J seat screens... new policy or FA's bad day?

Old Dec 8, 06, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, SQ PPS, VS Silver, PC IC Plat Amb, HH Diam, SW Gold, Tesco sad, FR 0.01s
J seat screens... new policy or FA's bad day?

I never thought how good it was to have a window seat and get separated from the whole J cabin by that blue screen. Well, I never thought so until last night when FA marshed through UD cabin before take-off and quickly/forcely lowered all screens (flapping my face by folding screen and exposing my undone flier to the whole world ). As I did not remember such procedure on previous flights/months, I put it back but she returned, lowered it again without a word and gave me a look

Is it a new policy or strange initiative of FA having a bad day?
Old Dec 8, 06, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by mishkira View Post
exposing my undone flier to the whole world
What exactly was it that you were doing at the time?
Old Dec 8, 06, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One of the 10% of BA staff with an attitude problem I suspect.
Old Dec 8, 06, 7:08 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
I certainly thought they had to be down for take-off (the screen that is ).
Old Dec 8, 06, 7:10 am

(flapping my face by folding screen and exposing my undone flier to the whole world ).
Like CC said, what the....???

Have never had a problem with screens up... apart from my husband - who doesn't like it when I put the screen up between us... (jokingly, of course! ).

Did you think of asking why you couldn't have it (the screen) up.

Boo
Old Dec 8, 06, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, SQ PPS, VS Silver, PC IC Plat Amb, HH Diam, SW Gold, Tesco sad, FR 0.01s
Originally Posted by Cargo Cult View Post
What exactly was it that you were doing at the time?
Unfortunately, nothing exciting which could get HER to feel embarassed and close the screen! Just sitting and cooling down after long hot day
Old Dec 8, 06, 7:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Ah ha. I'm not the only one.

I had this happen on a recent flight. However, the crew member stopped to explain why, apparently, it has always been procedure that the divides should always be down until a few minutes before take off.

With the new roll out, this has been re-iterated to all staff, and they are being actively encouraged to make sure it happens.

However----- the weirdest thing is, he pulled it down on my flight, and within 10 mins (we were delayed on the ground) another crew member walked past, noticed it was down, and move it back up Now, that just reeks of inconsistency !!!
Old Dec 8, 06, 7:31 am

Unfortunately, nothing exciting which could get HER to feel embarassed and close the screen! Just sitting and cooling down after long hot day
Is this what men normally do???
Old Dec 8, 06, 7:34 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCRC, TK*G, FB G, HHH D, SPG P.
exposing my undone flier to the whole world
Do they keep the "Solo Mile High Club" certificats onboard these days, or do you still have to send off for them?
Old Dec 8, 06, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another for the new opaque dividing screen, then.

I imagine any resulting stain from the aforementioned activity would be hardly noticeable on the new screen, while one can only imagine the mess it would make on the blue fan.
Old Dec 8, 06, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boo Boo Too View Post
Is this what men normally do???
Well, it seems I am not a good example then but I can live with it. I saw much better one recently: a guy was in his shirt (buttoned up fully upto the throat) and tie (neatty tied) all time during 25++ hours (2 hours before IB announced 12 hours flight delay, plus 11 hours flight plus god knows hiow many houtrs but I guess the whole day in the office). He had not changed or even undone his shirt/tie during 34 odd hours! Is this an example of stiffness or good manners? I am not sure but he did not look good in the morning, whatever he thought was an appropriate dress! Well, I always take showers in departure lounge and change into PJs. Before I do it I just undo my belt and flier but it does not mean I expose too much for other pax to see Back to the topic
Old Dec 8, 06, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
Another for the new opaque dividing screen, then.

I imagine any resulting stain from the aforementioned activity would be hardly noticeable on the new screen, while one can only imagine the mess it would make on the blue fan.
- this comment could only have come from one FTer!
Old Dec 8, 06, 8:04 am

Is this an example of stiffness or good manners? I am not sure but he did not look good in the morning, whatever he thought was an appropriate dress!
Oh stiffness (in the "stuffy" sense of the word... not in the "smirnoff" sense of the word ).

Well, I always take showers in departure lounge and change into PJs. Before I do it I just undo my belt and flier but it does not mean I expose too much for other pax to see Back to the topic
No, I know where you are coming from - I am a shower and PJ type of girl myself... (my pink PJ bottoms with red poka dots were quite well received by the cabin crew on my last cuple of longhaul flights... ). BUT I don't expose things on planes

Ever thought of elasticated troussers? No need for a belt and plenty of beathing room without flashing

Boo
Old Dec 8, 06, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
There seems to be some confusion about this amongst crew. There is a new policy that the screens have to down for boarding and during the safety video. I will get on to our SEP department to send our some clarification.
CIHY

Last edited by Can I help you; Dec 8, 06 at 9:54 am
Old Dec 8, 06, 9:23 am

Programs: Mucci - Princesse Aerienne
Here is the latest missive to cabin crew re the dividers. Seems pretty clear to me. HTH

Edited to add - Absolutely NO EXCUSE for rudely slapping screens down though. I will highlight this in my next briefing.

This is an amendment to the Club World Standards dated October 2006, which takes immediate effect applies to both the original flat bed, with the fabric privacy fan, and the new flat bed about to be launched, with the electrically-operated screen. Please ensure that all screens are in the "down" position on boarding and during the safety briefing, allowing visibility of crew in the event of a manual demonstration. After the safety briefing, passengers may raise the screen if they so wish. After take-off, unless requested otherwise by passengers, crew should place screens in the "up" position after the first delivery (usually wash bags) to window and middle seats, and maintain this as the default for providing privacy, lowering the screen and raising it again for each delivery. Privacy screens may be maintained in the "up" position for landing and taxiing to stand.

Last edited by Purserette; Dec 8, 06 at 9:31 am

Search this Thread