Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Attention all Muccis press the call button. How do you get to the airport? OT-ish

Attention all Muccis press the call button. How do you get to the airport? OT-ish

Old Nov 30, 06, 3:01 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
Original Poster

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Question Attention all Muccis press the call button. How do you get to the airport? OT-ish

Peachy Phil has asked me for a list of Muccis - but I thought rather than have a roll call - (although you can if you like) I have been meaning to ask you all this for ages.

How do you get to the airport? Do you dirve and if so where do you park? Do you use public transport? If so which part of the world is this from?

I'm really interested. We always go by car (that's non-work trips when of course I always drive to LHR). I just thought that if we have people from BT have a dekko - they might get some information. Should BA get more involved as car parking at the airport is daylight robbery? What do you think?

Do let me know - whilst about it if anyone thinks that they are suitable for Muccidom they may apply. As for those who already are - I am far too generous in dispensing honours so I tend to forget
Old Nov 30, 06, 3:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
Peachy Phil has asked me for a list of Muccis - but I thought rather than have a roll call - (although you can if you like) I have been meaning to ask you all this for ages.

How do you get to the airport? Do you dirve and if so where do you park? Do you use public transport? If so which part of the world is this from?

I'm really interested. We always go by car (that's non-work trips when of course I always drive to LHR). I just thought that if we have people from BT have a dekko - they might get some information. Should BA get more involved as car parking at the airport is daylight robbery? What do you think?

Do let me know - whilst about it if anyone thinks that they are suitable for Muccidom they may apply. As for those who already are - I am far too generous in dispensing honours so I tend to forget
Why not ask Muccis, and those claiming to be Muccis, to attach to their post the post from your Highness in which you conferred status upon them?

To answer your question. Here in CAI I have a 24/7 car and driver to drop me off, at LHR I'm normally returning a rental car and use the car hirer's courtesy bus - although if I've been on business in London it's either the Heathrow Express or the Piccadilly Line.
Old Nov 30, 06, 3:09 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
How do you get to the airport? Do you drive and if so where do you park? Do you use public transport? If so which part of the world is this from?
Early morning flights = minicab from home.
Day flights = always public transport (DLR to City, Tube to LHR unless it's business, in which case it's the HEX).

Honestly - I'd be really interested to know what BA can do to get more involved. What are some ideas?

John
Old Nov 30, 06, 3:13 am

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
I think I qualify??

The answer to the questions is; it depends on what airport and how long we are going for.

On the few occasions we have flown from Bournemouth we take a cab. It is cheaper than parking.

If flying to/from Southampton we vary our transport. Most of the time we drive and leave the car at long stay. Sometimes we take a cab to the station and South West Trains to Southampton Airport Parkway. Occasionally we book a car service.

If our departure point is LGW or LHR and we are going for less than 5 days then we will drive. Otherwise we do a one-way car hire with Hertz at very favourable rates (thanks to an ex-emplyers CDP number) and book a car service to take us home.

Finally if we are flying out of EDI (having driven up to take Alfie to Grandmas ) my mum or dad will drop us off and pick us up.
Old Nov 30, 06, 3:15 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I may be the only passenger who regularly cycles to an airport in London

LCY is great for this. Otherwise it's public transport by default, taxi next for earlies & lates. I live in Lambeth, and sold my car years ago.
Old Nov 30, 06, 3:16 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(

Have not yet worked out what a Mucci is but I'm happy to reply.

I live less than 5 minutes walk from Covent Garden tube station.

My flatmate takes the Piccadilly Line to LHR, takes a minimum of 70 mins door to checkin and costs less than a fiver. I take a cab to Paddington and the HEx, takes a minimum of 40 mins for T1, 45 mins for T4, for a cost of 26.

If it's a pre 8am flight, I'll pre-order a mini cab. Pick-up around 6am means I can be at T4 in 45 mins. Not sure what cost is, we have a work account.

James
Old Nov 30, 06, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTG + Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
How do you know if you're a Mucci?* What if you're not, can you still respond? Oh well, I'm not one to be coy around here, I'll respond regardless...if PUCCI calls, I jump Living in Waterloo, both LGW/LHR are farily easy for me:

Really early morning flights: Always avoid if possible Cab/minicab to HEX or GEX if not (rare!) or stay at the airport
LHR hand luggage only: Tube to Paddo, HEX [even on private trips - swore I'd never get stuck on tha Godawful hot, crowded, slow, all-stopping Piccadilly line again!]
LHR big case: Cab to Paddo, HEX
LGW hand luggage only: Mainline train from Waterloo to LGW via Cla'am
LGW big case: Cab to Victoria, GEX
LCY: Very rarely use it, but same principle - with luggage I'd cab it, without I'd Tube/DLR it

Now, STN...I have to go there on Monday for a MaxJet jobby. Thankfully it's a short trip so I'll manage on the Tube to Liverpool Street and get the, err, SEX!

