Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Well On Topic: Glad I'm not on Max Jet today, er yesterday

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Well On Topic: Glad I'm not on Max Jet today, er yesterday

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2006, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
There's some pathetic badmouthing above. Trying to restore some perspective:

- I sat on board my BA YVR-LHR while they changed an engine. A couple of hours delay. At least we were in F and they opened the bar. How many replacement BA planes were there at YVR? Er, a nice round figure. Did we have the chance to rebook? No.

- I sat on board my LHR-CDG while they tried and tried and tried to get off the ramp (BA were the handlers). How many replacement BA planes were there at LHR? Several probably, but not for us. Did we have the chance to rebook? No. Ended up two hours late in Paris and I needed to take a taxi. Did BA pay for the taxi? Ha ha.

- My wife is currently at LHR waiting to leave for ZRH. 'Estimated' take off earlier was 11:30. Then 12:45. Now 13:30. How many replacement BA planes are there at LHR? Several probably, but not for her. Has she had the chance to rebook? I don't think so.

Come on, folks. Remember the thing about motes and beams.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Roger
Roger, with respect I think the restraint that has been shown so far is quite admirable. I was expecting this to turn into a tirade of abuse against MaxJet - and indeed your reference points are both interesting and welcome - but when I first saw this crop up, I had real hopes for an entertaining Friday afternoon.

Sadly, it doesn't look likely!
Old Dec 8, 2006, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

- My wife is currently at LHR waiting to leave for ZRH. 'Estimated' take off earlier was 11:30. Then 12:45. Now 13:30. How many replacement BA planes are there at LHR? Several probably, but not for her. Has she had the chance to rebook? I don't think so.
Just had a call from the boss at 13:25 (almost two hours late and not yet boarded). They're replacing the crew.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 6:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver

- I sat on board my BA YVR-LHR while they changed an engine. A couple of hours delay. At least we were in F and they opened the bar. How many replacement BA planes were there at YVR? Er, a nice round figure. Did we have the chance to rebook? No.

- I sat on board my LHR-CDG while they tried and tried and tried to get off the ramp (BA were the handlers). How many replacement BA planes were there at LHR? Several probably, but not for us. Did we have the chance to rebook? No. Ended up two hours late in Paris and I needed to take a taxi. Did BA pay for the taxi? Ha ha.

Come on, folks. Remember the thing about motes and beams.
I appreciate what you are saying. However I think it is lucky G-BOAC is not in Las Vegas when this has happened as there are only two flights a week. I guess they would book people onto Virgin there as well.

I see what you are saying with the BA examples, however if there were severe problems, especially on the short haul examples I would think the staff would be more proactive.

Interesting that you use Paris as an example, I have often been swapped to alternative flights at a moments notice in the lounges at T4 before. One reason I always ask if everything is on time when they swipe my boarding card (sorry...I mean 'scan' which is the new thing now..... )
Old Dec 8, 2006, 7:04 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
But even if it is on time, it doesn't mean that it will not be delayed.

I've had it happen a number of times that the flight is showing on time and then just as I am checking the monitors to go to the gate, it flashes delayed.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I could regale you with tales about the poor reliability of LHR-ZRH and vice versa. But not this time. Just so you understand, here is the latest (mis)management and (mis)information.

BA714, scheduled to take off at 11:30 is STILL 'estimated' at 13:30, just 35 minutes later. The boss called. They have boarded and are waiting for two people. THE PILOT AND THE CO-PILOT Angry? Me?

And BA716, due to depart at 13:40, left at 13:44.

Did she have the chance to rebook? Ha ha ha.

Whoops, just rechecked. 714 is now re-estimated at 14:30. We'll see. I wonder what excuse they'll give. Our experience of 3-hour delays on this route tells us that it will be the weather in Scotland, fog in Denmark or whatever. Certainly not missing flight crew.

So what was that about noddy airlines?

Instant edit: re-re-estimated at 14:45 ...
Old Dec 8, 2006, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Instant edit: re-re-estimated at 14:45 ...
Re-re edit: now estimated 15:45 So that's 4 1/4 hours so far ...

Who said noddy?

Edit to add that they're waiting for the flight crew to arrive from Stuttgart, according to EC. They're on the 917 which arrived at 12:40 according to askba. That's 2 1/2 hours ago. Perhaps they had to cross the live runway.

Update: finally took off at 15:05, according to askba. It will be interesting to hear what the captain or second officer says to the passengers.

Last edited by Roger; Dec 8, 2006 at 8:21 am
Old Dec 8, 2006, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by schofs
inability to check for people who haven't searched on FT
Even the Ramada Inn has Wifi, you know Thank you for the 'concern', schofs...you will keep To everyone else who was actually, you know, helpful and nice thank you!

