MFU Segments

Old Nov 30, 06, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood/Marriott Plat, Others of little note
MFU Segments

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find it. It's definitely not in the "ultimate" upgrade guide.

I know that one can upgrade one way of a R/T where only one way has availability (and only if both ways are not available) for half of the full miles charge for upgrade. Is it possible to do something similar with segments? For example, I'll be flying SFO-LHR-JNB in January, and it looks like it's really difficult to find a day when the SFO-LHR and LHR-JNB segments both have availability. Could I upgrade a segment, say SFO-LHR, and then wait around to see if LHR-JNB becomes available? It occurs to me that I might have to pay a few more miles, but it would be better than no upgrade at all.

The main question, though, is whether it's possible to upgrade one segment when only one segment is available.

Thanks.
Old Nov 30, 06, 4:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Priority Club Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
interesting question. I've never seen this mentioned here either. I would imagine its not possible to do as the two segments book as one flight under one fare. But I guess its possible.

Hopefully some others will know.
Old Dec 1, 06, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by terpfan101 View Post
interesting question. I've never seen this mentioned here either. I would imagine its not possible to do as the two segments book as one flight under one fare. But I guess its possible.

Hopefully some others will know.
Not interesting to anybody else, I guess.
Old Dec 1, 06, 1:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Priority Club Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jedison View Post
Not interesting to anybody else, I guess.
apparantly not! Unless nobody knows the answer to this question.
Old Dec 1, 06, 3:12 pm
PD

I was able to do this recently, from WT+ to CW, on the following itinerary, but it wasn't easy: Ewr-LHR-ARN and return. Only the LHR-EWR segment was available for MFU. I had telephoned the Executive Club in advance of the booking to make sure this was possible, and was assured that it was. I then went ahead and booked online, and called for the MFU. After one hour on the phone, I was told it would be done. I kept checking the booking and after about two weeks when the booking was still showing WT+, I called again. This time I was on the phone "only" about 20 minutes, and persuaded the agent to get a supervisor. The next day the booking showed CW on the LHR-EWR segment.

If you do a search on the BA website for "MFU", the following language will appear. I had to quote this to the agent:

"If I have a return ticket, can I choose to use Miles for Upgrade on a one-way basis only?
No, your whole itinerary must be upgraded.
The only exception to this would be, if you wanted to upgrade the entire journey but the higher class of travel was only available on one sector.
In this instance you would be allowed to upgrade on the one sector available and would be charged half of the BA Miles required for a return journey."

So, yes, it can be done; just be persistent.
Old Dec 1, 06, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PD View Post
I was able to do this recently, from WT+ to CW, on the following itinerary, but it wasn't easy: Ewr-LHR-ARN and return. Only the LHR-EWR segment was available for MFU. I had telephoned the Executive Club in advance of the booking to make sure this was possible, and was assured that it was. I then went ahead and booked online, and called for the MFU. After one hour on the phone, I was told it would be done. I kept checking the booking and after about two weeks when the booking was still showing WT+, I called again. This time I was on the phone "only" about 20 minutes, and persuaded the agent to get a supervisor. The next day the booking showed CW on the LHR-EWR segment.

If you do a search on the BA website for "MFU", the following language will appear. I had to quote this to the agent:

"If I have a return ticket, can I choose to use Miles for Upgrade on a one-way basis only?
The only exception to this would be, if you wanted to upgrade the entire journey but the higher class of travel was only available on one sector.
In this instance you would be allowed to upgrade on the one sector available and would be charged half of the BA Miles required for a return journey."

Thanks. When you upgraded did they charge you a fraction of the miles that would be required EWR-ARN or did they charge you miles as though it was a standalone EWR-LHR flight?
Old Dec 3, 06, 11:19 am
PD

Originally Posted by jedison View Post
Thanks. When you upgraded did they charge you a fraction of the miles that would be required EWR-ARN or did they charge you miles as though it was a standalone EWR-LHR flight?
They charged 12,500 miles, same as if it had been just LHR-EWR. If award availability opens up on the ARN-LHR segment, it will be interesting to see how they handle it. If it happens (which I doubt) I'll post.
Old Dec 3, 06, 12:20 pm

Programs: aa lifetime platinum
Unhappy

They charged 12,500 miles, same as if it had been just LHR-EWR. If award availability opens up on the ARN-LHR segment, it will be interesting to se agent e how they handle it. If it happens (which I doubt) I'll post.

