Should I "move" to Europe?

Old Dec 5, 2006, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Should I "move" to Europe?

With the upcoming changes to services from MAN, it's likely that I'll post about 900 points with BA by July and will drop out of gold. I'm not minded to do a run to retain status, but I could easily "move" to a friends address in Europe.

I would lose the Amex 2-4-1, but travelling with 2 sprogs and using the voucher is proving hard. I'd be happy to bank my miles for a few years before renewing my Amex in a "move" back to the UK. Meanwhile I can continue to use my Tesco card to feed the miles pile.

Anyone want to convince me not to do it?
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by MAN Pax
Can you sleep at night knowing you're a dirty Eurocheat? If so, go for it
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:29 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Has anyone considered that after the BAConnect to FLYbe Dust has settled with Unions etc, they may just introduce some form of codeshare. Well thats what I'm hoping, I would hate to see that wonderful MAN Terraces deserted.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by MAN Pax
With the upcoming changes to services from MAN, it's likely that I'll post about 900 points with BA by July and will drop out of gold. I'm not minded to do a run to retain status, but I could easily "move" to a friends address in Europe.
I would lose the Amex 2-4-1, but travelling with 2 sprogs and using the voucher is proving hard. I'd be happy to bank my miles for a few years before renewing my Amex in a "move" back to the UK. Meanwhile I can continue to use my Tesco card to feed the miles pile.
Go for it, I don't see why not.
In the worst case you move back in 6 months.
As to the AMEX, if you do want to hold on to it, just make sure you have no balance left on it before changing your address to Europe, so that they wont try and post any miles to your account.
It has been reported in the past that this way AMEX will not know about your change of address.
Not guaranteed though.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Can you sleep at night knowing you're a dirty Eurocheat? If so, go for it
Maybe my new name on Flyertalk
Old Dec 6, 2006, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by clubman
In 6 months.
As to the AMEX, if you do want to hold on to it, just make sure you have no balance left on it before changing your address to Europe, so that they wont try and post any miles to your account..
I moved to Europe and am quite happy.

I gave up my BA Amex on purpose, as I have padded my bmi and AAdvantage balances, and pocketed two sets of 20k bonuses in each scheme to boot.

Plus when I move back, a newly minted Gold, in January, I can re-apply for the Amex and net another 6k bonus BA Miles.

Do move to a civilised European country; when booking on the phone or MFUing complex open jaw bookings, you will need to contact them by phone; the French centre I use speak perfect English and have been on a par with the excellent Newcastle cal centre IMHO.

You do need to pay for all flights in Euros though, so although there is no cc charge, the currency conversion may get you.

Was eligible for the 50k bonus recently as well, which would have ben good had I wanted to travel anywhere in CW in Nov/Dec.

All in all, a good experience!
Old May 31, 2007, 2:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Platinum, BA Amex PP, SPG Gold
Final few questions

I’m just about to move my BAEC account to my address in AMS which will trigger Silver for the first time. I’ve searched and read a number of threads regarding this, but wanted to be certain by asking a few questions -

• How quickly does the card get issued after passing the 400TP threshold, bearing in mind it will be issued to AMS?
• My Amex PP card is in my partners name and I’m a supplementary card holder, so should I be OK?
• Losing the Household Account isn’t a problem as our HA is only really used for Amex 241 redemptions. I shouldn’t be doing one of those for another 6 months.
• If my Tesco CC account auto converts to my BAEC account, will this stop and generate paper vouchers?
• Tesco CC vouchers can accumulate and be redeemed at a later date. In the mean time, I will start using my partners Tesco CC and accumulate points.

Many thanks in advance
Old May 31, 2007, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You will need to ring Tesco to stop the auto-convert. Do this now as they refuse to do it if you are getting close to the next mailing cycle. Don't assume that they will do this automatically when BA rejects the next auto transfer and then send you paper vouchers instead - this is probably a step too far for Tesco IT.

Don't see any other problems, apart from the social stigma of using a Tesco CC!
Old May 31, 2007, 3:01 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Originally Posted by Raffles
Not to mention the fat that we'll all know that chrishow is a EUROCHEAT

Seriously, enjoy the perks!
Old May 31, 2007, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
By CC I meant Clubcard, not Credit Card... not that the stigma is any better... at least I don't have to flash the Clubcard outside of Tesco!

I'll stick with my Amex PP (supplementary) and Amex Plat to keep up my social status.

Thanks for the help Raffles, I'll get on to Tesco to stop the auto convert.

Any ideas how long it takes for the card to arrive? Do you think I will have it in time for Taste of London on 22nd June.
Old May 31, 2007, 3:43 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
OT: every little helps - the value of clubcard!!

Originally Posted by chrishow
... at least I don't have to flash the Clubcard outside of Tesco!
the little clubcard barcode token that goes on the key ring is a wonderful free lost key retrieval system.

the police recently used it to contact the owner of a set of keys in the possession of somebody else in a criminal case i was consulted on recently!!
Old May 31, 2007, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by antichef
the little clubcard barcode token that goes on the key ring is a wonderful free lost key retrieval system.

the police recently used it to contact the owner of a set of keys in the possession of somebody else in a criminal case i was consulted on recently!!
It wasn't the Policeman who was recently convicted of Clubcard fraud

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/arti...043757,00.html
Old May 31, 2007, 4:00 am

Programs: Finnair Platinum; Intercontinental Ambassador
If anyone could share any light on how long does it take in average to receive the shiny gold card. I qualified a week ago and now with a trip coming up to my "home country" I wonder if there is a chance it will arrive in time

PS. Estonia will beat England in football.
Old May 31, 2007, 4:04 am
awm

Programs: BA Gold for life
Originally Posted by UncleDude
Has anyone considered that after the BAConnect to FLYbe Dust has settled with Unions etc, they may just introduce some form of codeshare. Well thats what I'm hoping, I would hate to see that wonderful MAN Terraces deserted.
I thought they were codeshares now? I flew MAN/FRA on Monday, flight was ticketed by BA, had a BA flight number but when I got to the terraces I was told that, yes, I could come in but they wouldn't announce the FlyBE flights, even though they are codeshares.
Old May 31, 2007, 4:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, PC RA, Hyatt GP Diamond, GoldPoints Gold
[QUOTE=chrishow;7824914]I’m just about to move my BAEC account to my address in AMS which will trigger Silver for the first time. I’ve searched and read a number of threads regarding this, but wanted to be certain by asking a few questions -

• How quickly does the card get issued after passing the 400TP threshold, bearing in mind it will be issued to AMS?

mine was issued after 5 weeks

• My Amex PP card is in my partners name and I’m a supplementary card holder, so should I be OK?

your will be ok; I still have my AMEX PP, even after moving to Europe

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.