FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   trouble with putting one world status on BA booking (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/634170-trouble-putting-one-world-status-ba-booking.html)

marbles dad Dec 9, 2006 9:13 pm

trouble with putting one world status on BA booking

I'm currently BA silver but will tumble back into blue for awhile in 2007. but lifetime Platinum on AA. My partner is BA silver and will be for a much longer part of next year during which time we will be flying together on several trips on bA, some of them mFU's some of them redemptions.
my question is this:
how can I show what my oneworld status is on my BA booking - my ba account won't let me as it just recognizes me as a lowly blue on bA. We recently flew on a AA redemption in F from cDG-lhr- yVR in F . i called bA in CDG to try and insert my AA number into my reservation but the agent acted as though i was trying to cheat and obtain miles for the "free" ticket. - she kept repeating the word "free" at least 20 times during the conversation. i set her straight that it was a "reward" ticket earned through flying and spending thousands of dollars, so it wasn't "free". Still she refused to enter my AA number.
the reason I would like to do this is just for recognition. in case of events such as irregular ops, inflight service issues, and just to ensure good service.
Is this reasonable? is there a way to actually get one world status on your bA booking . There is on all other one world airlines.

Swanhunter Dec 9, 2006 10:28 pm

No, it's not reasonable. Where is your account based? Call that service centre, explain that you would like to add your AA Plat to the account for the reasons you state. Having a Silver on the same booking should protect you in the event of irregular ops but given the way the new seating policy has been formulated I am now slightly less sure.

marbles dad Dec 10, 2006 12:52 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter (Post 6822408)
No, it's not reasonable. Where is your account based? Call that service centre, explain that you would like to add your AA Plat to the account for the reasons you state. Having a Silver on the same booking should protect you in the event of irregular ops but given the way the new seating policy has been formulated I am now slightly less sure.

What about this scenario... now hold your tongue until I'm finished, swan,...
both of us are bA blues on an award ticket in BA F from lAX- lHR and back obtained from a north american AA account from which both of us are AA platinums. this scenario probably will happen late in 2007. shall we dutifully call up BA and try to get our oneworld status duly noted ?.Should we expect to be treated with anything but scorn and derision???

Swanhunter Dec 10, 2006 1:12 am

Originally Posted by marbles dad (Post 6822694)
What about this scenario... now hold your tongue until I'm finished, swan,...
both of us are bA blues on an award ticket in BA F from lAX- lHR and back obtained from a north american AA account from which both of us are AA platinums. this scenario probably will happen late in 2007. shall we dutifully call up BA and try to get our oneworld status duly noted ?.Should we expect to be treated with anything but scorn and derision???

You shouldn't expect to, but it might well happen! Alternativly, could you try your local BA office (if convenient) or calling the UK? From reports on here, our friends in the NAEC office aren't always that helpful.

BTW, when I said it is 'not reasonable' in my post above I was refering to BA's attitude not your request. :)

bealine Dec 10, 2006 5:34 am

Two things spring to mind here:

1. You do not earn mileage on award tickets (the airline is not going to award mileage on mileage) so no Frequent Flyer cards will be accepted. Indeed, the computer system inhibits the entering of Frequent Flyer details.

2. That having been said, there is a field for entering "FQTV EMERALD" as a General Airport comment which would ensure your status is upheld in the event of flight cancellations or other mishaps.

3. BA, as a company, recognises the importance of the repeat One World business. However, the operational staff and crew see redemption as "freebies" and, whilst our own BA Executive Club makes a free trip or a mileage up*grade as the pinnacle of achievement, US carriers in particular "queered the pitch" by diluting the value. Indeed, Another Airline was offering Platinum Status and high mileage anonymously on ebay to generate some cashflow after 09/11/02. We all got a bit cheesed off watching America West pax flying First Class (worth £8000 a do!) return from Phoenix to London for nothing - and then BA didn't get anything even approaching the Economy fare in return! Even now, quite a few of my colleagues still view mileage awards as "freeloading" - especially when the mileage has been generated on carriers away from Auntie BA!

millionmiler Dec 10, 2006 7:10 am

Originally Posted by bealine (Post 6823098)
Even now, quite a few of my colleagues still view mileage awards as "freeloading" - especially when the mileage has been generated on carriers away from Auntie BA!

I appreciate your honesty. THis statement says a lot about your fellow colleagues.

virtualtroy Dec 10, 2006 9:47 am

1. You do not earn mileage on award tickets (the airline is not going to award mileage on mileage) so no Frequent Flyer cards will be accepted. Indeed, the computer system inhibits the entering of Frequent Flyer details.

