Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Attention all Muccis press the call button. How do you get to the airport? OT-ish

Attention all Muccis press the call button. How do you get to the airport? OT-ish

Old Nov 30, 06, 10:25 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Originally Posted by stut View Post
I did make the bizarre discovery of the LGW cyclepath (don't say that out loud too much) last weekend. Passing straight under the South Terminal, complete with a goods lift (signed 'Lift to Cycle Route') bringing you out at Zone L.

I know AMS and ZRH have cyclepaths through the airport, but I have never seen anything like the LGW one!
Was not that little tunnel parallel to the car lanes to the central terminal complex at LHR once a bike path? It always seems just barely large enough for one decently sized car, and someone once told me it originally served cyclists.
Old Nov 30, 06, 10:31 am

Programs: bablue,baamex,flyingblue ivory
Public transport

Tomorrow it will be the DLR , followed by the tube (these two are free) followed by the HEX.Allways done it this way as too tight to buy a car
Old Nov 30, 06, 10:59 am

Location: Reading, Cambridge & Edinburgh, UK, Sunnyvale, CA and Philadelphia, PA
Programs: Top Gear
Originally Posted by Teece View Post
Living in the Fens, it's pretty hard to avoid using the car.
Disagree - hop on the train to KingsX or Liverpool St, tube to Paddington, Hex from there - very easy as long as baggage is moderate. If it's a work trip, I tend to use that route to get to LHR, and have the wife pick me up for the return. Otherwise, car!
Old Nov 30, 06, 11:17 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer View Post
Was not that little tunnel parallel to the car lanes to the central terminal complex at LHR once a bike path? It always seems just barely large enough for one decently sized car, and someone once told me it originally served cyclists.
It still does serve cyclists, IIRC, it's the only way into the CTA for them. I always used to know this as the 'taxi tunnel', as it used to be reserved for black cabs.

You'd be surprised at the vehicles that can pass through it. I've had some quite scary experiences in oversized minicab MPVs...

Have you ever used the fietstunnel at Schiphol? It goes on for miles, and is rather eerie.
Old Nov 30, 06, 1:47 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
Original Poster
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy View Post
True to form as ever Phil

I believe you have already tried your scandalous advances to sunrisegirl who had the good sense to spurn you

You just show yourself for the cad and rotter that you are unlike moi who is a true gentleman

Now Darling - true Gentleman you may be - but be kind, considerate even. He is far far far older than you - indeed he is far far far far older than me. I have alway loved men older than myself. I collect them. Muccmellows I call them.

You are the Next Generation - you are Gold Boy. Actually Gold is worth less than you are.

For those who think that I am being true to twenty-two - you are quite right but this is the British Airways Forum and our never to develop past adolescence brains are quite capable of dealing with this.

There is however one person whose voice I have not heard and I need Sheep to bring her here ASAP for honours are to be bestowed - no - showered upon her.

In the meantime - Sundance. Arise. You are henceforth a Mucci. You need not curtsey each time that I enter the Forum. It is time that the Women of BA Forum arose and accepted the adulation that is our due.

Now, you must excuse me I hear the siren call of the Valium bottle. Valium, Bombay Gin, Slimline Schweppes with scads of ice and the Telegraph crossword and a cuddly toy. Bliss.
Old Nov 30, 06, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
In the meantime - Sundance. Arise. You are henceforth a Mucci. You need not curtsey each time that I enter the Forum. It is time that the Women of BA Forum arose and accepted the adulation that is our due.
Thank you kind Pucci - I am truly honoured to be among such a select group of people. I also knew you'd have sympathy on anyone working for VC10 Boy

Enjoy your Bombay ^ - but what's the valium for? HI not behaving himself again
Old Dec 1, 06, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19300 Lifetime TPs
It still does serve cyclists, IIRC, it's the only way into the CTA for them. I always used to know this as the 'taxi tunnel', as it used to be reserved for black cabs.
IIRC there's a "cycle lane" painted down the middle of the carriageway; I've never seen a cycle use it and I can't imagine that if one did (a) it would be very popular with the cabbies (b) the cyclist's lung function wouldn't be rather impaired by the end (mind you, I once - only once - cycled through the Rotherhithe Tunnel and survived).
Old Dec 1, 06, 4:43 am

I've never actually driven to LHR when in London.

Many varied ways of getting there though:

1. Bus from Whoop Whoop which took just about forever!
2. Train, then Piccadilly line on the tube.
3. Tube only.
4. Bus, Bus, then HEX.
5. MiniCab paid for by friend's relative

#4 only occured when I realised one Sunday morning that the tube didn't start as early as I thought! Oops. Faced with an indecent Pound cab fare or the unsolicited mini cab offers or getting to LHr through some other way I managed to catch a bus to Victoria(?) station, then to Paddington, and the HEX the rest of the way. Made it in time

#2/#3 can be indecent at times. The Picadilly line can be a nightmare. One time I remember seeing everyone fret and double check their tickets as the time ticked over while waiting for a train to clear the stations in front of us. Not to mention the heat inside the tubes!
Old Dec 1, 06, 5:07 am

Programs: FB Platinum,EC Gold,M&M SEN, SPG Gold, HH Gold
I may be the only passenger who regularly cycles to an airport in London

LCY is great for this. Otherwise it's public transport by default, taxi next for earlies & lates. I live in Lambeth, and sold my car years ago.
so it's true when they say that are people in London living without car!!!
Old Dec 1, 06, 6:00 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by pardino View Post
so it's true when they say that are people in London living without car!!!
Actually, I can only think of one person I know who lives in London and does have a car (and that's only used once every couple of months for trips out of town). Most only use public transport, and I can think of 4 friends, beside myself, whose primary mode of transport is bike. I don't know if that's typical of Londoners, or just a reflection of my group of friends...

