FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   OT _ Gatwick MacDonalds - Warn Your Chauffeurs and Meeters and Greeters! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/632273-ot-_-gatwick-macdonalds-warn-your-chauffeurs-meeters-greeters.html)

WHBM Dec 5, 2006 6:28 am

Presumably this is yet another cost of living in the UK which those with Lithuanian-registered cars manage to evade.

(like Congestion Charge, parking fines, road fund licence, insurance, MOT, etc).

SLF Dec 5, 2006 6:41 am

So we have a problem ... car services need somewhere to wait. Sounds valid.

Why doesn't someone f*****g fix the problem then?

Just a bit of concrete a few miles away ... you could charge an annual fee ... and provide live flight info and a coffee shop...

Hey, us customers might actually benefit?

BOH Dec 5, 2006 7:03 am

Originally Posted by MattUK (Post 6795389)
The times I have gone into the McDonalds and not been able to park because they are full of taxis and other cars with drivers just sat having a coffee or a chat while they wait is really annoying.

Well done McDonalds.

A very brave admission IMHO.....:D

ant_west Dec 5, 2006 9:34 am

For those who want to immerse themselves in the subject, there is another Forum you may want to peruse - those at http://www.pepipoo.com - the website that is "helping the motorist to get justice".

They have a very informative thread on the subject that concerns the BP garage at Gatwick....http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=14193

Kiwi Flyer Dec 5, 2006 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser (Post 6795251)
^

I had an interesting case of this at University. In my first year students are not allowed to keep cars in halls of residence which was fine and I'd left it at home. One morning I found an envelope underneath my door. Was a s**togram from the University and final notice for the payment of a fine due for my car that was illegally parked on one of the roads around the halls. If payment wasn't made bailiffs would be sent round :eek: Payment was due the following day, and the letter had been written about two weeks prior (good old University mail). The letter didn't have a phone number and so I mentioned this on the phone to my father when I called that evening. He wasn't best pleased :D Did some phoning around and it turned out the University (or someone they contract) found out this car was registered to someone with my surname. That was all they went on with this, not the fact my address was 100 miles away from the offending person with the same surname.

Knowledge = Power? God I hope not!

It isnt just private operators that can stuff up in this way. The police erred in fining me for a car I have never owned with registered address in a different city from what I was living in at the time. First I found out about it was arriving home after work to see a notice saying bailiff coming around tomorrow :td: It turns out there was a match on name which then matched on license number. I never was able to convince police it wasn't me - they wanted proof it was someone else! If police can stuff up this way you can be sure private operators will be worse.

Dave Noble Dec 5, 2006 1:35 pm

Surely this is a trivial issue for the chauffeurs. If the max stay is 45 minutes, can't they just drive out of the car park and back in again?

I don't see an issue with McDonalds charging this; they are a fast food restaurant, not a free car park service; if they want to park, then they can happily use the car parks provided

Dave

Jimmie76 Dec 5, 2006 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser (Post 6795251)
^

I had an interesting case of this at University. In my first year students are not allowed to keep cars in halls of residence which was fine and I'd left it at home. One morning I found an envelope underneath my door. Was a s**togram from the University and final notice for the payment of a fine due for my car that was illegally parked on one of the roads around the halls. If payment wasn't made bailiffs would be sent round :eek: Payment was due the following day, and the letter had been written about two weeks prior (good old University mail). The letter didn't have a phone number and so I mentioned this on the phone to my father when I called that evening. He wasn't best pleased :D Did some phoning around and it turned out the University (or someone they contract) found out this car was registered to someone with my surname. That was all they went on with this, not the fact my address was 100 miles away from the offending person with the same surname.

Knowledge = Power? God I hope not!

On a similar vein my halls had a we can keep your deposit for the usual reason (damage etc) but also complaints. Not just local complaints but anyone could complain about you and you would lose your deposit, and possibly your room, as they could also kick you out under this. e.g. If another pax was annoyed by you whilst you were on a plane going to a sunny destination, and knew enough to complain to the uni, you could forfeit. :td:

Parking was another matter and I'm just gratefull that I didn't have a car, as the parking was something else, although I think you registered your car so they could find you easily if needs be.

Originally Posted by SLF
Just a bit of concrete a few miles away ... you could charge an annual fee ... and provide live flight info and a coffee shop...

Sounds like a business someone might like to try.

flyclub Dec 5, 2006 1:42 pm

Having only visited South Terminal to pick people up a handful of times, I must be honest I have popped in for a coffee in this McDonalds. This must have been a year or so ago and I was amazed how many people were asleep in their cars.

In fact I was amazed McDonalds had a car park for their restaurant. It must be a very prime piece of land being so close to the terminal. Amazed it has existed this long anyway.

westers Dec 5, 2006 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by SLF (Post 6795477)

PHX has a free waiting car park with a flight arrivals screen.

http://phoenix.gov/AVIATION/park_trans/stageandgo.html

SLF Dec 5, 2006 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by westers (Post 6798122)

What a great idea ;). Why is it that I can't see BAA wanting to do this ...

Fraser Dec 5, 2006 3:42 pm

There are quite a few of them in the US. Seattle is another that springs to mind. A remarkably simple idea yet I doubt money-hungry BAA will do something that might mean they'll lose out on those short-term parking costs...

WHBM Dec 5, 2006 3:44 pm

Also seems standard on the road approach to German airports.

spotwelder Dec 5, 2006 4:10 pm

Interesting thread

That linked thread was a bit of a monster to get through, but interesting none the less.

What they forgot was that of course BAA are behind some of it, in that BP lease the ground from them in the first place and do not want people to drop in for free anyway. After all, there is an excess of short term parking at North Terminal now anyway, well for those that leave their cars at home in Crawley and take the train/bus (where's my bloody bike!) anyway.

They also missed the ethical trading element and writing to the company auditors to inform them of the trading with extortionists.

Strange though, I always wondered what happened to the now "Judge" from the Sunday Mirror. The things you find out from OT on the BA forum with FT!

jedison Dec 5, 2006 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by The Saint (Post 6794899)
But what they have not considered is that the registered keeper may not have been the driver at the time. Only the driver at the time is liable to potential civil liability. You need legislation to displace that liability onto the registered keeper or to provide a mechanism whereby the registered keeper is obliged to provide the details of the driver at the time of the offence.

So, if you get a note in the post from McGonads claiming a "civil penalty" (there is no such thing), then if you were not the driver at the time (or cannot remember who was driving) you can send them back a letter wishing them luck in tracking that person down. ;)

If the registered keeper doesn't know who's driving his/her car, that's the registered keeper's problem as far as I'm concerned.

Bottom line, it's private property. If they don't want to pay the fine, there's no need for them to park there for more than 45 minutes. They are welcome to seek out the many alternatives offered to them in the free market. Perhaps they could buy a piece of land and use it as their very own parking space.

JPB Dec 5, 2006 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by BahrainLad (Post 6794794)
Surely this is McDonalds property and they can charge what they like for parking? How would you feel if someone came and parked in your front garden whilst avoiding paying car park fees? :confused:

Since my local council introduced resident only parking in all streets around me I quite often find some ****** parked in my drive when I get home.:mad: Even though there is car park just 100m down the road from me.