20% off at Selfridges this weekend from BAEC

Old Nov 29, 06, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
20% off at Selfridges this weekend from BAEC

Just received this in an email from BAEC... don't know if it's already been posted, apologies if so, or whether it was sent to all BAEC members.. Doesn't appear to be any restriction on who can use it...

http://www.selfridges.com/index.cfm?page=1224
Old Nov 30, 06, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by jamesmax View Post
Just received this in an email from BAEC... don't know if it's already been posted, apologies if so, or whether it was sent to all BAEC members.. Doesn't appear to be any restriction on who can use it...

Yep I got it as well, there is some funky BA barcode at the bottom though.
Old Nov 30, 06, 2:52 am

It is welcome but, like all these Selfridges deals, most of the larger brands are not participating (so VC10Boy won't be able to stock up! )
Old Nov 30, 06, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
If you own shares in retailers, SELL NOW. The end of the world is nigh!

Debenhams & BHS 20% off last weekend, Next one-day-spectacular, Selfridges (good grief) 20% off pretty much everything in DECEMBER .... things are not looking good out there!

I spent £380 in Selfridges 2 weeks ago, but luckily the item is still unopened and I have 28 days to take it back for a refund - so guess what I'm going to be doing on Friday lunchtime!
Old Nov 30, 06, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Club, Priority Club Club
Amex are also promoting this offer and I received an email from the yesterday as well.

Originally Posted by American Express

Selfridges like to celebrate Christmas early, which is why they would like you to have these special pre-Christmas gifts. Firstly, from Friday 1 to Sunday 3 December 2006, you'll enjoy 20% off* your Christmas shopping, with 10% off* beauty and fragrance products, when using your American Express® Card. And secondly, you'll be entered into a free Prize Draw to win a luxury Selfridges Christmas hamper worth £180.

When, where and how

To qualify for your discount, simply print off your Christmas Comes Early voucher http://email.americanexpress.com/a/h...AM5bO6CS/amex8 and present it, along with your Card, at the till point before you make your purchases.

For store locations and opening times visit www.selfridges.com or call 08708 377 377.

Win a stylish Selfridges Christmas hamper

Visit Selfridges on 1, 2 or 3 December 2006 and every time you pay using your American Express Card you'll be entered into a free Prize Draw to win a luxury Selfridges Christmas hamper worth £180.

Enjoy more offers

For more irresistible American Express Selects offers click here or visit www.americanexpress.co.uk/selects

*Some exclusions apply. For full details see in-store or visit http://www.selfridges.com/christmasc...rly/exclusions for details. All discounts will be applied at the till point on 1, 2 and 3 December 2006. Registered address: Selfridges Retail Limited, 400 Oxford Street, London, W1A 1AB.

Terms and Conditions for Prize Draw
Entrants must be aged 18 or over
The free Prize Draw excludes employees of American Express or Selfridges or anyone connected with the promotion.
Automatic Entry: each time an American Express Cardmember makes a transaction at any Selfridges store during the promotional period, they will be automatically entered into the free Prize Draw. The promotional period for the Prize Draw is Friday 1 - Sunday 3 December 2006 inclusive.
Alternatively, entrants may send a paper-based entry to American Express/Selfridges Luxury Hamper Prize Draw, with their name, address and the date clearly stated, to American Express Europe Ltd, ESE UK Marketing, UMC 45-06-012, 6th Floor, Portland House, Stag Place, London SW1E 5BZ to be received by Sunday 3 December 2006 where it will be entered into the Prize Draw and will have the same chance of winning as those Cardmembers who entered via the transaction route. Entries lost, damaged or tampered with will not be eligible. Proof of posting will not be accepted as proof of delivery. No purchase is necessary.
One paper-based entry per envelope will be submitted to the Prize Draw.
Submitted paper-based entries will not be returned.
The prize is for one luxury hamper from Selfridges worth £180. There is no cash alternative.
The Prize Draw will take place on 10 January 2007. The winner will be notified by post no later than 28 days from 10 January 2007.
The winner will be selected at random and the selection process will be witnessed by an independent judge. The judge's decision is final and binding.
American Express and Selfridges will not be liable for any damage or loss to persons or property resulting from the prize.
American Express reserves the right to publicise the winner in future publications.
The winner's name and country of residence, and the name of the independent observer will be available for six months after the date of the draw to anyone who sends a SAE to American Express Europe Ltd, ESE UK Marketing, UMC 45-06-012, 6th Floor, Portland House, Stag Place, London SW1E 5BZ after 20 January 2007. No further correspondence will be entered into.
All the details in this mailing form part of the Terms and Conditions of the promotion and should be retained.
The promoter is American Express Europe Ltd, Portland House, Stag Place, London SW1E 5BZ. Registered in England and Wales with number 1833139.
Old Nov 30, 06, 4:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post

If you own shares in retailers, SELL NOW. The end of the world is nigh!

Debenhams & BHS 20% off last weekend, Next one-day-spectacular, Selfridges (good grief) 20% off pretty much everything in DECEMBER .... things are not looking good out there!

I spent £380 in Selfridges 2 weeks ago, but luckily the item is still unopened and I have 28 days to take it back for a refund - so guess what I'm going to be doing on Friday lunchtime!
Serious question - Living overseas for most of the year I'm not always necessarily fully up to speed with goings-on in England.

