FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   O/T : Oakham, Rutland - Hotel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/631902-o-t-oakham-rutland-hotel.html)

dewsburyborn Dec 4, 06 7:03 am

O/T : Oakham, Rutland - Hotel

Sorry to be O/T here, but this is really aimed at UK FTers....

I need a room in or very near to Oakland for a yet-to-be-determined Friday in January 2007.

I am presently looking at The Whipper-In and Whitwell Hotel (which gets flamed in the only review on Trip Advisor)

Does anyone have any recomms please ? - and also for dining in/around Oakham (looking for an alternative to the excellent Olive Branch, Clipsham)

Thanks.

jaguarpig Dec 4, 06 8:16 am

Hambleton Hall it ain't cheap but is very good

Pyeinthesky Dec 4, 06 8:17 am

Originally Posted by jaguarpig (Post 6789567)

I stayed there, great food and lovely secluded hotel

dewsburyborn Dec 4, 06 9:35 am

Originally Posted by jaguarpig (Post 6789567)

Thanks for the suggestion, and the website does look very good.

Mine is more of an overnite pit-stop which I don't feel would do the place ( or the tariff ! ) full justice- but have bookmarked the site for a more suitable occasion.

I just also came up with The Old Plough in Braunston - anyone know this place ?

tom139 Dec 4, 06 10:47 am

I definately recommend Hambleton Hall too. Excellent food!

madison8 Dec 4, 06 4:15 pm

I've stayed about 30 nights at The Whipper-In about 8 years ago. It was OK but switched over to a small [email protected] which was more comfortable. If you stay at The Whipper-In make sure the next morning is not Market day. They start setting up at about 5 in the morning and it is extremely loud!!

I have been to the Old Plough it had great food and drink. Did not stay there since I was not driving and had to be within walking distance.

Gav678 Dec 5, 06 12:43 am

Been to the whipper-Inn in the last year and it has excellent food and rustic charm. If your staying on a Friday night expect to be woken early on Saturday as your right next to the market.....

Gavin

Mycroft Dec 5, 06 11:19 am

I had the same dilemma in the summer. 4 of us were learning to sail on Rutland Water and wanted self catering - opted for Manor Farm Barns in Wing, a beautiful village about 3 miles from Oakham.

The Barns are conversions, with 2 double bedrooms and a smaller rooms with 2 single beds (but not so nich), all in a lovely location. Everything was a good standard and was about 70 per night for the whole unit.

Someone called Lyndon helped us: [email protected]

They had a website, but I can't find it now.

Beautiful part of the world - whether or not you stay at Hambleton Hall, the restaurant is fantastic.

M

flyingbee Dec 5, 06 11:38 am

Barnsdale Lodge, a hotel and restaurant is just outside of Oakham might be worth a look. I went there for lunch a few times.

I also remember the whipper inn to be good, but yes it is right next to the market square.

koksy Dec 5, 06 1:42 pm

I can recommend the Kings Arms in Wing near Oakham. A friend of mine is the leaseholder. Its a beautiful little country pub with proper a la carte restaurant and hotel rooms. The rooms are basic by international hotel standards but cosy. Go for the Granary suite if its available.

www.thekingsarms-wing.co.uk