Buy a car on Amex?

Old Nov 29, 06, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Buy a car on Amex?

Who will take Amex for a new car? Virgin did but seem to have died.(Mrs Philco wants a Prius to avoid the extended congestion charge starting in Feb and just happens to have a new card on triple miles for another 2 months!).
Old Nov 29, 06, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
This old thread may help:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345981
Old Nov 29, 06, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by philco
Who will take Amex for a new car? Virgin did but seem to have died.(Mrs Philco wants a Prius to avoid the extended congestion charge starting in Feb and just happens to have a new card on triple miles for another 2 months!).
You could always take a short term rent on a dive somewhere within the zone, re-register your car to that address, get a couple of utility bills, and way hay (whey hey?) you qualify for a 90% discount.
Old Nov 29, 06, 5:35 am

I was in the US a couple of months ago, and I saw that Honda do a hybrid Civic now - have they made them over here yet? Might be a better alternative to a Prius?

As regards buying a car on Amex, I think Fraser did it a while back? I think you may have to go into a dealer and negotiate.
Old Nov 29, 06, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
You could always take a short term rent on a dive somewhere within the zone, re-register your car to that address, get a couple of utility bills, and way hay (whey hey?) you qualify for a 90% discount.
Nice one.. except you don't know Mrs Philco:-
Whilst, like most of us (myself included) she thinks nothing of her personal annual responsability for +- 30,000 lbs of CO2 emmissions as she moves in luxury to an fro at 39,000ft (source:www.terrapass.com/flight/flightcalc.html), it behoves her to change to a hybrid car in order to do her bit. As she drives a mere 2000 miles a year that will, according to the same source, save the world to the tune of just 400lbs of co2 annually. Tragically the figures don't persuade her. My only hope is to earn lots of miles from the purchase to offset the unwarranted cost of a Prius. (feeling cynical today - sorry folks) By the way, why do all Hybrids have to look as ugly as sin? Flight international a few weeks ago had a story of an eco-Hybrid aircraft with no windows and "jets" within the fuselage. Yuk! Sounds no better than a Prius!
Old Nov 29, 06, 6:02 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
[QUOTE=philco]By the way, why do all Hybrids have to look as ugly as sin? QUOTE]

One of the reasons Prius has done so much better than the Civic hybrid is that the Prius looks weird, so owners can flaunt their green credentials. People aren't prepared to pay the extra bucks for a hybrid that looks like a regular car.
Old Nov 29, 06, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Dave_C
I was in the US a couple of months ago, and I saw that Honda do a hybrid Civic now - have they made them over here yet? Might be a better alternative to a Prius?
There are quite a number of hybrids out over here at the moment, most people seem to be enjoying the Japanese ones though I think Ford have them too in some of their small SUVs. I'm not sure how many have made the transition from the land of $2.10/gallon to 99p/litre though....

Originally Posted by Dave-C
As regards buying a car on Amex, I think Fraser did it a while back? I think you may have to go into a dealer and negotiate.
Indeed I did. Although it wasn't as a result of the good advice from the linked thread. My only data point is with an Audi dealer in RCOB in March '05, managed to negotiate their maximum allowed on credit cards of 1000 up to 10,000.
Old Nov 29, 06, 6:29 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by philco
Nice one.. except you don't know Mrs Philco:-
Whilst, like most of us (myself included) she thinks nothing of her personal annual responsability for +- 30,000 lbs of CO2 emmissions as she moves in luxury to an fro at 39,000ft (source:www.terrapass.com/flight/flightcalc.html), it behoves her to change to a hybrid car in order to do her bit. As she drives a mere 2000 miles a year that will, according to the same source, save the world to the tune of just 400lbs of co2 annually. Tragically the figures don't persuade her.
If she's just concerned about co2 rather than the congestion charge, the Prius isn't the least polluting. We have a Smart for zooming around London in; they're amazing little cars, huge inside (as long as there are only two of you), take a surprisingly large amount of luggage, and use hardly any fuel indeed (we seem to get over 60mpg in town). My wife drives about 6000 miles a year in it. The diesel version (ours is petrol) does something like 75-80mpg and produces 90g/km of CO2 compared to 104g/km for Prius (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4834480.stm).

But if you are concerned about the c-charge and live in a house rather than a flat, you might as well go the whole hog and buy an electric car. Then you won't have to pay for parking in central London either.

The Smart starts at something like 7k; even with pretty much all the options available, it's still cheap. How many other cars with all mod cons such as a 6-speed sequential auto gearbox, traction control, antilock brakes, panoramic glass roof, air conditioning, heated leather seats, electric everything, hi fi, sat nav etc etc can you get new for 10k?

I tried to buy our Smart on the credit card but they wouldn't let me (complained about the commission, 2.5% or whatever). In the end IIRC they agreed to let me put 2k on the credit card and the rest by bank transfer.

Last edited by BAAZ; Nov 29, 06 at 6:35 am
Old Nov 29, 06, 6:34 am

Programs: AA(EXP), BA, Hilton, Starwood
Don't forget the pollution produced during production of all those batteries *and* their eventual landfill leach.

But be secure that the Chinese have promised to bring in statup of one of their 200+ scheduled new coal plants to offset any savings you might generate.
Old Nov 29, 06, 6:37 am

Programs: Meh!
If she really wants to er... save .... the most money consider a Lexus rx400h - a Chelsea Tractor which should save you the forthcoming enhanced 25 per day congestion charge rather than the 8 per day for normal cars.

Search this Thread