* I assume "If you have to ask..."
Old Nov 30, 06, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I drive. If the trip is >2 days, I use BA Express Parking at T1 or T4. If it is a short trip, I chuck the car in the short term car park. I'm afraid using a car is more reliable, guaranteed 1 hour from the City, 40 mins from home.

Only time I use HEX/GEX is if I am flying out of LHR, returning to LGW, which is rare.

For longer holiday trips (where BA Express Parking is extortionate), I use Purple Parking at LHR or the NCP Long-Term at LGW N.

Smirny
Head of the Executive Council of Chief Muccis
Old Nov 30, 06, 3:32 am

Programs: LH, BA, DL
LHR - same as Phil the Flyer. FRA: My own car - parked directly at the airport on business trips and off-airport (w/ courtesy shuttle) for vacation. I've often wondered why airports do not offer some sort of "preferred parking scheme" for people who spend an insane amount of money for airport parking ... which is why I like your idea of somehow getting BA involved (if only to put pressure on BAA) - maybe LH/FRAPORT will follow suit!
Old Nov 30, 06, 3:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by G-BOAC View Post

How do you know if you're a Mucci?
As with all honours, you are notified personally by HRH PUCCI. See the example below:

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost?p=6573571

or this:

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost?p=6520099

or even this:

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost?p=6367537

and finally this:

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost?p=5811117

I'm hoping that a fifth bestowment of Muccidom will permit me to become the official 'preferred option' to Him Indoors. I bet BAGoldBoy doesn't have as many Mucci awards as me.

Last edited by Phil the Flyer; Nov 30, 06 at 4:39 am
Old Nov 30, 06, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by LH_Fan View Post

LHR - same as Phil the Flyer. FRA: My own car - parked directly at the airport on business trips and off-airport (w/ courtesy shuttle) for vacation.
LH_Fan - not quite what I meant to convey. Given the relatively low cost of labour here in Egypt I have my own full-time driver plus car, both supplied by my employer, for both personal and business use. Not only does he drop me off at CAI when I am flying out, he meets me when I'm flying in, thereby eliminating the headache of public transport, car parks, transfers, etc altogether. 200 duty-free cigarettes for him every time and he's as happy as the proverbial pig in sh*t.

It's not quite as grand as it sounds but believe me, you wouldn't want to drive yourself around and/or find somewhere to park in this crazy city.
Old Nov 30, 06, 3:52 am

Programs: LH, BA, DL
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer View Post
LH_Fan - not quite what I meant to convey. Given the relatively low cost of labour here in Egypt I have my own full-time driver plus car, both supplied by my employer, for both personal and business use. Not only does he drop me off at CAI when I am flying out, he meets me when I'm flying in, thereby eliminating the headache of public transport, car parks, transfers, etc altogether. 200 duty-free cigarettes for him every time and he's as happy as the proverbial pig in sh*t.

It's not quite as grand as it sounds but believe me, you wouldn't want to drive yourself around and/or find somewhere to park in this crazy city.
What I meant to say was that, at LHR, I do the same things you say you do at LHR - i.e., rental car unless the meeting's in the city when it's either Paddington Express or the tube. Sorry if my post was confusing. BTW, I use 1car1 for car rentals at LHR - they are cheap, and quite nice people.
Old Nov 30, 06, 3:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Drive - which as the journey is 143 miles to LHR and 163 miles to LGW each way - I think I can rule out cycling. Just think of my carbon emissions when I use to read the FT in the CDG lounge on a Saturday morning.

Parking at either the Business Long Stay for Terminal 4 at LHR, or Parking Express for the others depending how long I am away.

Often park if overnight at one of the Holiday Inn's at LHR and catch hopper back to car when I return.

Short term at LGW before they closed it on the special weekend deal. However the Long Term at LGW North is very good and the buses fast and reliable.
Old Nov 30, 06, 3:55 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I always use public transport, usually tube & HEX to get to LHR and First Capital Connect or GEX to LGW. I live in NW6 and don't own a car.
Old Nov 30, 06, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by Moomba View Post
I always use public transport, usually tube & HEX to get to LHR and First Capital Connect or GEX to LGW. I live in NW6 and don't own a car.
A fellow public transport fan. Having nearly missed a flight twice a few years back by being stuck on the M4 for 2 hours behind serious accidents, I either:
LHR - tube from W. London
LGW - Train to Clapham & train to LGW

Search this Thread