redemption- ideas for October?

Old Nov 30, 06, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA silver
redemption- ideas for October?

Close to redeeming and I am wondering where to go to with this one. In other Octobers I have been to Barbados, Rio and New Orleans/Memphis. I'd like somewhere warm but do like to do something apart from lay around a pool. Which destination would you pick?
Old Nov 30, 06, 7:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by fiona View Post

Close to redeeming and I am wondering where to go to with this one. In other Octobers I have been to Barbados, Rio and New Orleans/Memphis. I'd like somewhere warm but do like to do something apart from lay around a pool. Which destination would you pick?
Egypt.
Old Nov 30, 06, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Somewhere exotic?

Tehran maybe?
Old Nov 30, 06, 7:12 am

A bit predictable from me but go to South Africa! It is starting to warm up, though it will still be chilly at night, but it is a fantastic time of year for a) safari and b) whale watching.
Old Nov 30, 06, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Mexico or Brasil.

BAH
Old Nov 30, 06, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA silver
Egypt- I would love to go but husband won't go. Tehran- not sure if I want it THAT exotic! South Africa- yes, I would love to go there and will check availability when I get my redemption voucher, but I'll bet there won't be any . Have tried before and I think you need to redeem as soon as the dates become available.Thought about combining Cape Town with Durban. Thing is with redemptions I think you need a few possibles ready.
edit to add
BAH- Mexico - yes that might be an idea. We were in Rio last year in October( second time there)- we love Rio but the weather was a bit hit and miss then and even the siteseeing is weather dependant.
Old Nov 30, 06, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=540451 is the tale of my holiday in Mexico - excellent.
Old Nov 30, 06, 7:52 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
I can recommend Mexico (and second Raffles on this as I know he's a Mexico Champion).

I have been a couple of times and I loved it - it's an inexpensive destination, great food, lovely weather and lots to see if you're a 'culture vulture'. If you don't already speak Spanish it is a good to learn some as I found when you are away from Mexico City it's hit and miss at best as to whether you can find someone who does speak English.

I had the most divine hot chocolate while I was there which I've tried in vain to reproduce at home over the years - I got close by adding nutmeg and cinnamon to the mix but it still wasn't the same.

BAH
Old Nov 30, 06, 7:57 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by fiona View Post
BAH- Mexico - yes that might be an idea. We were in Rio last year in October( second time there)- we love Rio but the weather was a bit hit and miss then and even the siteseeing is weather dependant.
Rather than going to Rio why not stop in Sao Paulo and get a Gol flight up to Salvador - will cost you about 100 each return and you'll get a very different holiday. I realise the extra 3 hour backtrack may not be to your taste though.

James
Old Nov 30, 06, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=540451 is the tale of my holiday in Mexico - excellent.
Interesting but isn't Oaxaca no-go at the moment - would that make the trip less attractive all things considered?

From the FCO website:

We advise against all but essential travel to Oaxaca City. Since May 2006, there have been protests in the city of Oaxaca, some of which have turned violent. Since 28 October 2006, federal police have been in the city. There was increased violence over the weekend 25 - 26 November 2006. Several buildings were set alight, including the Supreme Court of Justice in Oaxaca and a number of hotels. Dozens of people were injured in the clashes. The situation remains tense with the potential for further violent incidents. You should see the Political Situation section of this advice for more details.
Old Nov 30, 06, 9:26 am

Programs: Aegean Airlines Gold, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Malaysian
I just did Mauritius - Taj Exotica is very nice
Old Nov 30, 06, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Priority Club Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I suggest Phoenix, Arizona. In October, the weather isn't too hot, it's really nice. Checking the average temperature for then and 16C is the low 31C the high. Little to no rain. I've been in November and it was nice.

You'd stay in Scottsdale, Arizona which is considered "a satellite city of Phoenix in Maricopa County, Arizona, USA. Named by the New York Times as "The Beverly Hills of the Desert,"[2] Scottsdale has become internationally recognized as a premiere (and posh) tourist destination."

There are some amazing resorts and hotels there. Most have excellent spas. If you like golf, the golf courses are some of the best in the country. In addition, you could visit several cool attractions in the area. The Grand Canyon is a four hour drive and very amazing to visit. Sedona, Arizona is also an attractive area about 2 hours north. Lots of Native American stuff to see in the area as well.

You'd get it all there, lying by a pool at a posh resort, golfing, taking in sites such as the Grand Canyon and Indian reservations, a vibrant nightlife, etc. And once you see the city of Scottsdale you'll be impressed as it's absolutely gorgeous. Oh and there are loads of celebrities who make it their home. There's a very good chance you will see some. Check out Wikipedia for more info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottsdale%2C_Arizona

That's my vote! One other idea is Nassau. But I highly recommend Phoenix/Scottsdale. My cousins/aunt/uncle moved there about 10 years ago and we've visited 2 times and are going again in December.
Old Nov 30, 06, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Some of these ideas are great but I have to caution you that there is very unlikely to be much available with redemption bookings to places like Mauritius, as much as it is one of my favourite places. Similarly South Africa and South America are very tough to get redemption bookings.
Old Nov 30, 06, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver
... though on the flip side I flew LHR-JNB (J) and CPT-LHR (F) in November this year on a 2-4-1 and had no trouble with availability - booked in April 06, i.e. only 7 months in advance.
Old Nov 30, 06, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oman - plenty warm, diving, 4WD in the mountains

Search this Thread