Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plea for help from BA Cabin Crew

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2006, 7:54 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
I did not read the whole thread, but after two and a half pages I had been shocked enough. It amazes me how vitriolic and hateful people become when debating unions and strike-action. I won't state my opinion regarding stikes and unions, because quite frankly it seems everyone fancies themselves self-appointed experts on the subject, very biased, or both.

Treating your employees well has benefits beyond just avoiding strike action. Take the example of Costco in the USA, which is not unionized. But their employees are very well taken care of. They have never had a strike. Their employees also, by the way, are some of the most helpful and knowledgable there are, in terms of being able to assist customers in their area. Everyone from the sweepers to the directors receives healthcare benefits, living wages, respectful treatment, fair compensation and so on. And yet Costco is a thriving, happy, publically-traded business. Both the media and Costco itself attribute this partly to the attitude towards employees and relationships with management. It is an investment, but it has paid off.

Furthermore, and probably of far greater importance to the BA board, Costco sells vintage bottles of Krug for about $140 plus tax. My father tells me that is not very much. Buy a dozen and you get a further discount.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
..... I think that it is most disingenuous to critisise Washbag for giving a heads-up - I've been away and I had rather lost the plot over the whole thing. I know what he/she was trying to say and of course if it is not what we want to hear we are going to react. Influential is right - this is a highly sensitive subject. I work to keep my passengers as happy as I can and this sort of thing makes a mockery of all that I try to do. Still I suspect that if the whole thing goes pear shaped his days may be numbered because he will go before British Airways does. We have the wrong government for facing down organised labour and expecting to win.

I have never been so forthright here before and I do so certain in the knowledge that it may please no one. I am truly sorry about that. I am however even sorrier to watch a magnificent airline being downgraded.

PG
^ ^ ^

Thanks for being so open with us. I for one greatly appreciate it.

I also have some strong concerns about the way BA is behaving right now - to everyone, whether they be pax, crew, ground staff or whoever. That not wanting to listen seems, all too often, to apply to us all.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:11 am

Programs: Amex Gold, Sofitel Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by fraisse10
I (and I suspect many others; certainly Londoners) are sick and tired of transport workers using their uniquely privileged positions to ruin the lives of the rest of us. We can't find alternatives to the Underground, but BA - yes we can and will.
Maybe I'm looking at their position from a different angle to you, at a basic pay of Ł10,213 I don't see their position to be at all the same as an LUL driver on Ł30-40K. If I am understanding your argument correctly you could say that any worker is in a privileged position in that they have some hold or influence (one way or another) over your life and they therefore should put up with any terms and conditions the employer throws at them so that they don't inconvenience you.

Many of the crew are young people who can't afford to live in London because of their low salaries. I know there are many others who are in the same positions but as I understand it the crew are not asking for huge pay hikes, they merely want to hold on to what they have. It does not seem to me at all unreasonable either, considering that BA are one of the most successful of all comparable airlines.

Do you have any other argument that doesn't revolve around your holiday to South Africa or is that mainly why you're throwing your toys out of the pram while shouting "ME! ME! ME!"?
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
Originally Posted by BAFlyer78
1. If I am understanding your argument correctly you could say that any worker is in a privileged position in that they have some hold or influence (one way or another) over your life and they therefore should put up with any terms and conditions the employer throws at them so that they don't inconvenience you.

2. Do you have any other argument that doesn't revolve around your holiday to South Africa or is that mainly why you're throwing your toys out of the pram while shouting "ME! ME! ME!"?

1. You're not. Almost any other type of worker doesn't have a monopolistic hold over your life. Transport workers do. And they know how to exploit it.

2. No, not really. I am shouting Me Me Me. Just like the staff are.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my view, the crew - their professionalism and friendliness - is exactly what draws many people to flying with BA. You can't compare them with someone that just does a routine job, and has no contact with their customers.

They are one of the Unique Selling Points of the business, in the same as the LHR base is, the NNCW seat is, the BA Miles programme. BA is not going to chuck out the NNCW seat and replace it with the OCW seat, to save a few $$'s. The staff should be treated in the same say, as an important part of the business. Their continued employment with the company, and proper motivation, is IMHO vital to maintain BA's leading position in the market.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
1. You're not. Almost any other type of worker doesn't have a monopolistic hold over your life. Transport workers do. And they know how to exploit it.

How on earth can you compare Underground employees who strike on an almost weekly basis, to BA Cabin Crew. The calibre of the two are world's apart.

