When do I get miles on a miles redemption ticket?

Old Dec 1, 06, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
When do I get miles on a miles redemption ticket?

I searched, I really did…
I know that as a Gold card holder I have access to a larger number of reward seats in Economy.
I also know that sometimes I get miles back even for these tickets.
Does anyone know exactly when I get miles back on miles tickets? If say, the only availability left is for Gold card holders (if I try and check availability through a Blue account the seats are not available, but they are when I check through my account) does this mean that these seats come from a revenue bucket and therefore I will get miles back on them?
And what about Part miles part cash, do the same rules apply?
Old Dec 1, 06, 6:16 am

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
Originally Posted by clubman View Post
does this mean that these seats come from a revenue bucket and therefore I will get miles back on them?
No. They convert V to award booking class. I've never had miles in this scenario.

And what about Part miles part cash, do the same rules apply?
No Miles for Cash and Miles bookings.
Old Dec 1, 06, 6:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
You will only get miles back if you MFU. In that case you will get miles (and TPs) for the original cabin booked.
Old Dec 1, 06, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gaza View Post
No. They convert V to award booking class. I've never had miles in this scenario. .
sorry but you are wrong.
Happened to me before, and I have a current miles booking showing I will earn miles on it.

Originally Posted by Gaza View Post
No Miles for Cash and Miles bookings.
My question was not whether in general you get miles for a PCPM booking.
Obviously in normal circumstances you don't as this is considered a miles booking.
My question was relating to the scenario I mentioned.
Old Dec 1, 06, 6:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
sorry but you are wrong.
Happened to me before, and I have a current miles booking showing I will earn miles on it.
Well I'm sure that is not meant to happen.

Are you able to turn water into wine as well?
Old Dec 1, 06, 6:44 am

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
sorry but you are wrong.
I'm not wrong. Officially you do not get Miles in the scenario you describe. If you have in the past it has been the result of a system slip-up and not intentional. One of the many system quirks that reward when they shouldn't.

My question was not whether in general you get miles for a PCPM booking. Obviously in normal circumstances you don't as this is considered a miles booking. My question was relating to the scenario I mentioned.
See response above.
Old Dec 1, 06, 6:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
I too have a miles booking that is showing I will earn miles - actually it's not even my booking, it's a 2-4-1 on my partner's amex .. hmmm.
Old Dec 1, 06, 6:46 am
SLF

Programs: Various
sorry but you are wrong.
If you're unhappy, please post your PNR and I'm sure someone in BA will fix it for you. Basically, if you earn some this way then take it as a bonus. It's not supposed to happen. Note that there is also a difference between MMB indicating you'll earn miles, and them subsequently posting to your account. The latter event is probably more interesting and noteworthy than the former.
Old Dec 1, 06, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SLF View Post
If you're unhappy, please post your PNR and I'm sure someone in BA will fix it for you. Basically, if you earn some this way then take it as a bonus. It's not supposed to happen. Note that there is also a difference between MMB indicating you'll earn miles, and them subsequently posting to your account. The latter event is probably more interesting and noteworthy than the former.
Unhappy? not at all...
I really didn't mean to turn this thread into a "how come I got miles/tier points for a flight never taken" sort of thread.
I just thought that what I was talking about was a known issue, and I am sure it’s been discussed sometime in the past. (although could not find anything).
Old Dec 1, 06, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Sure this wasn't an Air Miles (as opposed to BA Miles) booking? An Air Miles booking will earn miles.

Alternatively, I suppose its not impossible that the 'extra' Gold economy seats could come from the bottom revenue bucket, which could is some circumstances trigger miles.

Search this Thread