I'm looking to spend approx GBP7,500 in London on a watch this Christmas/New Year. Although I'll get the VAT back anyway, does the current chill that appears to be blowing through the UK retailing industry extend to an openness to offer discounts upon request to customers on higher-end items?
Old Nov 30, 06, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer View Post
... does the current chill that appears to be blowing through the UK retailing industry extend to an openness to offer discounts upon request to customers on higher-end items?
It's always worth a try and is not guaranteed but Yes, especially on high margin items like jewellery and watches.

My wife can be embarrassing ... and successful .
Old Nov 30, 06, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Club, Priority Club Club
Serious question - Living overseas for most of the year I'm not always necessarily fully up to speed with goings-on in England.

I'm looking to spend approx GBP7,500 in London on a watch this Christmas/New Year. Although I'll get the VAT back anyway, does the current chill that appears to be blowing through the UK retailing industry extend to an openness to offer discounts upon request to customers on higher-end items?
Perhaps it's just me being from the North, but spending that amount of money I can think of NO good reason why you wouldn't ask the retailer if that were their best price.....

Jewellery for my other half is usually met with at least a 10% discount - normally over £1500 spend - doubt you'd get such a discount at Elizabeth Duke.

You have nothing to lose - and if the shop assistant treats you with contempt for asking, I suggest you take your money elsewhere.

NGBTS
Old Nov 30, 06, 5:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by NotGoingBackToSteerage View Post
Perhaps it's just me being from the North, but spending that amount of money I can think of NO good reason why you wouldn't ask the retailer if that were their best price.....

Jewellery for my other half is usually met with at least a 10% discount - normally over £1500 spend - doubt you'd get such a discount at Elizabeth Duke.

You have nothing to lose - and if the shop assistant treats you with contempt for asking, I suggest you take your money elsewhere.
NGBTS - Don't worry about being from the North. Although I'm an Essex boy by birth, years of living in the Middle East has taught me to haggle for the price on almost everything.

I could buy what I'm looking for at somewhere like Dubai Duty Free - my wife's travelling through there next week and will check out the prices - or even in the US as I'm there every few months, although somewhat surprisingly prices there aren't as competitive as usual, even allowing for the current relative weakness of the US$.

I can get 20% off UK list by ordering on-line, but although I'm a great fan of internet shopping I don't trust that source for a relatively expensive watch. No, I'm looking to buy at somewhere like Harrods, Watches of Switzerland, or Selfridges, with the VAT refund. I've had my present Cartier for 21 years now (bought in Amsterdam in 1985); a gold Breitling has taken my fancy.
Old Nov 30, 06, 5:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
I've got mine too, just a shame I won't be able to get anywhere near Selfridges this weekend. Wish they could be extended.
Old Nov 30, 06, 5:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
I can get 20% off UK list by ordering on-line, but although I'm a great fan of internet shopping I don't trust that source for a relatively expensive watch. No, I'm looking to buy at somewhere like Harrods, Watches of Switzerland, or Selfridges, with the VAT refund. I've had my present Cartier for 21 years now (bought in Amsterdam in 1985); a gold Breitling has taken my fancy.
Would it not be cheaper to buy a £200 WT ticket to New York and get it there? The exchange rate is looking very good today!
Old Nov 30, 06, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
does the current chill that appears to be blowing through the UK retailing industry extend to an openness to offer discounts upon request to customers on higher-end items?
The problem is actually down to the lack of 'chill' - it is 13 degrees centigrade today and the market for winter clothing has collapsed. With the sales due to start in 27 days, few people will now bother buying new winter stuff at full price now even if it a cold snap does hit, which itself is looking unlikely. A very wet November has also put people off going shopping.

For these reasons, the Selfridges promo is surprising because less than half the store is given over to clothing - albeit as a % of sales it is probably higher.
Old Nov 30, 06, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by flyclub View Post

Would it not be cheaper to buy a £200 WT ticket to New York and get it there? The exchange rate is looking very good today!
flyclub - thanks for the suggestion. Given that I was shopping in Manhattan just last month (when the exchange rate was around 1.89) I can safely say that - contrary to expectations - the prices were not that competitive, at least on the particular item I was looking for.

I'll be returning to the States at Easter anyway - apart from owning a house there outlet mall shopping is always worth going there for.

No, it'll either be Dubai Duty Free or London with the VAT refund and, hopefully, a further discount from the shop. Thanks anyway.
Old Nov 30, 06, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by jamesmax View Post

Thankyou, I was literally checking my e-mails before I left for Selfridges when I saw this. 20% more christmans presents for everyone... actually I plan to pocket the saving and spend it on 20% more drinks afterwards!!
Old Nov 30, 06, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
flyclub - thanks for the suggestion. Given that I was shopping in Manhattan just last month (when the exchange rate was around 1.89) I can safely say that - contrary to expectations - the prices were not that competitive, at least on the particular item I was looking for.

I'll be returning to the States at Easter anyway - apart from owning a house there outlet mall shopping is always worth going there for.

No, it'll either be Dubai Duty Free or London with the VAT refund and, hopefully, a further discount from the shop. Thanks anyway.
I am also a Breitling fan and found that haggling with the regular shops in Dubai led to much more reasonable prices than the duty free.

BKK can also be a very good place to buy a Breitling, if you are in the area. I would only consider this in the ritzier shopping places (e.g. Emporium). Central Chidlom have a good watch department and you can easy to pick up a discount of up to 25%at this time of year, via those coupon things they hand out woth every purchase.

Search this Thread