slice, by any chance?
Get a hard case for it, make sure there are no other liquids in the case, and provided it fits in the overhead locker or you have seperate seat booked for it, you should be fine.

Could you post it to wherever you're going?
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:20 am

Oh, just a silly Christmas present. Mrs S decided to buy a Royal Doulton cake plate with matching cake slice, for me to take out on my next flight.
I go back to chris18london's original question: why? Why does Mrs S feel that you need to use them on your next flight? Why is it unacceptable to place the slice in your checked luggage? (Just curious, that's all. )
Old Dec 11, 2006, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jjpb3
I go back to chris18london's original question: why? Why does Mrs S feel that you need to use them on your next flight? Why is it unacceptable to place the slice in your checked luggage? (Just curious, that's all. )

No I don't need to slice any cake during my flight. It is just a gift to deliver the other end, and I would rather travel with hand luggage only.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 2:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others

The Average White Band once had a song called 'Cut the Cake', if this helps.

Some of the lyrics (obviously written with VC10 Boy in mind) are as follows:

give me a little piece, let me lick up the cream
well, just a little piece, baby you know what I mean
give me a little piece, a little lovin' on the side
I need a little piece, just to keep me satisfied

Sing that at security and they'll let you through with it!
Old Dec 11, 2006, 2:44 am

Programs: BA
I would rather travel with hand luggage only.
Cheapskate. You just don't want to pay the £5 checked baggage fee on your return with Ryanair!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.