Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OT _ Gatwick MacDonalds - Warn Your Chauffeurs and Meeters and Greeters!

OT _ Gatwick MacDonalds - Warn Your Chauffeurs and Meeters and Greeters!

Old Dec 6, 06, 12:38 am
SLF

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by JPB View Post
Since my local council introduced resident only parking in all streets around me I quite often find some ****** parked in my drive when I get home. Even though there is car park just 100m down the road from me.
So, I think what you need to do is clear from this thread. Happy 125 per occurrence
Old Dec 6, 06, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by jedison View Post
If the registered keeper doesn't know who's driving his/her car, that's the registered keeper's problem as far as I'm concerned.
Certainly valid as a point of view, incorrect as a matter of law. The law provides only certain instances where the registered keeper is obliged to provide details of the driver at any given time. Helping McDonald's (or their henchmen) track down a motorist who has parked 5 minutes longer than is allowed is not one of them.

Originally Posted by jedison View Post
Bottom line, it's private property. If they don't want to pay the fine, there's no need for them to park there for more than 45 minutes.
Let's be clear. It's not a fine. It is an attempt to extort money from people who do not understand the law or their rights. Have your read the referenced thread? The conduct of BP and their henchmen I believe to be shady (at best). Talk of PCN's and Civil Enforcement is intended to make people think that it is a fine. It isn't. You don't have to pay these things. They are on very dodgy legal ground, as I think is evident from the lack of any proceedigns actually emerging (despite many threats).

As I have set out above, absent a binding contract (very unlikely in this scenario), the landowner can only claim damages for a trespass. A 5 min overstay in a carpark would attract an award of about 25p (if that) and would be commercially nonsensical (both in terms of legal costs and adverse publicity).

If you want to stop people overstaying in a carpark, put up barriers and issue tickets. At least then you'll have a credible basis for arguing that the motorist has agreed to pay the additional charge if parking in excess of the allowed time. But even if you did that, you would still have the problem of identifying the motorist (as opposed to registered keeper).

I'm glad to note that Parliament seems to be reconsidering the whole issue having been presented with the unedifying spectacle of these PCN cowboys.
Old Dec 6, 06, 4:04 am
Original Poster

To get this back on topic, the original people fines were two women who had taken their children out for the day and stopped at McDung for a treat on the way home.

I merely stated that if McDonalds are going to rigidy enforce this waiting restriction, then they need to ensure service is swift enough to allow people to be served and consume their fast-food rubbish within the allotted time span.

The waiting area referred to in an earlier posting at LGW North Terminal was outside Longbridge House - waiting restricted to 20 mins, no return within 40 mins. Since 09/11 The road that services these bays is restricted to Authorised Vehicles Only (those vehicles displaying Airport ID Passes in the windscreen).

In the good old days Heathrow had 20 min bays outside Queens Building and at the back of Terminal 3, but security issues and the need to provide more staff bus pick up points did away with those areas quite a while ago.
Old Dec 6, 06, 4:39 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by bealine View Post
In the good old days Heathrow had 20 min bays outside Queens Building and at the back of Terminal 3, but security issues and the need to provide more staff bus pick up points did away with those areas quite a while ago.
Since when were free-for-20-minutes parking areas outside terminals a "security issue" but charged-at-high-rates parking areas in comparable locations relative to the terminal buildings at BAA airports are somehow, miraculously, not so ??
Old Dec 6, 06, 11:41 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
Since when were free-for-20-minutes parking areas outside terminals a "security issue" but charged-at-high-rates parking areas in comparable locations relative to the terminal buildings at BAA airports are somehow, miraculously, not so ??
obviously the scads of cash from parking charges can help pay for more security staff (eg keeping all the lanes manned) - oops did BAA forget to do that?
Old Dec 7, 06, 2:40 am
Original Poster

http://icsurreyonline.icnetwork.co.u...name_page.html

(Article copied in case icsurreyonline remove it later)

icSurreyOnline logo

Crawley

Mum fined 125 for taking too long to finish McDonald's

Dec 6 2006

FAST food could now be taken literally after a Crawley mum was fined 125 by a McDonald's restaurant because her family took too long finishing their meal.

Mum-of-two Maria Peters, 30, from Felbridge Avenue, in Pound Hill, is the latest to get fined after her visit to the McDonald's Drive Thru at Gatwick's South Terminal was timed on camera.

The multi-national food giant has set a 45-minute maximum stay for customers parking next to the Gatwick restaurant.

Unaware of this rule, when Mrs Peters visited the chain on October 29 at 4pm with 31-year-old husband Scott, 15-month-old daughter Connie and seven-yearold son Ryan, who goes to Meath Green Junior School, in Horley, she stayed for 53 minutes - eight minutes longer.

And on Wednesday last week Mrs Peters got a shock when the 125 fine sent by Civil Enforcement Ltd (CEL) arrived in the post.

Story continues Continue story
ADVERTISEMENT

She said: "I had been there for 53 minutes. I was feeding my children. One of them is only 15 months old, so is not quick at eating.

"I was really angry. I didn't know there were any restrictions - no signs when I went in.

"To be over by a couple of minutes,I was really cross.

"McDonald's head office told me to write a letter to CEL explaining I was there with my children. They weren't very helpful at all, but CEL is just an automated voicemail message."

McDonald's spokesman Alison Purves said: "It is important to McDonald's that all our customers have an opportunity to park in the car park adjacent to our Drive Thru Restaurant at Gatwick Airport.

"To facilitate this,we have been forced to impose time limits on parking.

"This is clearly communicated to customers throughout the car park via large signs.

"In addition, we will be handing customers this information as they are served. As with any new system, there is a review process in place.

"We have already met with the enforcement company to discuss the appeals procedure for local customers.

"Each appeal - which should be made to the enforcement company - will be reviewed and an individual decision made.

"Families who would like to stay longer than the 45 minutes permitted should request this by talking to the manager on duty when they place their order."

She added: "The new car parking system is being well received by our customers, as they can now park near to our restaurant."

Copyright and Trade Mark Notice
owned by or licensed to Trinity Mirror Southern Limited 2006

Search this Thread
Search Engine: