OT: The Ashes 2nd Test :: Adelaide

Old Nov 30, 06, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, TK Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat AMB
OT: The Ashes 2nd Test :: Adelaide

Well the weathers looking a bit dodgy here in ADL for tomorrow.

It's been rumbling thunder this arvo, and forecasts aren't that good for the whole test, so we may get a draw out of it.

I only have tickets for Days 3 & 4 so we'll be on the proull down at the oval in the morning. Face value only please

My limbs and bowels have since recovered from BNE and I've got rid of the crispy scalp thanks to the bread knife and its surrated edge!

The Barmy Army were in full force on Night 5 in BNE. Completely rat arsed and in full vocal in the Pig n' Whistle. My favourite chant was "Get the Bird sh!t off our Flag"

BA Headquaters in ADL is PJ Obriens.

Come on England!!!!
Old Nov 30, 06, 4:23 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
And where is the official tattoo parlour as I'm sure you'll want to immortalise this experience
Old Nov 30, 06, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Boddingtons - I'm dying to know how you do it.

Are you independently rich, have you recently come into an inheritance, do you come from a wealthy family, do you have a 'sugar-mummy', are you a criminal?

How on earth do you manage to afford both the time and money swanning half way round the world following the England cricket team?
Old Nov 30, 06, 4:54 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
Having found out what part of Manc Boddingtons is from, I think it's a wealthy Mummy and Daddy. If I were to live up there and wanted to avoid a town centre apartment, I would consider Worsley at the top end of my places to live.

Of course there is the other option of hanging about street corners late at night offering services to passing motorists.
Old Nov 30, 06, 5:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by VC10 Boy View Post

Of course there is the other option of hanging about street corners late at night offering services to passing motorists.
I never realised working as a patrolman for the AA or RAC was that profitable. Of course the only AA Boddingtons liver should be concerned about doesn't fix cars - and I'm not referring to a certain OW member.
Old Nov 30, 06, 5:17 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Eggland might have a quarter of a chance, there is an injury cloud over McGrath, and we won't name our eleven until the last possible moment.

It is a pity the weather is threatening, the Adelaide Oval is probably THE best ground in Australia for a test match, as far as the ground, facilities, and everything else goes. Sydney is a close second.

Still, we are in a drought here, so rain will be welcome, as long as it doesn't rain on the cricket!

Dave
Old Nov 30, 06, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by VC10 Boy View Post
And where is the official tattoo parlour as I'm sure you'll want to immortalise this experience
I believe that the competition will be fiercely fought on Hindley Street. During one particularly drunken night in Adelaide back in 97, I recall seeing a sign that read 'Body Piercing' and foolishly remarked to the guys "Who's gonna pay for me to get my nipple pierced?". Next thing I know I am sat in a chair with my shirt around my neck as the deed is done.

The following day I drove along the same street with a very sore nipple and saw many tattoo parlours. I am just so glad I didn't spot these first the night before!

I doubt you'll see much competition at the Adelaide Oval though
Old Nov 30, 06, 7:42 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
Ok at the risk of getting shot down I thought I would post some jokes that I got via email today.

It's started! Have a READ of these POMMIE jokes below.......

Q. What do Geraint Jones and Michael Jackson have in common?
A. They both wear gloves for no apparent reason

Q. What is the height of optimism?
A. An English batsman applying sunscreen.

Q. What does Ashley Giles put in his hands to make sure the next ball almost
always takes a wicket?
A. A bat.

Q. What would Glen McGrath be if he was an Englishman?
A. An allrounder.

Q. What advantage do Kevin Pieterson, Andrew Strauss and Geraint Jones have
over the rest of their team-mates?
A. At least they can say they're not really English.

Q. What is the English version of a hat-trick?
A. Three runs in three balls.

Q. What do you call an Englishman with 100 runs against his name?
A. A bowler.

Q. What is the most proficient form of footwork displayed by English
batsmen?
A. The walk back to the pavilion.

Q. Who has the easiest job in the English squad?
A. The guy who removes the red ball marks from the bats.

Q. Why is Andrew Flintoff the unluckiest English player?
A. Because he was born in England.

Q. What does "Ashes" stand for?
A. Another Sad Horrific English Series.

Q. What's the English version of LBW?
A. Lost, Beaten, Walloped.

Q. Who spends the most time on the crease of anyone in the English team?
A. The person who ironed the cricket whites.

Old Dec 1, 06, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
One does hope so much that those works of genius won't come back to haunt whomever wrote them.

Last edited by PhilH; Dec 1, 06 at 3:54 am Reason: Shocking grammatical error
Old Dec 1, 06, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTG + Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Thank God we won the toss. Not too bad a start either. Strauss disappointing again but KP and Collingwood are doing nicely - hopefully a ton for both in short order today. "KP GOES NUTS", let's see that headline again, please
Old Dec 1, 06, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by Boddingtons View Post
The Barmy Army were in full force on Night 5 in BNE. Completely rat arsed and in full vocal in the Pig n' Whistle. My favourite chant was "Get the Bird sh!t off our Flag"
I should have come out to the Pig'n'Whistle for a looksee that night! I knew the Barmy Army were in town (quite obvious actually ) and would have loved to see everyone drunk as skunks trying to sing while commiserating the loss

In all seriousness, Good luck for the next match. Cricket just isn't cricket unless there is some form of competition.
Old Dec 1, 06, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
My memories of the Pig and Whistle in Brisbane are entirely better, as it was where I watched the Rugby World Cup final, along with many other Brits and Aussies. There were about half and half in there, but all the noise was coming from us Poms of course. When Wilkinson "dropped for World Cup glory" as the immortal Iain Robertson commentary goes, I may, to my eternal shame, have behaved like a "twunt".

Oh well, it's not every day we beat the Aussies in Australia.
Old Dec 2, 06, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Not all students are poor Phil the Flyer, and I've never had a fkin bean off my parents! I don't know how I do it myself

I am actually enrolled at uni but I had no intention of attending other than to submit my student loan payment schedule

Cracking night in PJ O'Briens last night. Apparently I was dancing on some form of podium like object to "I get knocked down but I get up again" and have since become subject to the nickname of John Travolta - I don't actually remember performing such an act!

Paid $100 for a ticket of a tout at the ground for day 1, watched day 2 sprawlled on the couch. Its absolutely freezing here in ADL, its blowing a gale.

Oh and next time you're round the back of our house VC10 Boy, drop by for a can of Boddies. Or pink champagne, whatever you prefer
Old Dec 2, 06, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer View Post
Of course the only AA Boddingtons liver should be concerned about doesn't fix cars - and I'm not referring to a certain OW member.
I've not been drinking at the cricket I'll have you know! Water only for Mr Boddingtons

Admittedly, I was completely rat arsed last night .

However, I've not been out for the previous three nights and I'm not as bad as you may think. I only drink beer and I don't stray onto spirits unless some [email protected]@ard goes and buys me one of them stupid shooters. As a rule I dont drink in the day cos' one pint sends me to sleep and I don't drink in the house.

Problem is, I'm an extremely fast drinker with a colossal thirst!
Old Dec 2, 06, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by hobarthoney View Post

I thought I would post some jokes that I got via email today.

It's started! Have a READ of these POMMIE jokes

England 551-6d
Australia 28-1

Warne 1-167
McGrath 0-107
Lee 1-139

Keep the jokes coming.

Search this Thread