OT: Dead Pax on BA213 moved to FIRST

Old Dec 4, 06, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
OT: Dead Pax on BA213 moved to FIRST

Daily Mail News Item

Not a very pleasant flight for anyone concerned by the sound of it...
Old Dec 4, 06, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTG + Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Subject matter aside, is Ray Massey a total dribbling moron? Did he type this after a liquid lunch to make even Smirnoff and VC10 Boy wince? Or are the subs at the Daily Mail the useless buffoons? A disgraceful litany of errors in that piece as it's posted right now. I've not even done a proper detailed reading and still spotted at least the following:

Originally Posted by Daily Sub-GCSE English Crap
It meant the First Class passenger in the remaining seats shared their... [one passenger in multiple seats? No, there's a 'their' in there ]

The tragedy happened on BA Boeing 777 Flight 213 which left Heathrow from Boston [Heathrow isn't in Boston. Did it leave Heathrow for Boston, perhaps, Ray? Did it? Hmmm?] at 10.30am carrying more than 200 passengers but details have just emerged [it left at 10.30am today and details have just emerged? If so, that's rather rapid, I'd say. Or did it leave at 10.30am the other week and details have just emerged?]

The crew made an announcement calling for a medical doctor, and the stricken passenger taken into the galley [should there be a 'was' in there, Ray?]

One First [back to a capital 'F' on 'First' now, Ray? Nothing like consistency]

'We were about half way into the flight and getting my head down to sleep [does that even make sense? Perhaps a missing 'I' somewhere, Ray?] when I heard a commotion from behind the curtain in first class [lowercase 'f' back in favour already?].

'There was a call over the loudspeakers for a medical doctor. From where I was sitting towards the back of First [hello 'F' again, welcome back!] Class I was aware of them performing resuscitation techniques behind the curtains as I tried to watch the in-flight movie - Mission Impossible III. [a vital detail in this hard-hitting report, well done for capturing that, Ray]'

'The first [ta-da, lowercase again!] class section was about 80 per cent full.

'Four male stewards came I carrying [I carrying? Is that like I, Claudius? No? Maybe 'in carrying' was what you meant?]'

She added:'The chap's wife came in an sat [short on the letter 'd' on your keyboard by any chance, Ray?]'

BA said the dead man was taken into First Class because business class [mixed case in the same sentence...novel] was full.

The plane had 14 first class seats (and was 80 per cent full), 48 seats in business class, 40 in premium economy (called 'World Traveller [no it isn't, and where's the closing quote mark anyway?]) and 122 in economy.
And I'm a little tipsy and jetlagged myself, ffs! Surely one of the most piss-poor pieces of English (outside some areas of this board ) I've ever had the misfortune to read in 'print'. Absolutely bloody appalling

Oh, and the picture is of NCW not FIRST...
Old Dec 4, 06, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
Originally Posted by G-BOAC View Post
Subject matter aside, is Ray Massey a total dribbling moron? Did he type this after a liquid lunch to make even Smirnoff and VC10 Boy wince? Or are the subs at the Daily Mail the useless buffoons? A disgraceful litany of errors in that piece as it's posted right now. I've not even done a proper detailed reading and still spotted at least the following:

And I'm a little tipsy and jetlagged myself, ffs! Surely one of the most piss-poor pieces of English (outside some areas of this board ) I've ever had the misfortune to read in 'print'. Absolutely bloody appalling

Oh, and the picture is of NCW not FIRST...
Yeah but to be fair (and that's not something I normally say about the DM) the guy did die in Club.
Old Dec 4, 06, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTG + Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jimmie76 View Post
Yeah but to be fair (and that's not something I normally say about the DM) the guy did die in Club.
Well, to not be fair to the DM (which I have no intention of being due to that unforgivably atrocious bit of publishing), I took the 'point' of the 'story' as being more about the move to FIRST than the death in Club...but even leaving that aside, he certainly didn't die in the New Club World cabin pictured, it would have been the 'Deeper Blue' one
Old Dec 4, 06, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
True, but then giving the NGCW a plug can't be a bad thing even if it is in the DM.
Old Dec 5, 06, 4:29 am

Programs: Meh!
The FA paging the "Medical Doctor" must be a BA Board member - obviously concerned over what VC10Boy might do some poor soul suffering a heart attack if he was on the flight.
Old Dec 5, 06, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Halo View Post
The FA paging the "Medical Doctor" must be a BA Board member - obviously concerned over what VC10Boy might do some poor soul suffering a heart attack if he was on the flight.
What are you suggesting....

I'm glad to see on BA.com that BA indemnify all medical staff against litigation that may arise from attempted CPR/life saving treatments. Sadly it's a question that looms large in many out of hospital/workplace encounters - many medical indemity companies recommend doctors not attempt to help in medical emergencies outside their workplace/working hours for fear of litigation. Crazy I know and I don't think many would adhere to this advice but still useful that BA have such a clear policy.

Search this Thread