Wiki Posts
Search

Get to LHR Early today (Dec 9)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2006, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
When I went to Cape Town last week on SAA, I got a pass for the SAA Fast Track line in T1. Now THIS is a proper fast track line. It is ONLY for SAA premium passengers (150 per day max?!) and when I used it I was the only person there. The machine stands idle and staffed for most of the time, it seems!

So, how come SAA gets its own dedicated Fast Track line and BA doesn't? Could it, ever so possibly, be that BA doesn't value its premium pax enough to pay for one?
Old Dec 12, 2006, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Why anyone should make a rational choice to transit thorugh LHR if LGW was available I cannot fathom.
I transited through LGW two weeks ago and it took an hour and twenty minutes to get through the North Terminal transit security line. It was taking an average of 1 minute per passenger to clear. I was arriving on a BA flight from ATL that arrived at 8am. Just 80 people in line but it took 1:20! (I counted - I was really bored)

I asked the security guy if it would have been quicker to go landside and try security at the North Terminal departures area. He said "probably not". I had a 6 hour layover so it was not an inconvenience but listening to passengers laughing about "British Efficiency" was embarrassing and I am not British.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 4:06 am

Just to add my 2 pence worth. Was on BA11 on Sunday night to SIN and I took 3 hours 25 mins to get through security. Check-in was a breeze and arrived at the airport nice and early to get a good few hours in the lounge, but after check in had to go outside to the tent. They were only letting you in 90 mins before your flight. So I stood in a puddle in a tent for 2.5 hours until my flight was called. Then took another hour to get through the security mess. Had to go straight to the plane. Get on the plane only to wait another hour on the tarmac for the remaining 57 people who had checked in but had not made it through security. Only joy was that bags were on belt by the time I got through Immigration at SIN. Plane to Taxi in less than 30 mins.

Last edited by BRSlad; Dec 12, 2006 at 4:56 am
Old Dec 12, 2006, 6:23 am

Programs: EY Platinum
Is there anywhere you can get the current status of queues at T4 (e.g. BAA website)? I'm off to JFK on Thursday night and would like some advance warning if I'm going to have to spend 3 hours waiting in a puddle in a tent.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 7:11 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, British Airways ID, Lloyds TSB Visa Debit Card
I haven't read the whole thread here, but I've noticed a few grumbles about delays waiting for luggage. This is happening on almost EVERY flight at the moment. The handlers are working to rule, and this is slowing everything down massively. They're not happy with the way they are being treated at the moment, either.

But, it's also hitting us as crew. We're standing in the cold, at aircraft side, waiting for the bags to be unloaded. I came in from YYC last week on the second flight back in to LHR from YYC (I took the first one out) and three buses came to the plane to pick us up but left because there was nobody there to unload the bags.

There is great un-happiness in this company at the moment, not just within the crew community.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 9:19 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by Roger
It was the same yesterday and is presumably part of the post-5 December check-in 'enhancements'.
I'm confused .

Further on in this thread people are talking about huge security queues / only being allowed through 90 minutes before flights, etc - is this also related to the (BA only) check-in enhancements ?

Or am I missing something else altogether ? This all sounds like the August hand baggage restrictions, which were airport wide. I'm quite glad that I've taken December off travelling anywhere (except on Dec 25).
Old Dec 12, 2006, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by StewieMac
I'm confused
Reasonably so.

I was only talking about check-in. No problems with the tent at 0915 last Friday. When I saw references to the tent, I too was confused. I saw the tent on Sunday and wondered how people got from the tent to airside. I didn't wait to ask.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 12:40 pm
Suspended

I have a 3 pm departure on a European flight in Club Europe on Sunday. When do you suggest I arrive and will I get a Fast Track?

Also, where is the Molton Brown spa located? Will I be able to access it?

Last edited by LX1334; Dec 12, 2006 at 12:53 pm
Old Dec 12, 2006, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Roger
Reasonably so.

I was only talking about check-in. No problems with the tent at 0915 last Friday. When I saw references to the tent, I too was confused. I saw the tent on Sunday and wondered how people got from the tent to airside. I didn't wait to ask.
The last few times I've had the pleasure of T4 it seems early to mid-morning queues are acceptable for security.

Then as the day goes on (and I normally leave for long haul on sundays, so can't comment on weekdays), the queue increases and then once it has snaked a couple of times and tensions fray staff step in. They then re-direct via the tents.

I heard one of the staff mention the queue is very slow, and as flights get to within 1hr of departure BA will come down and call specific flight numbers.

Tents are bad, there is heating, but there are two sections where you are open to the elements (unless they have changed it again).

I really don't understand why the staff don't walk the queues and prep people for the 30 seconds it should take to get through, laptops out, pockets empty etc. Or is there underlying reasons I'm not aware of
Old Dec 12, 2006, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Gold
I was filming at T4 yesterday morning some of our crew flying off. Flight to Dehli closed at 10.45 ish. They were pulled from massive q by BA at 10.44 Took until 11.10 to complete check in and paying for massive excess baggage - then they mounted the security line for a flight which the gate closed at 11.25ish. Someone from BA suggested they would still be OK to get the flight but i managed to sweet talk some fast track stickers from someone and got them through quickly. I don't know what would have happened otherwise. There was no one pulling people through fast track - i'm sure the plane wouldn't have waited? I'm filming there again on Thurs and flying myself from T1 on Friday so can only wait for more fun and games

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.