i booked a flight which I knew had mfu availability in WT+ both ways then immediately called executive club to upgrade this to nCW. I did this because it was an open jaw lax-lhr-phx which cannot be mfu'd online. The agent said that since this was a change to an already issued ticket the change fee would apply. WHAT??????? just to upgrade via mfu?????
IS THIS A NEW POLICY?
Old Dec 3, 06, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marbles dad View Post

i booked a flight which I knew had mfu availability in WT+ both ways then immediately called executive club to upgrade this to nCW. I did this because it was an open jaw lax-lhr-phx which cannot be mfu'd online. The agent said that since this was a change to an already issued ticket the change fee would apply. WHAT??????? just to upgrade via mfu?????
IS THIS A NEW POLICY?
I got this once before (see earlier thread) and I insisted they talk to a supervisor and after 20 minutes or so they figured out that no change fee applies when you're using MFU. I wasn't even talking to India.
Old Dec 4, 06, 1:07 pm
PD

I was not charged a change fee; it wasn't even mentioned.
Old Dec 4, 06, 1:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; SPG Platinum

PD - can you shed any light as to exactly where this language is hidden - when I searched I didn't get any hits for MFU. The only reason I ask is that a friend was trying to MFU a regular WTP return to Club on the outbound leg only. The agent (in Jacksonville) said that it could only be done on both legs. As there was no MFU availability on the outbound leg the agent said the only way to do it was to change to a flight that had MFU availability (at a cost - change fee plus fare difference!) and upgrade on both legs. Seems a bit extreme but the Ts and C's that I can find on MFUs state that one way MFUs are only available on single tickets:

"3. One way upgrades are only allowed on one way bookings."

This language can be found if you go to the "Using BA miles" link then to the "Book and Upgrade with BA Miles" tab and then click on "Miles for Upgrade conditions of use" link.
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_gb
Old Dec 5, 06, 11:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Deep Vein Eddie View Post
PD - can you shed any light as to exactly where this language is hidden - when I searched I didn't get any hits for MFU. The only reason I ask is that a friend was trying to MFU a regular WTP return to Club on the outbound leg only. The agent (in Jacksonville) said that it could only be done on both legs. As there was no MFU availability on the outbound leg the agent said the only way to do it was to change to a flight that had MFU availability (at a cost - change fee plus fare difference!) and upgrade on both legs. Seems a bit extreme but the Ts and C's that I can find on MFUs state that one way MFUs are only available on single tickets:

"3. One way upgrades are only allowed on one way bookings."

This language can be found if you go to the "Using BA miles" link then to the "Book and Upgrade with BA Miles" tab and then click on "Miles for Upgrade conditions of use" link.
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_gb

Here is the link: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...es+for+upgrade

It came up when searching under "miles for upgrade" in the search box on ba.com when logged in with your BAEC number.
Old Dec 5, 06, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marbles dad View Post

IS THIS A NEW POLICY?
When I get this sort of thing from United customer "service" (especially when I get India) I just hang up and call again until I get somebody who actually knows what they're talking about.
Old Dec 17, 06, 2:03 pm
PD

This is an update to my earlier post about doing an MFU from WT+ to CW on EWR-LHR-ARN and return. Only the LHR-EWR sector was available at the time of booking. This morning the EWR-LHR sector became available. I immediately telephoned for the upgrade, only to be told that it could not be done because the LHR-ARN sector was not available. I told the agent I had done it before on this very itinerary and quoted the language from the website. She gave me the astounding information that EWR-LHR-ARN is one sector! I persisted and she finally got to a supervisor, who agreed to allow the upgrade. The agent told me I was “blessed.” I thanked her politely, but I don’t believe I am “blessed” to receive something that I am entitled to under the Executive Club rules. I might add that the entire transaction took 45 minutes, most of which were spent waiting for the agent to get to a supervisor. Of course, as another poster recently pointed out, this is a fantastic use of miles, possibly the best bargain out there, and I won’t begrudge all the time I spent getting this upgrade when I am sitting in CW thinking how I could have been in WT+.

As an interesting aside, when I checked the booking online later, I noticed that the ARN-LHR sector also had been upgraded. This must have been done automatically when award seats opened up. I wasn’t notified, but I’m not complaining!
Old Dec 17, 06, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA 1P, CO Plat, SPG Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold

I think the wording is poor in the sense that it refers to "one sector" as being "one way of a return ticket". In particular considering the last sentence, which refers to "one sector" and "half of the BA miles required for a return journey".

And the reply is in the context of the question about the possibility of one-way upgrades, the question doesn't even refer to single sector upgrades. That makes me believe that whoever wrote up this answer (incorrectly) assumed that "one sector" is the same as "one way of the return journey". Somehow it seems they haven't considered the possibility of a journey with a connection, making the one way multi-sector.

So I'd suggest that it is not possible to only upgrade a single sector - you'll need to upgrade the entire return trip, and the only exception if this isn't possible is to upgrade just one way of the return trip.

Search this Thread