Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Compassion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
BA Compassion

This was in August, but I just heard the fully story.

A colleague's dad in Sydney was very ill, so she needed to fly back to Australia from London straight away. Dad had a million BA miles, so she rang BA and said can I go back in business on his miles, tomorrow? They said no room, but F is free. So off she went. First class all the way.

She was very appreciative to BA. Dad died, sadly.

James
Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Do you know if she spoke to BAEC in the UK or was it an Australian office (given I assume that's where the member's account was).

^ to BA either way...
Old Dec 8, 2006, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
OK, I didn't really want to push it with her, but she was happy to give the details.

MY OP was a bit misleading. Dad had Qantas FF points. Apparently Qantas has more award flights available if you phone them, compared to on-line, but you have to spend extra points to access them.

So they put her on a QF flight operated by BA... that's how she got to fly in F at short notice. So did not really have much to do with BA compassion at all.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by James S
OK, I didn't really want to push it with her, but she was happy to give the details.

MY OP was a bit misleading. Dad had Qantas FF points. Apparently Qantas has more award flights available if you phone them, compared to on-line, but you have to spend extra points to access them.

So they put her on a QF flight operated by BA... that's how she got to fly in F at short notice. So did not really have much to do with BA compassion at all.
And my bolding makes this look like the way a number of other FF plans work... I think UA is one of them - basically you hand over 2x the miles and so long as there's an open seat, you get access.

So probably just the regular MO...
Old Dec 12, 2006, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, Continental Onepass
I wasn't in First but...

in July I had to fly at a moment's notice IAH-LGW because I found out that my Mother was dying.
WT+ cost me $2,800...ouch! I guess they know that if you're travelling same day as you book, money is no option...Now if we were Continental flyers, we'd have got bereavement flights discounted!
Anyway, at check-in my Husband, who usually ditches me kerbside, explained the situation (while I sobbed) and they blocked the seat next to me to give me some privacy. On board, the crew couldn't have been nicer; brought me a box of tissues, plenty of booze, checked on me throughout the night and wished me well at Gatwick.
Technically BA did nothing but the staff I encountered were genuinely caring. It's a sad reflection of customer service today, that this was suprising to me!
Fortunately I got to Wales in time and Mum passed away about 36hrs later.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm pleased that you got to Wales in time, under what were clearly difficult circumstances.

However, I thought the US airlines has done away with Compassion (Bereavement) Fares, so checked the CO website. I was mistaken, but you would have only got a 10% discount , plus you would have been paying out for your own alcohol and that would all be in regular economy as opposed to Y+.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.