No flames - just need to understand...

Old Dec 3, 06, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

No flames - just need to understand...

Hi, one of those lurkers turned posters here...

I need to travel EDI-ORD return in June next year. I've been searching through this forum, and my head is buzzing. Assuming I wish to travel a bit further forward than normal, and I've got a few BA miles in the bag, what do I do?

1) WT+ then upgrade to NCW - about 1200 I reckon +25K miles
2) WT then upgrade WT+ about ?600 and the same miles?
3) Find a cunning route that does this a bit cheaper?

NCW looks a league ahead of WT+, but I've never had the cash or opportunity so far - hopefully next summer. Is the extra money really worth it (if it's your own money!)

All hot tips from the masters of this mile-juggling lark greatly appreciated. Or directions to a single posting that explains it all in a lucent, coherent and single-syllable format for us thickies!
Old Dec 3, 06, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Welcome to Flyertalk!

I would suggest option 1. Should cost about GBP800 exEUR max.

Alone or with other/s? And do you have any status?

Try THE ULTIMATE GUIDE sticky at the top of the Board for exEUR options. Off to bed now, but others insomniacs will assist!
Old Dec 3, 06, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Travelling alone. I'm very very blue status - I don't think this helps!

Can't find an 800 WT+ fare to upgrade though...best I got on ba.com was 1260 tonight.
Old Dec 3, 06, 6:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCRC, TK*G, FB G, HHH D, SPG P.
In June, there is availability in Club for redemptions on the outbound every Tue/Wed/Thurs/Fri and also the first 3 Saturdays of the month. Coming back there's a lot of availability, but its a bit more scattered.

Using the method described in this thread, if you could position yourself to Helsinki or Budapest, you could get the flights in WT+ for about 660 and then upgrade to Club using 25,000 miles.

Oh, and welcome to FT Fourier!!
Old Dec 3, 06, 7:01 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Travelling alone. I'm very very blue status - I don't think this helps!

Can't find an 800 WT+ fare to upgrade though...best I got on ba.com was 1260 tonight.
What dates?

Just tried 9 - 16 june
FRA 717
DUS 713
AMS 862
CDG 875
All +25000 miles

Also HEL 682 + 32500
BUD 669 + 30000

Hope this is helpfull

Chris

Last edited by highpeaklad; Dec 3, 06 at 7:06 pm Reason: updated
Old Dec 3, 06, 8:58 pm

I just can not believe that it is nearly over two hours since the OP and Raffles has not yet chimed in with the old multiple bmi credit card scheme!!!

In the meantime, MCS? kindly knocked this together which explains it all rather nicely.
Old Dec 3, 06, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by TEX277 View Post
I just can not believe that it is nearly over two hours since the OP and Raffles has not yet chimed in with the old multiple bmi credit card scheme!!!
Oh I get it! There's this thing called 'time difference' and although it is only 19:14 here in Vegas back home it must be 03:14. A time by which all but the most worryingly addicted FTers are tucked up in bed.
Old Dec 4, 06, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by TEX277 View Post
Oh I get it! There's this thing called 'time difference' and although it is only 19:14 here in Vegas back home it must be 03:14. A time by which all but the most worryingly addicted FTers are tucked up in bed.
05.14 in Cape Town, but I was still in bed!

Definitely do the WT+ to CW upgrade. For 700-800 quid its a steal. A couple of points to remember:

a) if you do a stopover in London on the way, it will usually add 150 quid or so to the fare. It is therefore a lot cheaper to go FRA-LHR-XXX in one go.

b) however, BA treats a stopover as a gap of more than 24 hours. You could, therefore, fly in from FRA to land at 7pm at night, go home for some sleep, and then return to LHR the next day for, say, a 5pm flight without incurring the stopover charge.

The BMI thing TEX277 is referring to involves the 20,000 free BMI miles you get with the BMI credit card, which is nearly enough for an economy flight to the US and only 12,000 quid of spending short of a business class return. But you can read all about that on the BMI board.
Old Dec 4, 06, 1:31 am

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
But also remember that some points of start are exempt from the 150 stopover tax. I did this very jounrey last summer, starting in ARN (stockholm) in Feb, did the LON-ORD-ORD bit in June / July and then 'returned' to ARN in November.

Also worth knowing that the pricing can be from the first flight, so I got the winter prices, but also note that the flexibility in your ticket will evaporate as soon as you take the first flight, so make sure of your dates if doing an extended stopover.

Let us know how you get on....

(Oh, and 7:30 here in UK )
Old Dec 4, 06, 2:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

I'd like to add a warm welcome to Fourier.

Running through your options in reverse order:

I would think carefully about option three. The fares quoted for ex FRA, CDG and AMS are fantastic compared with ex LHR but not worth the hassle in my view. You'll need to factor in the cost of positioning flights and perhaps an additional nights stay at an airport hotel. Any benefit gained to your mind and well being by travelling Club World to ORD will progressively wilt away on the return as you endure multiple connections and short haul sectors. Believe me, you will arrive back in EDI in just a wretched state as if you travelled WT across the atlantic.

Upgrading from WT to WT+. Not possible on a 600 fare. The underlying ticket needs to be semi or fully flexible to be eligible for MFU.

I would recommend your first option but wait until the end of the month before booking. I'd expect the EDI-ORD fare to drop to 900-950 during the World Offers sale. Expectation based on a complete through booking but further savings inevitable should you choose to book domestic and transatlantic tickets separately. Usual caveat applies - allow plenty of time for LHR connection.
Old Dec 4, 06, 2:38 am

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
Would all the London/South East based FT'ers please remember that for those in the regions (especially Scotland), ex-EU flights are less attrative as the extra costs and time involved reduces the attractiveness of the fares substantially.

The OP is looking to start in EDI. Doing EDI-LON-AMS/HEL/XXX for the outbound and then having to buy a LON-EDI to get home again would eliminate a huge chunk of the savings. The additional time spent travelling would also be a major off putting factor.

Last edited by Gaza; Dec 4, 06 at 3:27 am
Old Dec 4, 06, 3:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by Gaza View Post
Doing EDI-LON-AMS/HEL/XXX for the outbound and then having to buy a LON-EDI to get home again would eliminate a huge chunk of the savings. The additional time spent travelling would also be a major off putting factor.
Can't the OP do, say, EDI - BRU/AMS etc directly and avoid this?
Old Dec 4, 06, 4:53 am

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
Originally Posted by srbrenna View Post
Can't the OP do, say, EDI - BRU/AMS etc directly and avoid this?
They could but EDI-BRU/AMS-LHR-ORD-LHR-AMS/BRU-EDI is a lot of flying for marginal savings (factoring in the cost of getting to/from either place). The risk of a mis connect is greater and would have to be built in to the travel plans extending the overall time even more. As the primary driver seems to be comfort rather than Miles or TP earning then the case for an ex-EU looks more and more rocky.
Old Dec 4, 06, 5:32 am

Programs: BA
Welcome to FT Fourier!
Old Dec 4, 06, 5:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gaza View Post
the case for an ex-EU looks more and more rocky.

I am not so sure - if indeed you do take weekend breaks in Europe anyway, and are prepared for the additional costs of a long stopover as the cost of an additional two weekends away (at least one way each weekend in CE) then it becomes more attractive.

The OP should note that there are some great deals WT+ MFU exMAN to NYC, which would simplify the connections, and also consider www.maxjet.com (WAS, NYC, LAS) and silverjet when that starts up next year.

Search this Thread