Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OTish: Virtual communities as important as real-world ones

Old Dec 1, 06, 3:07 am
Original Poster

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6158935.stm
Old Dec 1, 06, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG

This is the only place where I can talk about my problems!

(I am actually being relatively serious. I was at Ms Raffles' office Christmas Party last night, and she banned me from telling anyone I was flying to Cape Town First Class tonight for the weekend! I am also banned from discussing our holiday flights with any of her friends! Sadly I blew it when they held a raffle where the prize was 2 inter-Europe economy flights, and she heard me tell my neighbour that that wasn't my idea of a prize!)
Old Dec 1, 06, 3:51 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Priority Club Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Raffles you never cease to amuse me. *pictures you talking about BA First flights at holiday parties*

thanks for your help earlier. I'm gonna hit the hay. have a good day all.
Old Dec 1, 06, 4:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
They've only met an average of 1.6 people in real life?

They aren't trying very hard
Old Dec 1, 06, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
I had the following conversation last week:

Housemate: So where are you going next March?
PhilH: Asia, for two weeks.
Housemate: Oh wow. Whereabouts?
PhilH: Well, I'm flying to Bangkok and then Beijing, Tokyo, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur.
Ms PhilH: What? You won't get to see any of them.
Housemate: Don't worry, he'll spend all his time flying. He likes that.
Ms PhilH: You're sad.
PhilH: But. All the flying is in First class...for example I've got Tokyo to Singapore in First class on Singapore Airlines in the 747 for 15k bmi miles and 136. That's an absolute bargain.
Ms PhilH & Housemate:

It's unbelievably refreshing to come on here and talk the language that we all understand without getting that reaction!
Old Dec 1, 06, 5:16 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
I don't know why this report is such a surprise - surely the point of online communities is that you KNOW you are interacting with people who (broadly) share your viewpoint.

I sympathise with Phil - I have lost count of the number of people who say 'how can you afford to fly business/FIRST class all the time ?'. I start to explain, then they say something along the lines of 'oh, I couldn't be bothered to do all that'.

BAH - who's excited about FIRST to JFK tomorrow...Muriel has been told she's got to be on Best Behaviour and no antics with the Visa Waiver form, please.
Old Dec 1, 06, 5:25 am

Its so true.

More often then not, places like this site are the only time you can say something like "Im heading to BKK to fly on a 747 in J then coming back on a 777 straight away" with out getting either a weird look, or the person just laughing at you.
Old Dec 1, 06, 5:38 am

I generally avoid talking about flying outside this forum... if you talk about flyign business/first class to most people, they think you are insanely rich, completely mad or very wasteful... none of them are good things for your friend's to think about you!

Internet forums are a great place to discuss interests with people who understand and want to talk about the same things - great knowledge sharing too: have gained a lot from reading these boards

Boo
Old Dec 1, 06, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by Boo Boo Too View Post
I generally avoid talking about flying outside this forum... if you talk about flyign business/first class to most people, they think you are insanely rich, completely mad or very wasteful... none of them are good things for your friend's to think about you!
Absolutely - mentioned travelling Club to one couple once and they've hardly ever spoken to us again.
Old Dec 1, 06, 7:29 am

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
Instant conversation stopper -

"Well if work won't fly me in business class then I'm not going - I don't fly in economy if I'm paying myself, so why should I if the company is paying. I haven't crossed the pond in an economy seat for five years"

Search this Thread