When I moved to South Lambeth, I looked over my expenses, and discovered that a car just wasn't worth it. For all the times I would use a car (early airport journeys, moving heavy items, going to rural areas), it would cost me far, far less (as in almost a tenth of the cost) just to get taxis or hire when needed.

And this suits me fine. With all the money saved, I have managed to get two gorgeous bikes (one massive town bike, one shiny, chainless folding bike) imported from the Netherlands, among many other things!
Old Dec 1, 06, 6:25 am
SLF

Programs: Various
I could do public transport, if I was prepared to fit in with the restrictive timetables (so no early morning flights, or late evenings back in) and one or two connections - and devote 2 or 3 hours for it - for something which can be done in a car in 35 minutes. Hence, I either drive (leisure) or use a car service (business/leisure). The latter being preferable, as I can then make full use of the lounge & inflight catering .
Old Dec 1, 06, 9:02 am

Programs: BA-Gld, BD Lifetime Gld, LH Pleb, *Wd GPG, HH-Dmd, Amex: can take their Cent card and <CENSORED>
Well, technically it's Willard who is a MUCCI, and he is carried to the Airport by one of his flunkies, and only really starts to pay attention once he's arrived at the (premium) Check-In. (Though he does sometimes drive a Hire Car).

As for WillardKeeper and I:

For MAN -

Well, it really astounds me that an airport that has a railway station inside it can still have such hopeless ground transportation!! unless you happen to live next-door to Manchester Piccadilly station, the train seems pretty hopeless, we've tried it, and it's a day's journey on it's own! So we generally either take a car service (though finding one you can trust is always a problem) or drive and park at the airport. But over the years I think we've probably tried pretty much every option, including trains (as above - hopeless), taxis (expensive), Busses (Better than the train but a pretty long haul), stretch limos (makes a nice surprise for Pat) and, of course, driving myself. Approach by car is still the best option, though hardly the most environmentally friendly.

For LHR -

In the good old days, when there was a 2-class service MAN-LHR and you could clear security without a body cavity search, and check luggage through without a permission slip signed by Willie/Nigel* (*Delete where not applicable) We would pretty much always arrive as domestic connecting passengers, as it started the trip off nicely, and made for a less stressful approach to LHR (i.e. without the need to navigate check-in with luggage). Thesedays, sadly, driving is the option, either via one-way hire (yes, it really is cheaper to hire a car 1-way in each direction than it is to park at LHR for a week!) or by driving down and using one of the Bath road Hotel "Park and Fly" deals (I'm off to BKK next week, and have got a great deal on parking - they even throw in a hotel room for free!). If I'm in London, then it's pretty much always the HEX, but rail connections seem to be a real pain into LHR, and even whilst I'm working daaan saarf it's still far simpler to drive into LHR than it is to use the railway line that seems to run within about 2 miles the the place .

LGW probably has slightly better transport links, but I never will understand the logic of having a railway station at the airport than bans you from taking luggage trolleys onto the platform - and I think that sums up everything that is wrong with our transport system. Travelling from AMS, I wouldn't even think twice about taking the train in, and the process of getting from the train to the plane is pretty painless, FRA and ZRH are similarly well served, and even BRU has a well thought out rail link from the airport to the city, though it all breaks down a bit when you get to the station at the other end and find out that none of the lifts work and there are 10 million stairs between you and the taxi rank (which, incidentally, will be empty). I really, really want to be a good boy and not use my car, and when I work outside the UK I generally don't even have a car, but in my own country, public transport just seems to exist to make me arrive late, poor, and frustrated

Ken.

Willard the Bear - And at least I get my own seat when I'm in the car!
Old Dec 1, 06, 9:10 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
Now that my entire household has been made a Mucci bar me, I have decided that Muccidom is a little bit COMMON.

Personally the very least I'm hoping for now is Companion of the Bedchamber.
Old Dec 1, 06, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Prem, LH Blue, Thai Gold ,KLM Ivory, Priority Club Plat, HiltonH Gold, Marriott gold
What the F*%@ is a Mucchi??
Old Dec 1, 06, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by VC10 Boy View Post
Now that my entire household has been made a Mucci bar me, I have decided that Muccidom is a little bit COMMON.

Personally the very least I'm hoping for now is Companion of the Bedchamber.
Darling boss, a Mucci is far from common. I know your feelings are hurt, but don't worry, you can share my glory and I'm sure Tomasz will say the same.

Hugs

Search this Thread
Search Engine: