Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

AMEX 241 One passenger originates in MAN other originates in LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, BMI Blue+

So, I booked the AMEX 241 in BA F for South Africa many moons ago, flying LHR - JNB on BA0057 (last flight of the day to South Africa) later this month.

However, I now find myself working in Chester (rather than London) that day, whereas Mrs JonWB is working in London. So, I was planning on getting a 'Business UK' ticket on BA MAN-LHR to connect to LHR-JNB (thankfully same terminal).

My question is what the happens if I'm delayed and misconnect. I'm assuming BA will cover me as I'm BA to BA on the connection.

Will Mrs JonWB have to go on BA0057 and wait a day later for me even though this breaks the T&C's on the ticket?

Will she even be allowed to checkin separately?

Has anyone tried this on an AMEX 241?

Any advice?
Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:59 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Not sure about this one, since you will be on two separte PNRs. I know you can 'link' two PNRs for when people are on the SAME flight but not sure what BA do for a connecting flight. How long is your connection?

In theory BA should sort you out but you may want to call the Exec Club for advice.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
One 2 separate tickets, BA have no obligation to do anything for you if you miss your LHR-JNB, even if it's due to a BA flight MAN-LHR having issues. You may hope they'd be somehow sympathetic, etc. but strictly speaking, they don't have to do anything. Can't you work in London that day? Or take another day off? Either that or get a very, very generous connection would be my advice. I wouldn't like to risk it personally.

(I guess you could try and rebook the 2:1 MAN-LHR-JNB-LHR-MAN for the same miles if there's award space on the Domestics, but then your wife has the problem of getting up to MAN instead).
Old Dec 10, 2006, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Same issue with my 241 as my free ticket is originating in London and I'm originating in MAN - I did toy with trying to force him to come up to MAN, but I've ended started in London, and am buying a connection - but I am travelling down the night before, just in case, since my understanding is that you'd have no protection under BA since on two different PNRs - your travel insurance may apply though, as you do get some coverage for public transport.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 12:46 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Jon, I've been forced to into this situation before. There's really little to it. In my case, I travelled from EDI-LHR, met up with my travel companion for dinner in London and we both flew out the following morning. Once at LHR, companion checked in baggage - mine was through checked the night before and that was it. We went on our way.

I deliberately chose the break my journey with an overnight in London, not so much through concern for my own connection. In practice, BA is very good at sorting out misconnects even when it involves separate bookings - I just felt a little added responsibility to my companion.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 4:02 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Just one thought, why are you buying a business uk ticket? Surely a cheapo would do the job as you're not likeley to change the dates.
Its your money of course.

Chris
Old Dec 10, 2006, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by highpeaklad
Just one thought, why are you buying a business uk ticket? Surely a cheapo would do the job as you're not likeley to change the dates.
Its your money of course.

Chris
Changing the dates is unlikely, changing the flights absolutely if I can get an earlier flight from MAN-LHR on the same day... It isn't my money it is for work, and in this instance the the potential ability to get an earlier flight on the same day is important (or potentially get on a later flight if the earlier flight is delayed)....
Old Dec 20, 2006, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

As if to prove a point, I fly BA Longhaul tomorrow evening....

So full refund on the business UK ticket and I've driven down to Surrey from Chester this evening to work from home tomorrow.

It's disgraceful of BA to cut off all domestic connections and tell people to get themselves to LHR by their own means if they have a connecting flight.

Even the train companies provide replacement bus services when they have problems. OK so a coach from MAN to LHR isn't ideal, but really just abandoning passengers like that is typical of BA these days. Why can't they get some replacement coaches in operation and provide this 'full service' they say they do, at least from MAN.

As for the other stations (e.g. EDI, GLA etc), why haven't they secured space in first class on the train services (for what is left) and got some staff to the train stations to help.

Not everyone will have immediate access Ł200 for the standard open return on the very crowded trains and the national express coaches might be fully booked already.

BA will have problems at LHR, that much everyone knows. It is being used at over capacity. So why not have some contingency plans to help the customers.

Anyone would think it was London Airways

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.