FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Why are Gatwick 737s so filthy? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/631668-why-gatwick-737s-so-filthy.html)

BahrainLad Dec 3, 2006 12:24 pm

Why are Gatwick 737s so filthy?

G-BUSB - The oldest A320 - Delivered April 14th, 1988.
G-DOCA - The oldest 737 - Delivered October 21st, 1991.

Three and a half years difference, and 18.5 years later....

G-BUSB - Quite sparkly inside.
G-DOCA - Flying public convenience.

:confused:

AJLondon Dec 3, 2006 12:30 pm

Was it G-DOCA that brought the FTers home from SZG today?

And if so, was the "Flying public convenience" description more applicable before or after the flight was over? ;)

G-BOAC Dec 3, 2006 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by AJLondon (Post 6785683)
And if so, was the "Flying public convenience" description more applicable before or after the flight was over? ;)

The convenience wasn't as convenient as it could have been...a certain FTer :o in need of a little, ahem, Monopole relief excercise had a minor altercation as he jumped the queue of 4 bloody ET pax who had congregated at the CE bog :mad: Shame really - the crew were lovely but did nothing to prevent a load of ET people coming forward through CE (on the outbound, an interloper was sent packing!). As always, simple inconsistencies in basic product delivery which make a big difference :(

krug Dec 3, 2006 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by BahrainLad (Post 6785663)
G-DOCA - Flying public convenience.

:confused:

VC10Boy and "Mark" possibly got jiggy with it in that aircraft. :confused:

terpfan101 Dec 3, 2006 12:39 pm

but aren't some of the Gatwick 737's the 500 variant and are only 5-6 years old? Maybe I'm thinking of something else. :confused:

BahrainLad Dec 3, 2006 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by krug (Post 6785706)
VC10Boy and "Mark" possibly got jiggy with it in that aircraft. :confused:

Judging by the viscosity of the substance caked to the interior wall next to 5F today, a quite possible scenario.

terpfan101, most of the LGW '37s are -400 models. However the -300 and -500 (inherited from Cityflyer or Maersk) are just as ropey.

AJ it was DOCW today - even less of an excuse!!

flyclub Dec 3, 2006 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by BahrainLad (Post 6785732)
Judging by the viscosity of the substance caked to the interior wall next to 5F today, a quite possible scenario.

Needless to say you should have been sitting on the A + C side....;)

terpfan101 Dec 3, 2006 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by BahrainLad (Post 6785732)

terpfan101, most of the LGW '37s are -400 models. However the -300 and -500 (inherited from Cityflyer or Maersk) are just as ropey.

AJ it was DOCW today - even less of an excuse!!

Yes, just checked and my flight AMS-LGW is on a 737-500. Hopefully its not disgusting. Had I known this complaint when I booked, I may have gone for LHR instead. Oh well.

BahrainLad Dec 3, 2006 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by flyclub (Post 6785779)
Needless to say you should have been sitting on the A + C side....;)

Why? When you have the entire row to yourself?

flyclub Dec 3, 2006 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by BahrainLad (Post 6785894)
Why? When you have the entire row to yourself?

Very true...there is always that! :)

toulousebloke Dec 3, 2006 2:08 pm

... Because the maintenance and cleaning staff are scared to be irradiated by unknown substances... :rolleyes:

I am kidding but these Boeings are a shame... with seats that cannot hold in the upright position: I remember Matthew, a friendly cabin crew, asking me whether my seat was already as upright as possible... Yes it was! but it would go down as soon as I'd rest my back on it...!

They should switch to Airbus :-)
I hate Easyjet but they aircrafts are much nicer... excepted for the horrible orange color everywhere in the cabin!

lgw29 Dec 4, 2006 1:51 am

please please please write in to say how bad you found the 737 we as crew keep saying it to the management but they do nothing maybe if u all write in something will be done

PUCCI GALORE Dec 4, 2006 1:56 am

They are foul, filthy, and disgusting. Complain in droves. They had a blitz on fixing the lavs last year (didn't those poor sad 737-500s come from Dan Air?). They are absolutely clapped out. I think that they are a health hazard - and that is where we expect the people serving our meals to wash their hands/

On the ground the Council would have shut them down.

Digusting.

lgw29 Dec 4, 2006 1:59 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 6788834)
(didn't those poor sad 737-500s come from Dan Air?). They are absolutely clapped out. I think that they are a health hazard - and that is where we expect the people serving our meals to wash their hands/

On the ground the Council would have shut them down.

Digusting.

the dan air 737's went a few years ago these are the ba ones from lhr

astralclouds Dec 4, 2006 2:22 am

Next time you are sitting in 2A on an LGW 737-436, take a peek behind the foam rubber padding that surrounds the wardrobe unit - the window that is hidden is absolutely caked in grease, grime and probably some other unmentionable substances. I've tried this on at least 3 occasions now and seen the same level of degradation. You can't really see it whilst standing on the pier/steps outside.