FWIW, I am with Roger here. One incident, could happen to anyone. Sure, I was tired, I was bubbling up to be short tempered because of that and it was a huge inconvenience and a major PITA. But this was all diffused by the lovely station manager and crew, all of whom did their best and kept us informed and looked after us. Frankly, from some previous stories here, you can't even be sure BA would have been as good in that situation I'm sure.

This is one incident (he says desperately hoping tonight's flight gets away ) and these things happen. It could have happened were I on BA (granted, they have more services on which to rebook me though) or indeed VS - just as it did last night! I have actually surprised myself at how calm I've been

In all my miles of flying, I can't recall anything like this happening before. In fact, I'd class myself in the past as an extremely lucky traveller (missing the brunt of all the strikes/cancellations/chaos in general). Odds were this would happen to me sooner or later, and it has...so I am just grateful it was handled well so far IMHO.

Prod is safely packed away...but on charge

PS For avoidance of doubt, I asked about rebooking options and hotel options the 'C' word never left my lips (the same cannot be said for some of my fellow pax)!
Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, the latest is I got to JFK early having checked VS loads in EF and seen MY100 was at least an hour late today too and asked whether the rebooking offered last night was still available. It was and I'm now in the VS Clubhouse enjoying a glass of LP ^ The downside is, they are rebooking people in Upper Class on VS146 - the return back to LHR of yesterday's cancelled (sorry, very delayed!) VS46. Lightening can't strike twice for me, can it? Surely not...!?! Everyone who doesn’t want to see Mr. Prod stranded, please cross your fingers…everyone else, well, I’ll let you know tomorrow morning

Still, assuming all goes to plan, it could be quite a trip report – two new airlines in one trip! It’s an A346 and I have 12K – no idea of it’s good or not, but it’ll be an experiment! We’re due off at 19:45 (instead of 20:00 for today’s VS46). Getting back to LHR vs. STN will also be rather handy.

The MY staff were lovely again (one of them walked me over to T4 to make sure I got on VS with no hassle) and I still maintain ‘these things happen’ – I would absolutely use MY again. In fact, I almost feel guilty being moved over to VS because I bet it costs them a pretty penny, especially from my original sale price ticket
Old Dec 8, 2006, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi G-BOAC,

Hope you enjoy VS Upper Class ( if not offered ask for the sleep suit when on board).

12K should be ok( now row 13) and far enough forward of the bar ( behind row 17) so as not to get too much noise.

The A 346 will have vport AVOD.
Not sure on food as they may have a good night service ( enhanced sleeper service) so you may want to eat in the clubhouse.

On arrival at LHR you should get access to the Revivals lounge at T3 ( entrance by the lifts to the car park)

Regards

TBS

PS Have you handed over your BD Gold card to get Destination miles on VS ( no Status miles though)
Old Dec 8, 2006, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi TBS - thanks for the info! I didn't bother looking up 'best' seats as I didn't feel I had much choice in the matter (was just grateful for 12K!) at check-in, so thanks for the re-assuring words that it sounds like a good one I am indeed eating in the Clubhouse - an excellent lamb curry. The ambience is poor (open to the terminal, landside, noisy) but the staff are great and the food offerings/table service puts the BA F lounges to shame. No free WiFi (just like BA)...but the 'King David Lounge' does

I handed over my VS Red card I did think about BD for the miles there since I'm collecting towards a decent Miles+Cash (the Raffles brainwashing is working on many of us, it seems ), but thought I'd boost my ailing VS balance and keep the few miles there alive too (assuming some post - if not, I can't really complain! Like a good FTer, I thought it was worth a try though ).

Just seen the guy who was sitting behind me on last night's flight here too - clearly I'm not the only one who moved over!
Old Dec 8, 2006, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually due to fleet reductions over the last five years and the recent polonium scare I believe that BA has few if any hot spares at the moment for anything.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hfly
Actually due to fleet reductions over the last five years and the recent polonium scare I believe that BA has few if any hot spares at the moment for anything.
Is the hotness of the planes directly related to the level of Polonium they're carrying that day?
Old Dec 8, 2006, 4:40 pm
jhm

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
they are rebooking people in Upper Class on VS146
That's more like it - ^ for MAXjet. My MY100 JFK-STN flight last month wasn't delayed so I can't comment on that aspect but I was certainly more than happy with the inflight food (a tasty steak), service (not exactly warm but efficient) and seat (able to sleep for a few hours) - comparable to UA J and SQ J which I've taken TATL and much better pricewise - and I'd take MY again (if not in a hurry!).
Old Dec 9, 2006, 1:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood/Marriott Plat, Others of little note
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
The NBO flight had an overnight delay too... That means yesterday BA had two long delays whilst MY only had one. MY therefore is the clear winner in punctuality/reliability

I was on the NBO flight. It wasn't so much a delay as an aborted flight, with fuel dumped in the Channel. They lost my luggage, to boot, so I'm in Kigali now with just my sport jacket and my BA F PJs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.