FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   OT: Virgin to start service to Chicago, doubles Washington, DC (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/632049-ot-virgin-start-service-chicago-doubles-washington-dc.html)

PhilH Dec 4, 2006 12:41 pm

OT: Virgin to start service to Chicago, doubles Washington, DC

Announced today, VS are resuming service to ORD, I think they departed the route after 9/11.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/...n_Atlantic.php

ORD daily service to start 23rd April.

IAD goes double daily on 24th April.

So some increased competition for BA on these routes. Virgin are saying their capacity to the US will increase 15% with these new flights.

The _Banking_Scot Dec 4, 2006 12:55 pm

Hi,

Aircraft will apparently be the A340-300.

Regards

TBS

Flying Doctor Dec 4, 2006 1:06 pm

I've heard vague rumours that they are considering Toronto again but I guess that we will have to wait and see.

Strange that VS are increasing frequency to IAD when BA have just cut one flight!!

As I remember ORD and Toronto were cut post 9/11

ba bob Dec 4, 2006 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by PhilH (Post 6791450)

IAD goes double daily on 24th April.

Great - almost exactly when I needed to fly VS to IAD - what a stroke of luck! :cool:

More Champagne Sir? Dec 4, 2006 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by ba bob (Post 6791612)
Great - almost exactly when I needed to fly VS to IAD - what a stroke of luck! :cool:

Erm, why on earth would you "need to fly VS" :confused: :D

Paging ScottC/Influential: please change ba bob's handle ASAP. It is no longer appropriate :p

ba bob Dec 4, 2006 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir? (Post 6791839)
Paging ScottC/Influential: please change ba bob's handle ASAP. It is no longer appropriate :p

Yes, please do! I would change it if I could! By the way MCS? this is why I 'need' to fly VS. :p

More Champagne Sir? Dec 4, 2006 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by ba bob (Post 6792269)
Yes, please do! I would change it if I could! By the way MCS? this is why I 'need' to fly VS. :p

So that you can eat bad food and strain your neck looking out the window?? ;)

This is why you should 'need' to fly BA :p

Jimmie76 Dec 4, 2006 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by ba bob (Post 6792269)

Ah I see, the need to pay for a seat that doesn't recline properly, in unbreathable (they even infer it on that page you linked to) leather, and an amenity kit that put mean into the word, makes sense :confused:

Swanhunter Dec 4, 2006 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Jimmie76 (Post 6792341)
Ah I see, the need to pay for a seat that doesn't recline properly, in unbreathable (they even infer it on that page you linked to) leather, makes sense :confused:

But it is 6 inches longer and a better bed than NCW. Plus you get a nice comfy duvet and PJ's to help you sleep. Oh, and AVOD too.

Really, it is a good product once you strip away the Beardie hype.

Jimmie76 Dec 4, 2006 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter (Post 6792365)
But it is 6 inches longer and a better bed than NCW. Plus you get a nice comfy duvet and PJ's to help you sleep. Oh, and AVOD too.

Really, it is a good product once you strip away the Beardie hype.

I've only ever tried it at the Business Traveller show and in the 10 mins that I had looking at it, it was reasonable as a bed but the 2 suite I tried that they had on display that had a fault with them. There was a height difference between the back of the seat bit and the (almost rock like) harder surround, which created a ridge which wasn't all that comfortable to sleep on. The staff explained that this wasn't apparent on the actual flying products, and that I wouldn't need a window, as the inflight content was so good.

You are aware they launder the PJ's that are left and repack them? Info thanks to Fraser in this post. That would disturb me but I'm not sure why, I use hotel towels & bathrobes, maybe it's the length of time in contact with your skin, I don't know.

I know people off FT who have done VS trips and not found it too bad, so it can't be that bad in the air.

Swanhunter Dec 4, 2006 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Jimmie76 (Post 6792603)
I've only ever tried it at the Business Traveller show and in the 10 mins that I had looking at it, it was reasonable as a bed but the 2 suite I tried that they had on display that had a fault with them. There was a height difference between the back of the seat bit and the (almost rock like) harder surround, which created a ridge which wasn't all that comfortable to sleep on. The staff explained that this wasn't apparent on the actual flying products, and that I wouldn't need a window, as the inflight content was so good.

You are aware they launder the PJ's that are left and repack them? Info thanks to Fraser in this post. That would disturb me but I'm not sure why, I use hotel towels & bathrobes, maybe it's the length of time in contact with your skin, I don't know.

I know people off FT who have done VS trips and not found it too bad, so it can't be that bad in the air.

The staff were correct - the fault isn't apparant on the flying product. I can understand some might miss the view out of the window. personally I am not that bothered as I am normally sleeping, working, thinking or using the IFE.

If the PJ's have been laundered, I have no hesitation in using them. A firm believer that a little bacteria helps your immune system. ;)

terpfan101 Dec 5, 2006 1:25 am

Originally Posted by Flying Doctor (Post 6791598)
Strange that VS are increasing frequency to IAD when BA have just cut one flight!!

BA cuts the early morning flight for IAD each winter and bring it back for the summer, when demand is higher.

timthorn Dec 5, 2006 6:26 am

Originally Posted by PhilH (Post 6791450)
Announced today, VS are resuming service to ORD

Blast, there goes one of my wheezes for getting around work's VS policy. :(