Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

trouble with putting one world status on BA booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

trouble with putting one world status on BA booking

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2006, 1:46 am

Hey - don't shoot the messenger!

I'm just pointing out the reasons why BA staff feel the way they do about "awards" and "redemptions".

Now, I know how this frequent flyer business works and, through making some good friends on this forum, I also understand how One World awards convert into cash for BA. However, many of my colleagues don't and still percieve the "award" as a freebie - especially as our business travellers seldom use an award ticket on business - it's nearly always on holiday when they turn up with the entire family on separate bookings which causes a nightmare for the ground staff!

Standing where I do, I can understand very clearly both viewpoints!

The problem lies in the fact that British airways has never clearly indicated to the customer-facing staff how cash is generated from award tickets or the value of Frequent Flyer business!
Old Dec 11, 2006, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bealine
many of my colleagues don't and still percieve the "award" as a freebie - especially as our business travellers seldom use an award ticket on business - it's nearly always on holiday when they turn up with the entire family on separate bookings which causes a nightmare for the ground staff!
And why might that be?

Because they weren't able to pre-assign seats together?

And why might that be?

Because of the seating policy?

Or why else might that be?

Because the seat shifters moved in and scattered the family travelling in F or J on "freebies" around the cabin.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:07 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by bealine
The problem lies in the fact that British airways has never clearly indicated to the customer-facing staff how cash is generated from award tickets or the value of Frequent Flyer business!
Quite. I suspect there are quite a few revenue-generating aspects of the business which BA doesn't expose its customer-facing staff to, in the interests of keeping wages down.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aa lifetime platinum
The issue of upgraded tickets and award tickets in premium cabins and whether or not there is any discriminatory attitude on the part of the cabin crew has been a frequent topic on many of these forums , and now finally the cat is out of the bag, at least on BA. And we didn't have to coax very much to find out. IMO, an attitude like this should be reported to management by any crewmember with any bit of sense. In fact, i intend to ask the CSD next time i'm in first or nCW on an upgrade or an award ticket if there is any problem with any of the cabin crew giving me the appropriate service since I'm on an award ticket, and I have heard rumors BA cabin crew dont care to have award travellers in their caBIN particularly from airlines other than BA.
I am not understanding the 'two points of view" about this. this is customer service ,pure and simple.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by marbles dad
The issue of upgraded tickets and award tickets in premium cabins and whether or not there is any discriminatory attitude on the part of the cabin crew has been a frequent topic on many of these forums , and now finally the cat is out of the bag, at least on BA. And we didn't have to coax very much to find out. IMO, an attitude like this should be reported to management by any crewmember with any bit of sense. In fact, i intend to ask the CSD next time i'm in first or nCW on an upgrade or an award ticket if there is any problem with any of the cabin crew giving me the appropriate service since I'm on an award ticket, and I have heard rumors BA cabin crew dont care to have award travellers in their caBIN particularly from airlines other than BA.
I am not understanding the 'two points of view" about this. this is customer service ,pure and simple.
However, as has been discussed at length on other threads i am not aware of anyone reporting inferior treatment onboard when on an award. IIRC, the crew have no way of knowing who the award is through.

You - rightly - are complaining about not being able to get your AA number in the res, but to blow this up to cover all of BA is a bit unfair.

Have you tried calling again to see if someone will change it for you?
Old Dec 11, 2006, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
No, it's not reasonable. Where is your account based? Call that service centre, explain that you would like to add your AA Plat to the account for the reasons you state. Having a Silver on the same booking should protect you in the event of irregular ops but given the way the new seating policy has been formulated I am now slightly less sure.
I think it is perfectly reasonable to have one's status on another OW airline recognized on BA, even if one holds a BA card. If anything, it only proves that one is loyal to the OW alliance -- I can't imagine someone without an EC membership would hesitate to put his AA, QF, etc. card # in on a BA flight. Is an AA+BA ff inferior to an AA only ff?

I personally find the lack of intra-OW (particularly BA-AA) account recognition frustrating. For the last year I was an AA plat flying BA almost exclusively on fully flexible tickets from MOW-LHR, yet almost never was able to get my AA # w/ status to be printed on the boarding pass. The result was rude interrogations at BA lounges for trying to get in as a non-elite when flying Y out of T1. (I find the need to show a card to enter lounges ridiculous for those of us that have to live in 3rd world countries -- I don't think I've actually ever received an elite card in the mail in the last 5 years from ANY airline, and yes, I did earn the status). Incidentally, the DME non-BA staff (provided by Istlain, I believe) manning the BA lounge entrance were infinetly more polite and helpful in verifying my OW elite status than BA staff at LHR.

Marbles, as another poster suggested, unfortunately with OW, the best policy is that if at first one does not succeed, try, try, again...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.