Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Well On Topic: Glad I'm not on Max Jet today, er yesterday

Well On Topic: Glad I'm not on Max Jet today, er yesterday

Old Dec 9, 2006, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by hfly
Actually due to fleet reductions over the last five years and the recent polonium scare I believe that BA has few if any hot spares at the moment for anything.
Must be something somewhere - a 747 was stuck in JNB for 24 hours on Monday after going tech, and I can't believe BA would have no cover for the flights that plane was meant to do on Tue.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Just seen the guy who was sitting behind me on last night's flight here too - clearly I'm not the only one who moved over!
Not the only one. One of 12, in fact. One of 12 people moved by MY who represented the entire passenger load on VS146 This may well go down on my list as the best flight of the year when I get around to thinking about Raffles's thread properly...there is something extremely cool about rattling around an A346 with 12 passengers and 20 crew! Now that is a service ratio And a big ^ to the crew too, who didn't treat us as second class citizens at all - they kept announcing it as 'our special service to London Heathrow for our MAXjet passengers' and were chatty and kept the booze flowing. Delightful bunch! In fact, it was like a big (well, small!) party until we all crashed out Note to self: 3hrs sleep, even with something bigger than Wee Willie's, will not actually sober you up (FWIW, the bed was very comfy and made for you like in BA F ^ The downside being that unlike CW or F, you must be out of it to transform it to a bed - and of course when my movie ended and I wanted to sleep, we hit turbulence and I had to wait 20mins! The angle/lack of window thing didn't bother me much just like rear-facing CW seats don't. Overall, a very nice product IMHO. Better than any 777/747 Lower Deck seat but for me personally, 64K (and only 64K really) still beats it because you still have more space.).

Apparently, the flight was going to be ferryed back LHR empty but VS were happy to rebook the MY pax. Thank God they did too - someone's luck is clearly not in at MAXjet rifght now I just checked MY100 from yesterday and it's still not left again Scheduled for a 09:00 departure today, 21:45 arrival at STN. That's really bad luck considering it was a second 767, not even the first one which went tech originally.

So for me at least, this ended extremely well - I got to sample (and enjoy!) two Business products I'd not used before, for a bargain price plus the 'cost' of an extra day spent working in a hotel instead of working at home. I count myself very lucky I was endorsed over to VS!

I may do a trip report since these were both new airlines to me...if I get time to cover it in the kind of detail I like
Old Dec 9, 2006, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA/BMI/RZGP Gold, AA/Amex Plat, IC Plat RA, HH Diamond, VS Silver
Excellent - and glad my supporting texts helped
Old Dec 9, 2006, 6:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
glad it all ended happily... even if at the cost of my sleep
Old Dec 9, 2006, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Glad you enjoyed VS G-BOAC

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 9, 2006, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Glad you enjoyed VS G-BOAC
Indeed...not enough to ask for my handle to be changed to G-VBIG just yet though
Old Dec 9, 2006, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed...not enough to ask for my handle to be changed to G-VBIG just yet though

Glad you enjoyed it too, we in the UK that we are lucky to have 2 top class intercontinental carriers. ^

Will you be flying MY again?
Old Dec 9, 2006, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

A picture of G-VBIG ( named Tinker Belle) at JFK;

http://www1.airliners.net/open.file/1071828/M/

Regards

TBS

PS I sometimes miss the names of the BA 747's which used to be in the Landor Livery ie City of xxxxxx
Old Dec 9, 2006, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Will you be flying MY again?
I would do, yes. I think (when they fly!) they have a good product for the price and the way the problems were handled by the staff was excellent which instills confidence ^ Certainly if I'm faced with the cost of BA Y or W being more than MY, I'd take MY. Planes going tech can happen to anyone - and of course I'd rather they didn't fly if there was a problem! But I'm curious as to why last night's JFK-STN was/is also delayed (the MY site is still showing ETD 09:00 which has been and gone!), I'm going to have to pop over to another PPlace and have a look around - that does seem extraordinarily bad luck!
Old Dec 9, 2006, 7:40 am
jhm

Certainly if I'm faced with the cost of BA Y or W being more than MY, I'd take MY.
That's an easy thing to say! How about if MY is slightly more than BA W ?
Old Dec 9, 2006, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
FWIW, I am with Roger here. One incident, could happen to anyone.
There have been a lot of delays/cancellations on MY due to tech problems with their rather aging 767s - this is def not an isolated incident. In October, their flights to IAD seem to be cancelled more than they flew and they had another JFK flight last week which had a severe delay.