Not totally accurate. While it may be non mileage-earning I have as a BA Blue, but also a QF Platinum (OW Emerald) been able to ask BA reservations to add the latter to any BA award booking, simply by calling up with the request. First rule of BA call centres (or any come to think of it), if you don't get what you want when you first call, hang up and speak to another agent.

Furthermore, when calling if you point out to the agent that you're aware that this is a non-mileage-earning ticket, but you would like your AA # entered to access preferential seating, it should work a treat.

JonWB Dec 10, 2006 10:41 am

Originally Posted by virtualtroy (Post 6823788)
Furthermore, when calling if you point out to the agent that you're aware that this is a non-mileage-earning ticket, but you would like your AA # entered to access preferential seating, it should work a treat.

Although according to the new BA seating thread, status on other oneworld carriers mean nothing now when it comes to preferential seating. Although in this case, the cus service reps probably don't know so it should work.

TREKSTER1006 Dec 10, 2006 11:39 am

Just call, and ask the agent if they can put your aa freq flyer number in the booking. Very easy to do, and dount very much you will be met with scorn. I do it a few times, not in a while, but have done it before and always polite

virtualtroy Dec 10, 2006 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by JonWB (Post 6824004)
Although according to the new BA seating thread, status on other oneworld carriers mean nothing now when it comes to preferential seating. Although in this case, the cus service reps probably don't know so it should work.

IME the issue has been resolved for all non-BA Emeralds on long haul routes, hopefully a fix for short haul in due course.

Dave Noble Dec 10, 2006 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by marbles dad
is there a way to actually get one world status on your bA booking . There is on all other one world airlines.

Can't you go to BA's Manage My Booking and just add it yourself?

Dave

marbles dad Dec 10, 2006 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 6824438)
Can't you go to BA's Manage My Booking and just add it yourself

in a word, no
you can do nothng to change your FF number in your BA booking in mMB.prove me wrong, someone.
Dave

marbles dad Dec 10, 2006 2:55 pm

Two things spring to mind here:

2. That having been said, there is a field for entering "FQTV EMERALD" as a General Airport comment which would ensure your status is upheld in the event of flight cancellations or other mishaps.

3. BA, as a company, recognises the importance of the repeat One World business. However, the operational staff and crew see redemption as "freebies" and, whilst our own BA Executive Club makes a free trip or a mileage up*grade as the pinnacle of achievement, US carriers in particular "queered the pitch" by diluting the value. Indeed, Another Airline was offering Platinum Status and high mileage anonymously on ebay to generate some cashflow after 09/11/02. We all got a bit cheesed off watching America West pax flying First Class (worth £8000 a do!) return from Phoenix to London for nothing - and then BA didn't get anything even approaching the Economy fare in return! Even now, quite a few of my colleagues still view mileage awards as "freeloading" - especially when the mileage has been generated on carriers away from Auntie BA!

warning: rant about to start !!!!!!!
That is a deal BA made and I'm sure they did it for a reason. i'm sure LH would love to hAve AA as a partner if BA wants to bail out and objects to giving their wonderful first class tickets out for'free". you're sounding like the bA agent in france i contacted who kept endlessly referring to my ticket as a free ticket , and I kept endlessly correcting her to call it an "award" ticket,- i'VE SPENT THOUSAND OF DOLLARS ON BOTH ba AND aa TO MAKE THESE AWARD TICKETS HAPPEN . To get surly cabin service in return or even intimate that there is such is certainly a slap in the face to everyone on this board. tEll your cabin mates to find another job whose skills suit them better.
Rant over.

Dave Noble Dec 10, 2006 3:08 pm

If there is currently an FF number in the booking you cannot change it. Just phone and ask them to take out the FF number that is in the booking and then add the desired one using MMB

Dave

Captain Schmidt Dec 10, 2006 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by marbles dad (Post 6824925)
warning: rant about to start !!!!!!!
That is a deal BA made and I'm sure they did it for a reason. i'm sure LH would love to hAve AA as a partner if BA wants to bail out and objects to giving their wonderful first class tickets out for'free". you're sounding like the bA agent in france i contacted who kept endlessly referring to my ticket as a free ticket , and I kept endlessly correcting her to call it an "award" ticket,- i'VE SPENT THOUSAND OF DOLLARS ON BOTH ba AND aa TO MAKE THESE AWARD TICKETS HAPPEN . To get surly cabin service in return or even intimate that there is such is certainly a slap in the face to everyone on this board. tEll your cabin mates to find another job whose skills suit them better.
Rant over.

^ ^ ^