You're shouting me, me, me about yourself. The crew are in agreement with each other and fighting a common cause to help each other - this is not about any one person.

Last edited by sunrisegirl; Dec 11, 2006 at 9:57 am
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:36 am

Programs: Amex Gold, Sofitel Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver

I give up...
Old Dec 11, 2006, 9:03 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
In my view, the crew - their professionalism and friendliness - is exactly what draws many people to flying with BA. You can't compare them with someone that just does a routine job, and has no contact with their customers.

They are one of the Unique Selling Points of the business, in the same as the LHR base is, the NNCW seat is, the BA Miles programme. BA is not going to chuck out the NNCW seat and replace it with the OCW seat, to save a few $$'s. The staff should be treated in the same say, as an important part of the business. Their continued employment with the company, and proper motivation, is IMHO vital to maintain BA's leading position in the market.
Hear, hear. Otherwise we might as well give up and start flying Air France
Old Dec 11, 2006, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
I did not read the whole thread, but after two and a half pages I had been shocked enough. It amazes me how vitriolic and hateful people become when debating unions and strike-action. I won't state my opinion regarding stikes and unions, because quite frankly it seems everyone fancies themselves self-appointed experts on the subject, very biased, or both.

Treating your employees well has benefits beyond just avoiding strike action. Take the example of Costco in the USA, which is not unionized. But their employees are very well taken care of. They have never had a strike. Their employees also, by the way, are some of the most helpful and knowledgable there are, in terms of being able to assist customers in their area. Everyone from the sweepers to the directors receives healthcare benefits, living wages, respectful treatment, fair compensation and so on. And yet Costco is a thriving, happy, publically-traded business. Both the media and Costco itself attribute this partly to the attitude towards employees and relationships with management. It is an investment, but it has paid off.

Furthermore, and probably of far greater importance to the BA board, Costco sells vintage bottles of Krug for about $140 plus tax. My father tells me that is not very much. Buy a dozen and you get a further discount.
Good example. You hit the nail on the head. Sure companies have the need to make profits. And managers should be trying to maximize shareholder value. But at the same time at what cost? Companies such as Costco, Southwest Airlines, Starbucks, etc. have proven that being good to your employees, being socially responsible should come first and the profits will take care of themselves especially over the long run.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 9:51 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by terpfan101
...the profits will take care of themselves especially over the long run.
Managers who are compensated for performance over the short-run, who just want to make their millions and hit the road don't really care.

Pucci, I have been reading your posts for many years and I must commend you on your honesty and forthrightness above, more than anything I have ever heard you say before. Don't worry - what goes around comes around.

I hope it doesn't come to a strike.

I think what really winds people up about the thought of strikes is people like that louse Bob Crow and his selfish demands on behalf of the underworked and overpaid LU crew - actually, what winds me up more is how Ken Livingstone kisses his a**e at every chance.

Lately, in the public mind UNIONS=GREEDY. I'm not saying this is the case at all with BA's FAs, but organised labour has suffered a major PR problem lately and needs to remember that the public is, as best, sceptical of the motives.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by ajax
... actually, what winds me up more is how Ken Livingstone kisses his a**e at every chance.
Arse-kissing like this, this, this and this?
Old Dec 11, 2006, 10:10 am

Last time I checked there were 3 scheduled airlines flying non-stop between LHR and South Africa, with several operating a one stop service. Its an interesting definition of a monopoly. Perhaps fraisse should have booked his holiday flights with another carrier like I have done.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Panic Stations
Perhaps fraisse should have booked his holiday flights with another carrier like I have done.
The BA pilots have started booking with rivals - there's definitely a strike coming folks.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Healthcare workers...?

Bank workers...?

Fuel Distribution (remember the fuel shortages in 2000)...?

It's ridiculously easy to think of examples other than transport workers who hold this 'monopolistic' sway over our lives. The 3 examples I've given would cause total chaos in a few days were they to strike and I am sure there are many more.

I agree with the point of view given over and over again that if companies look after their staff and treat them well it pays dividends in the long-term. Unfortunately, many companies in the UK can't see past the balance sheet for the current quarter...

BAH
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Panic Stations
Last time I checked there were 3 scheduled airlines flying non-stop between LHR and South Africa, with several operating a one stop service. Its an interesting definition of a monopoly.
I agree with this. Its only a monopoly on this route if one's personal preference is to only fly BA.

With 4 airlines, the LON-JNB well served market

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.