Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IB says may end up with AF or LH!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2006, 1:37 am
Original Poster

IB says may end up with AF or LH!

Regardless of one's views of IB (which I will experience for the first time in December ) it would be bad news for OW if not BA to lose a carrier with such a strong LatAm route network.

Iberia Lineas Aereas de Espana SA,
Spain's largest airline, may forge links with Air France-KLM and
Deutsche Lufthansa AG, the Financial Times said, citing an
interview with Chief Financial Officer Enrique Dupuy.
Dupuy said British Airways Plc had not made Iberia one of
its main concerns and the priorities of the two airlines ``are
not always the same,'' the FT reported.
British Airways Plc, Europe's third-biggest airline,
controls 10 percent of Madrid-based Iberia and the two airlines
jointly manage routes linking the U.K. and Spain.
Of possible links with Air France-KLM, Lufthansa or British
Airways, Dupuy said Iberia would be ``part of one of them,'' the
FT reported.
Ryanair Holdings Plc's bid for rival Aer Lingus Group Plc
was the start of a ``merger process among the European
carriers,'' Dupuy told the FT.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 1:52 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by aristoph
Regardless of one's views of IB (which I will experience for the first time in December ) it would be bad news for OW if not BA to lose a carrier with such a strong LatAm route network.
I agree. For about the same price as an ex-EU J ticket on BA to GRU, you can fly on IB via Madrid in their J product, saving five hours and earning 40 more tier points (320 vs 280) assuming you ditch the last leg LHR-EU when on BA.

Effectively here in the UK we get the IB version of ex-EU tickets on BA, because MAD-GRU prices up to around Ł1k more expensive than LHR-MAD-GRU.

I'd like to try them for my Brazil trip (after next week's on BA) so hope they stick around in OW.

James
Old Nov 30, 2006, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Fingers crossed this is just IB upping the price for any take-out deal but I'm not sure BA is ready to cough up for them. LH, on the other hand, has deep pockets.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aristoph
Fingers crossed this is just IB upping the price for any take-out deal but I'm not sure BA is ready to cough up for them. LH, on the other hand, has deep pockets.
The pension fund issues alone mean BA would have to think very hard about taking on IB. Having said that, it would be the most logical next merger in the European airline scene.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 5:22 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
LH buying IB would have a quite an implication for the strong current relationship between LH and Spanair.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by AJLondon
LH buying IB would have a quite an implication for the strong current relationship between LH and Spanair.
Spanair of course is partly owned by SK, although I don't think that would preclude a deal.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given that OW airlines seem to be only on the very edge of Europe, then surely TAP would be a far more appropriate partner.

Not to mention Icelandair, Air Malta aad perhaps Air Moldova could be the next to join.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 7:04 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
[QUOTE=Smirnoff;6770511]Given that OW airlines seem to be only on the very edge of Europe, then surely TAP would be a far more appropriate partner.
QUOTE]

If you mean TAP as a OW partner I'd be pretty chuffed, as it would open up the north of Brazil to OW pax without the need to backtrack from GRU/GIG.

James
Old Nov 30, 2006, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Not to mention Icelandair, Air Malta aad perhaps Air Moldova could be the next to join.
ROFLMAO!
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:17 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
More words from Dupuy with a hint of IB moving away from alliance with BA

http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1164888630.html
Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:35 am

Programs: MUCCI
I have read a couple of articles on the net about Iberia's apparent ambivalence to BA and OW.

If this is really true and IB is about to defect to LH or AF then I think that this is really bad news for BA in the long term. BA will have to merge with someone in the long term and the only large airline left in Europe would be Alitalia (and who would want them as they are the most appalling airline I have ever travelled on!!!! I hope they go bust soon!!!) It is also no good for OW as a long term stratgey to have only one large European carrier.

Lets face it, other carrriers in Europe: AF, LH, EI, TP, OS, SAS, Swiss. They are all tied in already. What is left?? Cyprus and Olympic?????? Even Aeroflot has got in on the act and is part of Skyteam
Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:13 pm

Programs: CO Gold Elite, BA Blue, for the moment - Hyatt Gold Passport, Priority Club, Marriott etc etc
Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
BA will have to merge with someone in the long term and the only large airline left in Europe would be Alitalia (and who would want them as they are the most appalling airline I have ever travelled on!!!! I hope they go bust soon!!!)
Suck they do, but they're part of SkyTeam too. You can't have them - they're excellent for using up my OnePass miles to go drink limoncello.

Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
Even Aeroflot has got in on the act and is part of Skyteam
And so happy we are to have them too
Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IB in *A????

Nooooooooool !
Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:08 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Dupuy now claims he was misunderstood in his comments about the IB alliance with BA

http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1164918368.html
Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Moomba
Dupuy now claims he was misunderstood in his comments about the IB alliance with BA

http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1164918368.html
Not quite - this is the chairman contradicting what the FD said yesterday and putting him back in his box.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.