Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Laptop Power in Club World....Connector?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2006, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Laptop Power in Club World....Connector?

Flying LAX>HAM in CW in a week and half...What plug in connector do I need? US, EU or British? Thanks!
Old Dec 9, 2006, 4:43 pm

Go to longhaul on the, ummm High life shop via BA.COM and you will see the connector type there, It can be purchased on board. All the info is there.

(info below)

Currently we have two systems providing power 'at seat'.

The first is a DC based system. The system provides +15VDC and is capable of delivering 75 Watts of power via a hypertronics connector mounted at the seat.
The DC system is being installed on our longhaul fleet and is available on the flat bed First Class seat, on the flat bed Club World seat and on the World Traveller Plus seat.

For information, our entire fleet of Boeing 747 aircraft (Jumbo Jets) have been installed, and all of our Boeing 777 aircraft installed.
Installation on our fleet of 767 longhaul aircraft started in January 2005 and is due for completion by end 2006.

To use the DC system, there are a number of adaptors available commercially that come supplied with the correct connector for the seat.

The adaptor BA recommends, and one that has been tested for use on board aircraft, is the new DC to 110 VAC Inverter made by Teleadapt. British Airways sells this model on board in the 'High Life Shop!' (formerly the Shopping the World catalogue), under Longhaul routes.

http://www.bagiftshop.com/cgi-bin/st...t/View/4013IFA

Thats the link to the adaptor
Old Dec 9, 2006, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
The DC power system is the standard emPower connector, that is used on most airlines. All the 777s, 747s and longhaul 767s have this in WTP, J and F (where it exists!)
Old Dec 9, 2006, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I use the iGO power supply (Juice 75; Igo everywhere 130). www.igo.com
The connection required is the emPower plug, as mentioned above.
Unfortunatley BA does not offer standard US/Europe outlets, like other airlines (LX,LH, etc). There are also compatible chargers from targus and kensington.

Hope you find what you need before the flight as the BA system offered onboard is highly overpriced for what you get. I think BA F pax can use one of these free of charge. If noone in F is using it, perhaps the crew will let you use it in CW !?
Old Dec 9, 2006, 6:15 pm

Programs: BA
NB there will be no inflight power available on your LON-HAM sector.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir?
NB there will be no inflight power available on your LON-HAM sector.
I was going to agree - but aren't there power connectors on some of the new shorthaul Airbus a/c? 319s maybe? I remember something being mentioned on this in the past. If they do exist they are European-style AC connections...
Old Dec 9, 2006, 7:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AF Silver
On my LHR-HKG flight on Friday, there were a grand total of 2 adaptors on board - both in F, and both being used. So I went to sleep instead
Old Dec 9, 2006, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The thread below should give you some more ideas. I am very, very happy with the Kensington set I bought.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...hlight=adaptor

IIRC it is some of the later A320/A321's that have power. I've never actually seen the sockets and frankly for all but the longest Euro routes it isn't that important.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 12:42 am
SLF

Programs: Various
ISTR that NGCW will have 110v AC sockets instead of Empower, so if you're lucky enough to be on the one plane so far fitted with this then your investment in Empower will be pointless
Old Dec 10, 2006, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I picked up the Targus one (APD10US) on Ebay for $30.00. Should fit the bill nicely.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA 3MM
You may be disappointed... I have a Targus adapter that works great with my HP laptop on AA flights, yet even though it also has an Empower adapter, it wouldn't work with the BA power... the only that worked is the (bulky) Teleadapt inverter.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 3:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Swanhunter;
IIRC it is some of the later A320/A321's that have power. I've never actually seen the sockets and frankly for all but the longest Euro routes it isn't that important.
Surely that depends how fast one can type?

You'd be surprised what I can do in a hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.