Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IB says may end up with AF or LH!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Today's Lex column says BA should go for it (IB)!

British Airways Plc shouldn't hesitate to explore a merger with Spain's Iberia Lineas Aereas de Espana SA, or it risks losing out on becoming a big player in Europe, the Financial Times said today in its ``Lex'' column.
British Airways owns a 10 percent share of the Spanish
airline, and Chief Financial Officer Enrique Dupuy said this
week that BA had not put a high priority on the connection, according to the FT. He said the airline might consider links with Air France-KLM and Deutsche Lufthansa AG, the column said.
If the ``open skies'' agreement is signed between the
European Union and the U.S., big mergers will be routine, the column said. A few airlines will dominate, and the rest will get swallowed up, the FT said.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 8:46 am

What exactly is IB unhappy about?
Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
What exactly is IB unhappy about?
Not getting purchased.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:59 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (blue), BMI Diamond Club (blue)
Thanks for letting me know about this article. Will come in handy as I write a 3500 word essay about strategic alliances in travel and tourism
Old Dec 1, 2006, 12:32 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
BA joining *A would be a disaster for Europe (count your OW partners on the fingers of barely one hand - AY which only has coverage to / from Scandinavia - and soon MA with coverage in the eastern European markets. The emerging strength with *A is its Euro coverage. Perhaps OW is re-positioning as a purely longhaul-focused alliance. Contrast this with the coverage of LH, LX, JK, TP - but then maybe the move here is on offloading unprofitable intra-Euro routes. I dunno but for OW the defection would spell bad news...
Old Dec 1, 2006, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by virtualtroy
BA joining *A
Oops, I guess you mean IB
Old Dec 1, 2006, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by virtualtroy
Contrast this with the coverage of LH, LX, JK, TP - but then maybe the move here is on offloading unprofitable intra-Euro routes. I dunno but for OW the defection would spell bad news...
But the good news for OW is that I don't actually have any desire to fly on any of the above mentioned airlines.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
But the good news for OW is that I don't actually have any desire to fly on any of the above mentioned airlines.
I just flew LX JFK-GVA on Monday night in J -- while the service was good and the meal was fine, the seat was totally 90s and not very comfortable...hard to believe LX used to be a top airline.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 1:30 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by frankvb
Oops, I guess you mean IB
Oops indeed
Old Dec 2, 2006, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
...hard to believe LX used to be a top airline.
I guess you're thinking about SR. LX was never great, but they do have a number of new longhaul Airbuses on order.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 5:11 am

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat(x2), BMI Gold, IC Ambassador, etc
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
I suspect OW's days are numbered, especially if BA defects - Aer Lingus has had rumors of dropping out for who knows how long, so what's really left..
Old Dec 2, 2006, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gpan
I suspect OW's days are numbered, especially if BA defects - Aer Lingus has had rumors of dropping out for who knows how long, so what's really left..
It has been known for 2 months that Aer Lingus will withdraw in April next year http://www.oneworld.com/ow/news/deta...f=1&showhtml=0. Plus I hardly think the OW alliance will come tumbling down for want of EI!
Old Dec 2, 2006, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by aristoph
It has been known for 2 months that Aer Lingus will withdraw in April next year http://www.oneworld.com/ow/news/deta...f=1&showhtml=0. Plus I hardly think the OW alliance will come tumbling down for want of EI!
No, but CP disappeared; with EI (just about) gone, IB apparently on the verge of leaving and no mutual AA/BA UK-US credit, where does that leave OW compared with *A?

In a poor competitive situation.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Roger
No, but CP disappeared; with EI (just about) gone, IB apparently on the verge of leaving and no mutual AA/BA UK-US credit, where does that leave OW compared with *A?
MA more than compensates for EI

JL more than compensates for CP

Then there's RJ which will be good for a few more dodgy destinations.

Where does that leave OW? Back where it was when CP was an airline, and EI.. was an airline.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Roger
IB apparently on the verge of leaving and no mutual AA/BA UK-US credit, where does that leave OW compared with *A?

In a poor competitive situation.
*A also doesn't allow UK-US credit on BA.

Is this the end of *A??!!!

Do you honestly think IB is leaving? That news article on the topic was, well, very Spanish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.