FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Travelling with Twins (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/633253-travelling-twins.html)

flyertalkid Dec 7, 2006 10:32 am

Travelling with Twins

I came across this site on the web and read thru all the threads especially the ones for travelling with childern..

I'm travelling from US to London and to India with DH and our 11 months old twins in the economy class.. Obvisously we are allocated my DH seats across from mine on the same row.. We have requested for 2 bassinets.. Since it is going to be 16 hours flight time, we need enough food, other items for them and plus our personal items.. I'm trying to see if i can reduce some of hand in luggage items.

Please shed some lights on the follwoing questions
1. How thick are the bassinet beds are?/.. Do we need our own blankets for it??
2. Are they deep enough, so my boys won't try to come out of it?.
3. If one parent had to use restroom, can the other parent allowed to hold both kids in BA aircraft for that short period?
4. I assume i can't bring the sealed water bottle, and they are provided in the plane. is that right?
5. Diaper changes, can they allow me to change the pee one in the seat itslef?.. I do not want to take them to the restroom unless it is a dirty diaper.
6. What did you do when they hesistate to be on the basinet?/.. Is my life gone, if they do that?..
7. not least, please give me tips, tricks etc to make my ride smooth atleast not exhasuting.

My DH is already scard of this trip.. We are flying in Jan..

Thanks guys for your valuable answers....

Smirnoff Dec 7, 2006 10:41 am

wow..twin threads :)

Smirnoff Dec 7, 2006 10:42 am

am I seeing double? :confused:

clubman Dec 7, 2006 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Smirnoff (Post 6809326)
am I seeing double? :confused:

Or maybe there is still a twin thread... :confused:

jamesmax Dec 7, 2006 10:53 am

Good luck! The BA bassinet seats should take an 11 month old, though it will be a snug fit. The child can be strapped in, so that he can't get out by himself. I don't think there will be a problem with changing non-poo nappies at seat. As far as drinks go (water / milk) I don't know what you will be allowed to bring on board, you should ask that question of BA directly - or someone more in the know on here may answer. As far as you or your husband holding both kids - the question is more how long you can tolerate it for - but I imagine you have short periods in mind. You will have to have the child on your lap(s) with lap-belt on during take off and landing (and perhaps as well if the seat belt light come on during flight - don't know for certain). The whole thing sounds fairly hellish - have you considered phenergan?

Also, don't expect much help from BA staff on board - sometimes they're great, but I've experienced it when they're not - seemed like they could hardly have cared less - but I don't think this is necessarily their fault (company rules?). You need to make very sure that you have the bassinet row seats booked - I've also experienced it when pre-requesting the bassinet seat that on turning up at the airport (3 hours early) it has already been allocated to someone else:mad: . This can happen particularly if there's more babies than bassinets on board.

Teece Dec 7, 2006 11:05 am

Originally Posted by jamesmax (Post 6809411)
You need to make very sure that you have the bassinet row seats booked - I've also experienced it when pre-requesting the bassinet seat that on turning up at the airport (3 hours early) it has already been allocated to someone else:mad: . This can happen particularly if there's more babies than bassinets on board.

This is one positive experience of the new seating policy - you now have direct access to these via MMB. The OP should go there and get them straight away, if you haven't already.

Regarding the diaper/nappy - coming back from BOS last month, the crew politely insisted that the lady with the cute baby changed them in the toilets, regardless of how dirty they were.

jamesmax Dec 7, 2006 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Teece (Post 6809497)
This is one positive experience of the new seating policy - you now have direct access to these via MMB. The OP should go there and get them straight away, if you haven't already.

Good point.

Boo Boo Dec 7, 2006 11:10 am

Originally Posted by flyertalkid (Post 6809263)
5. Diaper changes, can they allow me to change the pee one in the seat itslef?.. I do not want to take them to the restroom unless it is a dirty diaper.

Originally Posted by jamesmax
I don't think there will be a problem with changing non-poo nappies at seat.

I am sorry, but eeeewwwwww! :td:

Maybe it highlights me as a person with no kids at the moment, but that doesn't sound very nice :( (maybe I will change my tune after having a child... ;) ).

I am not familiar with baby pee, but doesn't it sometimes smell a bit... plus isn't there occassionally the risk of something spraying/shooting out during the change - especially with boys (some of my friends have recently had a baby and have told tales of how many napies the baby has gone through during the change...)?

Good luck with the twins, sounds like handful. :)

Boo

flyertalkid Dec 7, 2006 12:47 pm

Sorry guys for the twin threads.. Really i did not do it on purpose, i guess, i hit the submit twice, well, all i'm doing is twice of everything, feed twice, change diapers twice, dressing twice, what not... Well, i really liked your sense of humour out of my threads,

Well now back to my questions, please please any tips would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks for all the answers so far..

I have the seats that have bassinets, so i'm not worried on that part though, i will go to the airport early early to make sure i get the bassinets.

Pyeinthesky Dec 7, 2006 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by flyertalkid (Post 6810080)
Sorry guys for the twin threads.. Really i did not do it on purpose

Yeah right, pull the other one!

G-BOAC Dec 7, 2006 12:55 pm

OK, I've got to ask...what the hell is a DH!? (Sorry, I have no practical answers for you...on either thread ;)).

Jenbel Dec 7, 2006 1:00 pm

IIRC dear husband - US expression.

NNH Dec 7, 2006 1:09 pm

It sounds so much nicer than Expensive Husband

lgw29 Dec 7, 2006 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Boo Boo Too (Post 6809533)
I am sorry, but eeeewwwwww! :td:

Maybe it highlights me as a person with no kids at the moment, but that doesn't sound very nice :( (maybe I will change my tune after having a child... ;) ).

I am not familiar with baby pee, but doesn't it sometimes smell a bit... plus isn't there occassionally the risk of something spraying/shooting out during the change - especially with boys (some of my friends have recently had a baby and have told tales of how many napies the baby has gone through during the change...)?

Good luck with the twins, sounds like handful. :)

Boo

as crew when i see someone changing nappies in the seat i ask the parents to use the wash rooms as it not very nice for the other people around and if they use the seat table as a changing table is just vile

Boo Boo Dec 7, 2006 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by lgw29 (Post 6810644)
as crew when i see someone changing nappies in the seat i ask the parents to use the wash rooms as it not very nice for the other people around and if they use the seat table as a changing table is just vile

Thank you - that is really appreciated :) ^

I am not anti-kids, but there is only so much of other peoples I can enjoy: bad behaviour I strongly dislike (especially if I can't escape it) and the child's toilet functions is another.

Reminds me of when we had a couple of friends around to dinner with their baby (about 12 months old) a few years ago... they made a BIG thing of changing their child's nappy (it was a no 2!) in the middle of my sitting room floor after dinner. They could have used the bathroom (which was spotless and big enough), but they had to make a big thing of sharing the poo-ey nappy with us. They haven't been invited around to dinner since and it certainly didn't encourage us to have kids any sooner (maybe that was the idea!). So I appreciate how DIFFICULT it can be to stop someone changing a nappy in an inappropriate place and sharing the experience with all those around... :(

Boo