I've been keeping an eye on them as I'm flying to LAS for Xmas. They do have a 3rd plane now which acts as a back up at STN I believe if it's not being chartered.

UPDATE - it seems yesterdays STN-IAD was cancelled and yesterdays JFK-STN flight was also delayed over-night - and still hasn't left. Chaos -at least MY don't schedule any flights on Saturdays so they have some time to catch up on themselves.

I hope they sort themselves out before my flight in a couple of weeks

Last edited by irmster; Dec 9, 2006 at 8:13 am Reason: new flight info
Old Dec 9, 2006, 10:47 am

Friday evening's flight finally left JFK at 12:30pm local time Saturday -and is due to arrive Sunday 1-15am - nearly 17 hours late.

No news on what caused the 2nd long delay in 2 days (or the IAD cancellation).
Old Dec 10, 2006, 3:21 am

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Originally Posted by jedison
I was on the NBO flight. It wasn't so much a delay as an aborted flight, with fuel dumped in the Channel. They lost my luggage, to boot, so I'm in Kigali now with just my sport jacket and my BA F PJs.
I hope that I am slightly confused with this statement.

If the BA F PJs were picked up in the cabin when entering the flight...
If Jedison's clothes were all in the hold luggage
If Jedison is now only clothed with PJs and a sports jacket

Did that mean that he wandered through LHR T4 wearing only a sports jacket?

And what is more, I bet that BAA security made him remove that for a security check when walking through the metal detector!
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Not the only one. One of 12, in fact. One of 12 people moved by MY who represented the entire passenger load on VS146 This may well go down on my list as the best flight of the year when I get around to thinking about Raffles's thread properly...there is something extremely cool about rattling around an A346 with 12 passengers and 20 crew! Now that is a service ratio And a big ^ to the crew too, who didn't treat us as second class citizens at all - they kept announcing it as 'our special service to London Heathrow for our MAXjet passengers' and were chatty and kept the booze flowing. Delightful bunch! In fact, it was like a big (well, small!) party until we all crashed out Note to self: 3hrs sleep, even with something bigger than Wee Willie's, will not actually sober you up (FWIW, the bed was very comfy and made for you like in BA F ^ The downside being that unlike CW or F, you must be out of it to transform it to a bed - and of course when my movie ended and I wanted to sleep, we hit turbulence and I had to wait 20mins! The angle/lack of window thing didn't bother me much just like rear-facing CW seats don't. Overall, a very nice product IMHO. Better than any 777/747 Lower Deck seat but for me personally, 64K (and only 64K really) still beats it because you still have more space.).

Apparently, the flight was going to be ferryed back LHR empty but VS were happy to rebook the MY pax. Thank God they did too - someone's luck is clearly not in at MAXjet rifght now I just checked MY100 from yesterday and it's still not left again Scheduled for a 09:00 departure today, 21:45 arrival at STN. That's really bad luck considering it was a second 767, not even the first one which went tech originally.

So for me at least, this ended extremely well - I got to sample (and enjoy!) two Business products I'd not used before, for a bargain price plus the 'cost' of an extra day spent working in a hotel instead of working at home. I count myself very lucky I was endorsed over to VS!

I may do a trip report since these were both new airlines to me...if I get time to cover it in the kind of detail I like
Kinda worries me about VS premium loads, if you were the only premium pax onboard, it is a well serviced route though so maybe not too serious.

Did you have the gold coloured light fitting, which if you hit your head in a crash looks like it would do you some serious damage? The flip your seat thing is my biggest bug about the VS bed/seat, although to be fair I only spent 10 mins in one at the Business Travel Show. The thing was I couldn't get it to recline into the comfortable position I like with NCW and then I had to get out of my seat for them to change it into a bed, which although quite comfortable was a bit of a hassle to do.

Good to see you're back safely.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:35 pm

What did G-BOAC do to MY. Since Thursday there have been 2 overnight delays ex-JFK, 2 cancellations on the IAD route and todays STN-LAS is still on the ground 7 hours after scheduled departure time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.